Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 116

Thread: NorfolkVA judge orders website shut down

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    NorfolkVA judge orders website shut down

    Norfolk judge orders anti-Burfoot website taken down | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

    "A judge Wednesday forced the removal of a website attacking Vice Mayor Anthony Burfoot and the city's treatment of downtown clubs.

    Circuit Court Judge Charles E. Poston ordered an immediate removal of the website May4thCounts.com, stating that other legal action "is not adequate under the particular circumstances of this case."

    GoDaddy.com, the site's host, removed the content later in the day.

    The website appeared last week, about a month before City Council elections. Burfoot, a target of the website, brought the suit in Circuit Court."

    This is my hometown. I am ashamed of it. Talk about suppression of free speech combined with ugly politics! This story should go national soon.
    Last edited by LiberalAvenger; 04-22-10 at 07:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: NorfolkVA judge orders website shut down

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Norfolk judge orders anti-Burfoot website taken down | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

    "A judge Wednesday forced the removal of a website attacking Vice Mayor Anthony Burfoot and the city's treatment of downtown clubs.

    Circuit Court Judge Charles E. Poston ordered an immediate removal of the website May4thCounts.com, stating that other legal action "is not adequate under the particular circumstances of this case."

    GoDaddy.com, the site's host, removed the content later in the day.

    The website appeared last week, about a month before City Council elections. Burfoot, a target of the website, brought the suit in Circuit Court."

    This is my hometown. I am ashamed of it. Talk about suppression of free speech combined with ugly politics! This story should go national soon.
    City municipalities have decided to follow the socialistic leanings of the Obama regime.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: NorfolkVA judge orders website shut down

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    City municipalities have decided to follow the socialistic leanings of the Obama regime.
    Please tell us what part of socialist theory involves clamping down on free speech? Last I checked this was pretty common regardless of political leaning. You know what? Why don't you just do us all a favor and drive your bike on one of those streets built by socialism?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 04-22-10 at 08:55 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: NorfolkVA judge orders website shut down

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    City municipalities have decided to follow the socialistic leanings of the Obama regime.
    Aw, come on now bike. I know you are a lot smarter than that.

    There are some serious issues involved here.

    I did not know, for example that a lowly city circuit court judge could shut down an internet site for no valid reasons that I can see.

    I can't wait to see how this plays out. It is going to be a huge can of worms about corrupt government. If they be liberal democrats who are guilty, amen.,

  5. #5
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: NorfolkVA judge orders website shut down

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    City municipalities have decided to follow the socialistic leanings of the Obama regime.
    It was the Bush regime who set up the "free speech zones." It was also during the Bush regime that it was determined we have a 200-mile wide "Constitution-free zone" strip from our borders.

  6. #6
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: NorfolkVA judge orders website shut down

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    It was the Bush regime who set up the "free speech zones." It was also during the Bush regime that it was determined we have a 200-mile wide "Constitution-free zone" strip from our borders.
    Examples and sources?

  7. #7
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: NorfolkVA judge orders website shut down

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Aw, come on now bike. I know you are a lot smarter than that.

    There are some serious issues involved here.

    I did not know, for example that a lowly city circuit court judge could shut down an internet site for no valid reasons that I can see.

    I can't wait to see how this plays out. It is going to be a huge can of worms about corrupt government. If they be liberal democrats who are guilty, amen.,
    You and I are in agreement here, LA, but you have to admit it. These city municipalities are getting on the band wagon and following in Obama's footsteps. I know you are an Obama fan, yet you are incensed at the Courts stepping on freedom of speech. I predict come next election, you will be voting Republican straight through. Now, back to Burfoot. I don't live in this city, but exactly who does Burfoot think he is and why does he think he has the right to sue a citizen for questioning his ability to lead? It has been a long time rumor that the Norfolk City Council is one crooked machine. Looks like they have the Courts in their back pockets as well.

  8. #8
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: NorfolkVA judge orders website shut down

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Please tell us what part of socialist theory involves clamping down on free speech? Last I checked this was pretty common regardless of political leaning. You know what? Why don't you just do us all a favor and drive your bike on one of those streets built by socialism?
    What street would that be?

  9. #9
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: NorfolkVA judge orders website shut down

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    It was the Bush regime who set up the "free speech zones." It was also during the Bush regime that it was determined we have a 200-mile wide "Constitution-free zone" strip from our borders.
    Free speech zones were used before the bush Administration. Bush's secret service guys just expanded on the idea.

    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone"]free speech zones[/ame]

    The most prominent examples were those created by the United States Secret Service for President George W. Bush and other members of his administration.[3] Free speech zones existed in limited forms prior to the Presidency of George W. Bush; it was during Bush's presidency that their scope has been greatly expanded.
    The term "constitution free zone" was new to me. It seems to refer to the area near the border where people are stopped at random in a way that should be unconstitutional. It seems quite a few of us live in Constitution free zones.

    constitution free zones;

    # Normally under the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the American people are not generally subject to random and arbitrary stops and searches.
    # The border, however, has always been an exception. There, the longstanding view is that the normal rules do not apply. For example the authorities do not need a warrant or probable cause to conduct a “routine search.”
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #10
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: NorfolkVA judge orders website shut down

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Please tell us what part of socialist theory involves clamping down on free speech? Last I checked this was pretty common regardless of political leaning. You know what? Why don't you just do us all a favor and drive your bike on one of those streets built by socialism?
    Socialist is the new liberal. It means anything bad.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •