Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 194

Thread: Bin Laden had 'no clue' about Sept. 11 retaliation

  1. #31
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,322
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bin Laden had 'no clue' about Sept. 11 retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Go ahead, see what happens. You made that asinine contention, we supposedly reconciled what each of us meant. But I guess a dishonest person like you, tends to forget that in an attempt to slam someone.



    As to your asinine contention. I think Bush dropped the ball as well, by not taking the threats seriously. While your searching why don't you look for that as well.


    Now are you done with your big mouthed baiting/flaming or are you going to continue to try to derail this thread with your nonsense.
    This is typical, you blame me because I called you for taking the word of a terrorist, something you would condemn any one on the left for doing. It's not my fault there is no depth you will not stoop to score political points.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #32
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    10-20-11 @ 03:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    371

    Re: Bin Laden had 'no clue' about Sept. 11 retaliation

    Everyone stop doing personal attacks! It's tiresome. Talk about the topic on hand. Give credit where credit is due, and stop bringing up old threads that have nothing to do with this one. Talk about information that has come out from OBL Sources or government sources, talk about failures and successes of certain administrations that are pertaining to this topic. If someone believes something, post something relevant to refute the oppositions points, it's very simple. I have faith in all of you!

  3. #33
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,610

    Re: Bin Laden had 'no clue' about Sept. 11 retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This is typical, you blame me because I called you for taking the word of a terrorist, something you would condemn any one on the left for doing. It's not my fault there is no depth you will not stoop to score political points.


    Do you have anything on the topic, or are you simply going to troll me today?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #34
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Bin Laden had 'no clue' about Sept. 11 retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwing86 View Post
    Yeah well, it's been well known in the intelligence community for some time now that OBL had no idea we were gonna strike back with such force. My major is Homeland Security and I have had former FBI agents as my instructors + all the books written after the fact mention this. It was not only Clinton though. But you are correct in stating that after such things as the USS Cole, African Embassies, 93 trade tower attack, etc etc. OBL figured that since we did not retaliate very hard after these attacks than why should he have to worry after 9/11? He really did believe we would cave in and collapse as a society and never fly again, never travel, and especially not retaliate as hard as we did. Not many people truly understand this, glad you pointed it out to the masses.
    As I see it, the reason we didn't do much is we really couldn't, for two reasons.

    First, the attacks were just soft enough not to justify taking it to the next level of invading a Middle Eastern country, which had all kinds of negative political problems with it. The Arab countries would go ballistic claiming it was a pretext. Nobody could say that after 9/11.

    Second, bin Laden was still an individual, and it's hard for us to hit him. Once he got firmly entangled with the Taliban, though, he was much more a state actor with a military force to engage. We could use military force against that.

    The mistake the critics are making is looking at our tools and thinking the biggest, most aggressive tool (military action) is the best or most effective one. It may have made us feel good to invade somebody, but it didn't mean it was wise at the time.

  5. #35
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,322
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bin Laden had 'no clue' about Sept. 11 retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Do you have anything on the topic, or are you simply going to troll me today?
    You are not going to explain why the words of a terrorist are credible, other than you want them to be true?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #36
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    10-20-11 @ 03:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    371

    Re: Bin Laden had 'no clue' about Sept. 11 retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    As I see it, the reason we didn't do much is we really couldn't, for two reasons.

    First, the attacks were just soft enough not to justify taking it to the next level of invading a Middle Eastern country, which had all kinds of negative political problems with it. The Arab countries would go ballistic claiming it was a pretext. Nobody could say that after 9/11.

    Second, bin Laden was still an individual, and it's hard for us to hit him. Once he got firmly entangled with the Taliban, though, he was much more a state actor with a military force to engage. We could use military force against that.

    The mistake the critics are making is looking at our tools and thinking the biggest, most aggressive tool (military action) is the best or most effective one. It may have made us feel good to invade somebody, but it didn't mean it was wise at the time.
    Good points. I am not arguing whether the Clinton administrations did or did not do enough. I am simply stating the fact the OBL did not think we would attack a Middle Eastern country for the very same reasons you listed. OBL is not stupid, a very well educated man. He understood that those attacks listed were as you say "soft" or possibly not enough to warrant a full on attack by American forces. He assumed he could bump it up a notch and see how far he could push the United States, and he lost that gamble. He did not think we would invade, we did and crushed the Taliban and pushed back Al Q. severely decimating his forces. That is what we are discussing but, very good points.

  7. #37
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,610

    Re: Bin Laden had 'no clue' about Sept. 11 retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You are not going to explain why the words of a terrorist are credible, other than you want them to be true?



    You know what. Your strawman has failed.


    I also quote this guy as well.. Used to start threads to discuss.

    The Future of Terrorism: What al-Qaida Really Wants - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International




    See when the enemy tells you something, you should listen. What would his motivation be for lying in this case?
    Last edited by ReverendHellh0und; 04-27-10 at 12:33 PM.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #38
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    10-20-11 @ 03:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    371

    Re: Bin Laden had 'no clue' about Sept. 11 retaliation

    Also, keep in mind Mister, that people were fed up with these attacks. Even before 9/11, people wanted something done. How many more attacks would OBL have done if we had not reacted as hard as we did? How many more American Embassies, naval vessels, airline hijackings, terminal hijacks, Olympic games, suicide bombers, attempted political assassinations would these terrorist groups do before these "soft" attacks became too common? You may call them "soft" attacks and I understand what you mean, but these families that lost loved ones I guarantee you do not refer to them as "soft" attacks. American civilians and servicemen still died. Now maybe you could suggest that we work behind the scenes with Delta Force, Army Rangers, Seals, Green Berets etc... and maybe you are right that this would have been more effective, truly though, I doubt we will ever know. I would love to talk more but I have a test in a couple hours on Juvenile Justice, and I need to get a 80+ on the exam. I'll be back on here later though.

  9. #39
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Bin Laden had 'no clue' about Sept. 11 retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwing86 View Post
    Good points. I am not arguing whether the Clinton administrations did or did not do enough. I am simply stating the fact the OBL did not think we would attack a Middle Eastern country for the very same reasons you listed.
    Yes, I know, I was just adding my thoughts.

    OBL is not stupid, a very well educated man. He understood that those attacks listed were as you say "soft" or possibly not enough to warrant a full on attack by American forces. He assumed he could bump it up a notch and see how far he could push the United States, and he lost that gamble. He did not think we would invade, we did and crushed the Taliban and pushed back Al Q. severely decimating his forces. That is what we are discussing but, very good points.
    Agreed.

  10. #40
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Bin Laden had 'no clue' about Sept. 11 retaliation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwing86 View Post
    Also, keep in mind Mister, that people were fed up with these attacks. Even before 9/11, people wanted something done. How many more attacks would OBL have done if we had not reacted as hard as we did? How many more American Embassies, naval vessels, airline hijackings, terminal hijacks, Olympic games, suicide bombers, attempted political assassinations would these terrorist groups do before these "soft" attacks became too common? You may call them "soft" attacks and I understand what you mean, but these families that lost loved ones I guarantee you do not refer to them as "soft" attacks. American civilians and servicemen still died. Now maybe you could suggest that we work behind the scenes with Delta Force, Army Rangers, Seals, Green Berets etc... and maybe you are right that this would have been more effective, truly though, I doubt we will ever know. I would love to talk more but I have a test in a couple hours on Juvenile Justice, and I need to get a 80+ on the exam. I'll be back on here later though.
    Nobody knows for sure how far they could push these "soft" attacks (by which I mean just not as big and not on US soil - I agree that "soft" really isn't the right word). Would alot of small attacks had the same impact on our response as one big one did on 9/11? Hard to say.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •