Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 171 to 180 of 180

Thread: Media Exaggerate Tea Party's Sway

  1. #171
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,450

    Re: Media Exaggerate Tea Party's Sway

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I find it kind of funny that the Tea Partiers are blaming Obama, who came into office after the crash began. They should be blaming the president whose policies started the whole process that finally culminated in the collapse of our economy - Bill Clinton.
    Was Greenspan more influential in this role than any of the presidents? What do political leaders really know about the economy and finance oversight anyway?

  2. #172
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    Re: Media Exaggerate Tea Party's Sway

    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post


    SNIP


    It's all nonsense, you can't be Libertarian if you advocate taking my money and giving it to indians whom I have never oppressed or denied liberty too.



    I'm not a Chiricahua either; I'm simply emphasizing solidarity with others of our people. The Navajo are closely related enough to the Apache that I could conceivably do the same if I actually were a Navajo.

    So you are a native American and do have a dog in this fight. noted.





    Contradiction.

    When the substantial legacy of past aggression has spawned the current distribution of income, wealth, and property, how is defense of that distribution libertarian, as it contains the false assumption that the corporate economy is a free market?


    You are not entitled to my vast fortune. Sorry,.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #173
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chinle, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-29-10 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    276

    Re: Media Exaggerate Tea Party's Sway

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    It's all nonsense, you can't be Libertarian if you advocate taking my money and giving it to indians whom I have never oppressed or denied liberty too...You are not entitled to my vast fortune. Sorry,.
    Contradiction. Think of trying actual refutations one of these days. Before he got all hissy, Goshin was actually speaking reasonably and inquisitively.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    So you are a native American and do have a dog in this fight. noted.
    I'm a Mescalero Apache. I have no "dog in this fight," because I don't live on the Mescalero reservation in New Mexico and haven't for decades, which means that I don't have entitlements to the same benefits as residents. I'm also not poor, and haven't been personally affected by the general conditions of Native Americans much. I just know that I'm lucky. I also threw out what I thought would be the most obvious example, not the only example.

  4. #174
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    Re: Media Exaggerate Tea Party's Sway

    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    Contradiction. Think of trying actual refutations one of these days. Before he got all hissy, Goshin was actually speaking reasonably and inquisitively.


    There is nothing to "inquire" regarding reparation nonsense as a libertarian ideal.




    I'm a Mescalero Apache. I have no "dog in this fight," because I don't live on the Mescalero reservation in New Mexico and haven't for decades, which means that I don't have entitlements to the same benefits as residents. I'm also not poor, and haven't been personally affected by the general conditions of Native Americans much. I just know that I'm lucky. I also threw out what I thought would be the most obvious example, not the only example.



    I've done volunteer work on the Cochiti pueblo when I lived in NM.... That said, you are Apache, you bias for reparations is absolute whether or not you personally want my money or not.


    You can be for reparations, but its most assuredly NOT a libertarian principle.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #175
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chinle, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-29-10 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    276

    Re: Media Exaggerate Tea Party's Sway

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    There is nothing to "inquire" regarding reparation nonsense as a libertarian ideal. You can be for reparations, but its most assuredly NOT a libertarian principle.
    Contradiction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I've done volunteer work on the Cochiti pueblo when I lived in NM....
    Really? Glad to hear it. Ever met Arnold Herrera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    That said, you are Apache, you bias for reparations is absolute whether or not you personally want my money or not.
    Ad Hominem.

    Come on, buddy, this game's getting tiresome. You're smarter than this; you can at least attempt to refute the central point.

  6. #176
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    Re: Media Exaggerate Tea Party's Sway

    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    Contradiction.



    Really? Glad to hear it. Ever met Arnold Herrera?

    I don't recall, it was years ago, early 90's.


    Drum maker, Right?


    Ad Hominem.

    Come on, buddy, this game's getting tiresome. You're smarter than this; you can at least attempt to refute the central point.



    I have. Libertarian has to do with liberty, no taking my property and giving it to someone else because of the percieved injustices of another.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #177
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chinle, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-29-10 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    276

    Re: Media Exaggerate Tea Party's Sway

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I don't recall, it was years ago, early 90's.

    Drum maker, Right?
    Yes, though that could have been quickly discovered on the Internet. But it's not important anyway; I have no way of knowing if you actually met the guy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I have. Libertarian has to do with liberty, no taking my property and giving it to someone else because of the percieved injustices of another.
    And since property theft is wrong, stolen property must be returned. The argument runs like this:

    1. Aggression and its consequences are wrong.

    2. The consequences of aggression should be subject to rectification. If it means that someone has been stolen from, he ought to be repaid.

    3. The current distribution of income, wealth, and property exists in the context of the corporate economy. This was created on the foundations of unjust dispossession of the indigenous, enslavement of Africans, state empowerment of monopolists (read some Lysander Spooner), and a long history of other state intervention in the economy. As a result, that distribution is a consequence of aggression.

    4. Therefore, based on a foundational premise of the moral wrongness of aggression and its consequences, a foundational premise that the consequences ought to be rectified, and a foundational premise of the creation of current economic conditions by statism, my conclusion is that substantial redistribution and reparation is the only solution to this problem.

    Not too difficult.

  8. #178
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Media Exaggerate Tea Party's Sway

    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    This is the disagreement hierarchy that Ill be referring to for the purposes of classification of some of these comments, since Id like to have a real dialogue instead of all this nonsense.
    A real dialogue with whom? Seems to me you're far more enamored with the sound of your own voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    Name Calling.

    There are consistent libertarians, and there are conservatives who pretend to be libertarians to gain a little street cred or whatever. Rothbard's the former kind. Harry Guerrilla and geopatric seem to be the former kind. The "libertarians" who have started screeching here seem to be the latter kind.
    So ... you're name calling. Noted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    Have you actually read the libertarian classics and learned how to consistently apply principles of non-aggression? Most of the costumed Republicans don't seem to have done so. That's why so much of the most consistent and principled libertarian dialogue is on mises.org: https://mises.org/Community/forums/t/1343.aspx
    Yes, I have read them.

    If you like the forum over at mises.org better, take your Indian ass over there instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    Contradiction.

    And hell, you'd expect two-bit assertions to do even less. When property is stolen, recovery is the moral right of the owner. So, here's the issue that I've been posing: When the substantial legacy of past aggression has spawned the current distribution of income, wealth, and property, how is defense of that distribution libertarian, as it contains the false assumption that the corporate economy is a free market?
    False premise. Aggression did contribute to how we arrived at this point, but it is but a small part of it. And even if we were to grant that the whole system was built on aggression, from whom should property be taken? To whom should it be given? I never killed any Indians to get my land, and you never had any land stolen from you. And which land are you going to take? How can you prove that your great-great-great-great grandfather owned this land? The simple answer is that you can't. (As an aside, this is basically the reason for the common law doctrine of adverse possession ... a doctrine by which you would still lose.)

    In any event, you using the government as your proxy to initiate force to take what is mine does not fit in any libertarian paradigm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    Please answer that with an actual argument, if you can.
    You're welcome. Feel free to take notes, if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    Responding to Tone.

    Your comment's not accurate, though. Guilt by irrelevant association is fallacious:

    1. Hitler had a mustache.

    2. Hitler had evil goals.

    3. Men with mustaches have evil goals.

    Guilt by relevant association is not.

    1. Hitler oversaw the genocide and attempted genocide of peoples he despised, committing monstrous acts of aggression.

    2. Hitler had evil goals (and the evil goals were directly related to premise 1).

    3. Those with an interest in advocating such genocide and aggression have evil goals.

    If I point out similarities in ideological and political opinions between white supremacists and others and the similarities are related to principles foundational to white supremacist doctrines, such as the employment of authoritarian social policies against racial and ethnic minorities, that is a relevant association. It reveals what should be an unacceptably close mindset.
    Yeah. So where is the "advocating ... genocide and aggression" happening?

  9. #179
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: Media Exaggerate Tea Party's Sway

    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post


    Let's not deceive ourselves: If I had been ignorant of the topic, you would have pulled out Kennewick Man and declared him a devastating refutation of the very foundations of my beliefs. I never claimed that you had connections to Stormfront; I was trying to show you the shallow nature of claims that Native Americans are not the oldest residents of this hemisphere. I was hoping that you'd be revolted enough by what's on Scumfront to reconsider.
    You're doing an adequate job of decieving yourself, it would seem. I'd never heard of Kennewick Man before you brought it up.


    And wrong, at that. Telling me that I “sidestepped” anything is nothing but ironic, since you ignored the majority of my post to simply comment on Stormfront, rather than address the central point. I strongly emphasized the fact that your hypothetical situation would be irrelevant unless such aggression had an impact on the current conditions of the Ainu...... etc etc etc etc

    No sir. I asked you a hypothetical question, pulling the Ainu out of my memory simply because they are an aboriginal people whose origin was uncertain. My question to you was if you would hold the same position if the shoe was on the other foot; namely if people of "your kind" stood to lose everything because of reparations for some ancient wrong your distant ancestors had done to someone else's distant ancestors.

    You didn't answer my question, instead you brought Stormfront into it... "straw man", making it seem as if my question was associated with neo-nazi racism rather than simply answering the damn question. Forget the Ainu, who cares who it could be, it's a hypothetical question about whether you'd hold the same position, if you and those you consider your own people were being told they should lose all in reparations for some ancient wrong against some other people.

    You don't want to answer the question straight up, because you know darn well that answering in the affirmative leaves you open to charges of hypocrisy. Hardly anyone living is such an utter saint that they'd be perfectly content to see themselves and everyone they consider "their people" lose everything over an old wrong committed by long-dead people, against long-dead people.
    Last edited by Goshin; 04-30-10 at 11:28 PM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #180
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    Re: Media Exaggerate Tea Party's Sway

    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    Yes, though that could have been quickly discovered on the Internet. But it's not important anyway; I have no way of knowing if you actually met the guy.

    Like i said i dont recall. But i mean i mus. Have run to google to impress you that i knew of a drum maker






    And since property theft is wrong, stolen property must be returned. The argument runs like this:

    1. Aggression and its consequences are wrong.

    2. The consequences of aggression should be subject to rectification. If it means that someone has been stolen from, he ought to be repaid.

    3. The current distribution of income, wealth, and property exists in the context of the corporate economy. This was created on the foundations of unjust dispossession of the indigenous, enslavement of Africans, state empowerment of monopolists (read some Lysander Spooner), and a long history of other state intervention in the economy. As a result, that distribution is a consequence of aggression.

    4. Therefore, based on a foundational premise of the moral wrongness of aggression and its consequences, a foundational premise that the consequences ought to be rectified, and a foundational premise of the creation of current economic conditions by statism, my conclusion is that substantial redistribution and reparation is the only solution to this problem.

    Not too difficult.



    You are correct. It's not too difficult. I never took your land or money therefore you have no right to mine. Libertarianism 101.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •