Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 107

Thread: "I Do Think At A Certain Point You've Made Enough Money"

  1. #31
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: "I Do Think At A Certain Point You've Made Enough Money"

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I have to agree with him. At some point you just run out of things to buy. Big house, fast car, private jet, young pretty wife, then what? Then you have to start getting creative. (indoor bowling alley) After you've been creative, you have to get silly. (a second private jet for when you want to fly on a BLUE plane instead of a WHITE plane) Then you have to get stupid. (third or fourth houses you never live in) Then obscene. (million dollar parties for your dog)

    Instead of the million dollar party for your dog, maybe we should use that money to pay for some road fixing or hiring some more ($)#ing air traffic controllers because the FAA is so underfunded we've got most of our controllers working overtime AND SURELY NOTHING CAN GO WRONG WITH THAT.

    Woops. Got a little off topic there.
    You're right. There's actually a thread on here suggesting that the U.S. should lower the minimum wage. So our country would rather make poor people poorer rather than increase taxes on those who are wealthier in order to pay for our nation's infrastructure.

  2. #32
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: "I Do Think At A Certain Point You've Made Enough Money"

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    So Oprah, Pro athletes, movie stars, should be taxed more or paid less. If the Feds want more of the CEO's salary in taxes, then the others should pay. I wonder how this would affect Bill Gates charity foundation contributions, or the cash available for new investments? As we all know the goverment knows what is best for us.
    So we're now going to have to start up charities to get mass transportation set up in areas without it?

  3. #33
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: "I Do Think At A Certain Point You've Made Enough Money"

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    You're right. There's actually a thread on here suggesting that the U.S. should lower the minimum wage. So our country would rather make poor people poorer rather than increase taxes on those who are wealthier in order to pay for our nation's infrastructure.
    In actuality, minumum wage increases level out when prices increase to pay them, simultaneously, no one else's wages are raised to compete. So therefore you lower everyone else without picking up salaries for those at the bottom, so you don't elevate anyone, just spread around monetary depreciation. YAY! Enough misery to go around! Let's throw a party.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #34
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: "I Do Think At A Certain Point You've Made Enough Money"

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I have to agree with him. At some point you just run out of things to buy. Big house, fast car, private jet, young pretty wife, then what? Then you have to start getting creative. (indoor bowling alley) After you've been creative, you have to get silly. (a second private jet for when you want to fly on a BLUE plane instead of a WHITE plane) Then you have to get stupid. (third or fourth houses you never live in) Then obscene. (million dollar parties for your dog)

    Instead of the million dollar party for your dog, maybe we should use that money to pay for some road fixing or hiring some more ($)#ing air traffic controllers because the FAA is so underfunded we've got most of our controllers working overtime AND SURELY NOTHING CAN GO WRONG WITH THAT.

    Woops. Got a little off topic there.
    Well to continue with your off topic, I couldn't agree more about ATC's but before we do that we should update our antiquated ATC systems which is about 60 years out of date. That said, I believe it is no ones business how much someone makes or how they spend it.

  5. #35
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: "I Do Think At A Certain Point You've Made Enough Money"

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You REALLY mean to say that you disagree with EVERY decision GWB made?
    Wow. Talk about partisan bigotry.
    I agree. Bush was a mixed bag. So is Obama. What we did in 2008 was trade one bag of mixed nuts for another bag of mixed nuts.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #36
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: "I Do Think At A Certain Point You've Made Enough Money"

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    In actuality, minumum wage increases level out when prices increase to pay them, simultaneously, no one else's wages are raised to compete. So therefore you lower everyone else without picking up salaries for those at the bottom, so you don't elevate anyone, just spread around monetary depreciation. YAY! Enough misery to go around! Let's throw a party.
    You're right. Instead, let's lower the minimum wage and increases taxes on the wealthy because they're the only one who will have any money to pay for them.

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,951

    Re: "I Do Think At A Certain Point You've Made Enough Money"

    How much money someone makes is their personal business. I think "at a certain point the government has spent top much money." Would Obama ever admit that he is too rich and makes too much? Nope. But will he say that people earning 200k+ make too much? He already has said that and has promised to take more of their cash because they make too much. He paints the rich as evil people, yet he fits in the same income bracket (actually he surpasses it). The problem is that our senators are too wealthy, which makes them less able to understand the needs of the average income person. The have been removed from reality and live on some throne that dictates that the rich are evil (except for them, they are exempt).

  8. #38
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,124

    Re: "I Do Think At A Certain Point You've Made Enough Money"

    i accept Obama's position as an expressed opposition to plutonomy

    certainly citigroup recognizes that the rich drive the economy. is that what the average American believes is appropriate, that we should have the best government money can buy? seems Obama does not subscribe to that either:
    Powered by Google Docs
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #39
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: "I Do Think At A Certain Point You've Made Enough Money"

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    How much money someone makes is their personal business. I think "at a certain point the government has spent top much money." Would Obama ever admit that he is too rich and makes too much? Nope. But will he say that people earning 200k+ make too much? He already has said that and has promised to take more of their cash because they make too much. He paints the rich as evil people, yet he fits in the same income bracket (actually he surpasses it). The problem is that our senators are too wealthy, which makes them less able to understand the needs of the average income person. The have been removed from reality and live on some throne that dictates that the rich are evil (except for them, they are exempt).
    Hyperbole is not helpful to your cause.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,427

    Re: "I Do Think At A Certain Point You've Made Enough Money"

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't think money is necessary at all. All it does is complicate one's life, IMO.
    You're right you're in the minority.

    Coming from someone who inherited wealth and doesn't have to worry about a job? That's just outrageous. I think you've completely lost your perspective on what the average individual is striving for on a daily basis.

    I'll trade you my job for your money, since money's not important...how about that?

    Sure everyone wants to not have to work and to live in a safe, clean area with good access to spend their liesure time. It takes a lot of effort for most people though. Even if people work 9-5, they are working a lot less than they would have 300 years ago, and they have a lot more liesure time, live longer, etc. Click on your power, your lights, your stove, your TV, your phone, your AC, your shower....yeah, those all came from effort (money).

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •