Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 89

Thread: Oil Spill’s Blow to BP’s Image May Eclipse Costs

  1. #31
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Everything plastic that you own is because of oil. Oil is used in all of our machines. It's not just about energy. That's why I said that an idea that we are going to be independent of oil is just a pipe-dream.
    Like plastic is something to be worried about being rid of?

    Wow, do you some sort of deep-seated hatred for the health of our one and only planet?

  2. #32
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    You should be worried about not being able to use plastic. I bet you don't even know how important plastic is. Come back once you've researched that a little.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #33
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    Like plastic is something to be worried about being rid of?

    Wow, do you some sort of deep-seated hatred for the health of our one and only planet?
    No, plastic is not important... says the person tapping away on plastic keys, attached to his plastic computer case, with a plastic mother board holding plastic encased memory, and hooked up to plastic insulated cables or wires.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  4. #34
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    What claim have I made?
    What claim?

    How about, "trickie dickie is implicated again...."

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  5. #35
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    So, you recognize your error; I've made no claims.

    As for your fun parlor game of pretending to be able to read minds, I suggest you have your inference detector checked; it's defective.
    Yeah, and if I posted an article claiming that Obama was a Kenyan with the comment "Looks like Obama's citizenship is in question...," it would be entirely unreasonable to infer that I agreed with that article.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    We're never going to be independent of oil. Get that pipe dream out of your head. Oil is somewhere in the process of making basically everything today.
    That is due to corporate will, not necessity. Hemp oil can replace the majority of petroleum needs outside of fuel. As fuel, Hemp SHOULD be one of many alternatives.

  7. #37
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    That is due to corporate will, not necessity. Hemp oil can replace the majority of petroleum needs outside of fuel. As fuel, Hemp SHOULD be one of many alternatives.
    If it's an untapped resource that is economically viable, then go for it. Right now, we get the oil where we get it from because it is the cheapest place to get it.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #38
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    What claim?

    How about, "trickie dickie is implicated again...."
    Uh. Do you know what the word "implicated" means?

    It's a fact, Gill; Cheney is being implicated for his role in allowing BP/Halliburton to drill without an acoustic fail-safe switch, and not by me. It's a breaking story, but hell, they've already heard about it in England...

    Dick Cheney and the Oil Spill

    As we know from our own comment threads right here on this very blog, right-wingers are expert at taking a few facts from situations that appear to be superficially similar but really aren't upon reflection or closer examination and using them to attack liberals.

    And so, in the last few days, the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico has become Obama's Katrina. Um...look, I'm as pro-pelican as the next guy, and obviously I don't mean to gainsay the scope of this environmental catastrophe, which will end up being staggering.

    But Katrina killed about 1,500 humans. And no, it's not George Bush's personal fault that they died, either. But I still rate Katrina a far bigger tragedy for that reason.

    And now it turns out, according to an environmental lawyer whose interview on Ed Schultz last week is getting a lot of circulation, that this leak may well be traceable in part to...Dick Cheney.

    How? It's hardly as far-fetched as it sounds. From the Wall Street Journal:

    The oil well spewing crude into the Gulf of Mexico didn't have a remote-control shut-off switch used in two other major oil-producing nations as last-resort protection against underwater spills.

    The lack of the device, called an acoustic switch, could amplify concerns over the environmental impact of offshore drilling after the explosion and sinking of the Deepwater Horizon rig last week...

    ... regulators in two major oil-producing countries, Norway and Brazil, in effect require them. Norway has had acoustic triggers on almost every offshore rig since 1993.

    The U.S. considered requiring a remote-controlled shut-off mechanism several years ago, but drilling companies questioned its cost and effectiveness, according to the agency overseeing offshore drilling. The agency, the Interior Department's Minerals Management Service, says it decided the remote device wasn't needed because rigs had other back-up plans to cut off a well.

    The U.K., where BP is headquartered, doesn't require the use of acoustic triggers.

    The Journal's report doesn't come out and say this, but the environmental lawyer, Mike Papantonio, said on the Schultz show in an interview you can watch here that it was Cheney's energy task force - the secretive one that he wouldn't say much about publicly - that decided that the switches, which cost $500,000, were too much a burden on the industry.

    In the interests of disclosure I will note that I haven't heard the phrase "acoustic switch" until this weekend, so I don't really know. And obviously the fact that the US isn't alone in not requiring this switch indicates that there are legitimate questions about cost v. efficacy. So maybe it's just one of those things.

    But then again, maybe it's not. Regulatory decisions have consequences all the time, and the people who made them should be asked to justify their decisions in a democracy. It'll be very interesting to watch this week and see if other news outlets pursue this. --The Guardian
    Maybe you should pay more attention to the news.
    Last edited by Glinda; 05-12-10 at 08:28 PM.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    If it's an untapped resource that is economically viable, then go for it. Right now, we get the oil where we get it from because it is the cheapest place to get it.
    You're mistaken and uninformed on that. Petroleum is far and away more expensive to recover than it is to grow hemp and process it into oil.

  10. #40
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Then like I said, you collect the oil from the hemp and start selling it. If it's as profitable as you say it is, you'll become rich in no time.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •