Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 122

Thread: Stockton cop earns $100K in Overtime!!!

  1. #71
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,717

    Re: Stockton cop earns $100K in Overtime!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Hiring new officers can actually be more expensive than paying overtime when you consider the cost of equipment, training, fringe, benefits, etc. It's a fine line. On the surface, you'd think that you could just hire another officer for $100k.

    But, in reality, it would probably be more.
    yep...like about 180k a year.

  2. #72
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Stockton cop earns $100K in Overtime!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Hiring new officers can actually be more expensive than paying overtime when you consider the cost of equipment, training, fringe, benefits, etc. It's a fine line. On the surface, you'd think that you could just hire another officer for $100k.

    But, in reality, it would probably be more. You're talking about thousands in training, plus equipment (uniforms, vest, badge, gun, baton, etc.), plus fringe & FICA & benefits & vcacation & state retirement fund. It's a lot to hire officers. And, what if you are using grant dollars, and can't afford to keep that person on board when the grant runs out? that's why departments often pay out grant funds in overtime versus hiring.

    That's one of the things that made the COPS program under Clinton different, he required departments to hire new officers and put them on the streets.

    Damn...I'm old.
    I turn 64 in a few weeks....wasn't there a Beatles song about age 64?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  3. #73
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Stockton cop earns $100K in Overtime!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Depends on the cost of the ticket.
    No it doesn't. It's a total number. How much does the total revenue from tickets, minus paying cops to write them, does your town take in, and what percentage is that of the total budget?

    Of course a citizen can't but your acting as if police are the first line of personal defense, which they are not.
    I'm not acting like that at all. I never said it, ever.

    Maybe I over generalized it a bit but then at the same time you have locks on your car, home and you put money in a bank for a reason.
    Well, duh.

    You do things every day to prevent or make it harder for people to do stuff to you.
    No, I leave all my posessions out in my front yard and wait for the cops to come if anyone walks off with them.

    Of course the cops can't protect everyone and everything all the time. But that's a far cry from saying they are useless in fighting crime - which is what YOU said.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Stockton cop earns $100K in Overtime!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No it doesn't. It's a total number. How much does the total revenue from tickets, minus paying cops to write them, does your town take in, and what percentage is that of the total budget?
    Can't find the budgetary listings.
    It doesn't really matter all that much though because I said I over generalized.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No, I leave all my posessions out in my front yard and wait for the cops to come if anyone walks off with them.

    Of course the cops can't protect everyone and everything all the time. But that's a far cry from saying they are useless in fighting crime - which is what YOU said.
    I didn't say they were useless, I said they usually can't prevent crime.
    There is a difference.
    You're putting words in my mouth.

    I even admitted to over generalizing and you seem to still want to press me.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #75
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Stockton cop earns $100K in Overtime!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Can't find the budgetary listings.
    Then you probably shouldn't have an opinion on it.

    It doesn't really matter all that much though because I said I over generalized.
    Okay.

    I didn't say they were useless, I said they usually can't prevent crime.
    There is a difference.
    You're putting words in my mouth.
    Sorry. But they can prevent crime. By catching criminals, they deter other people from comitting crimes out fear of being caught too.

    I even admitted to over generalizing and you seem to still want to press me.
    I'm all done pressing.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Stockton cop earns $100K in Overtime!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Then you probably shouldn't have an opinion on it.
    How about no.

    A lot of the local police are camped on the main highway through my small county, I travel it daily and see them issuing tickets regularly.

    Just because I can't produce specific budget revenue reports from tickets doesn't mean I don't, at least, see what I think is over enforcement of traffic violations.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #77
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Stockton cop earns $100K in Overtime!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    How about no.

    A lot of the local police are camped on the main highway through my small county, I travel it daily and see them issuing tickets regularly.

    Just because I can't produce specific budget revenue reports from tickets doesn't mean I don't, at least, see what I think is over enforcement of traffic violations.
    Sorry, but seeing some cops out on the highway doesn't tell you squat about whether they are overenforcing anything or whether they are doing it to make money.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Stockton cop earns $100K in Overtime!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Sorry, but seeing some cops out on the highway doesn't tell you squat about whether they are overenforcing anything or whether they are doing it to make money.
    It tells me enough if they camp it on a regular basis.

    Just because I don't have specific numbers on the amount of money it generates does not take away from that point.
    I live in a rural place and the largest town has 32 officers, so when I see 3 to 4 of them enforcing traffic violations on the highway on a rotating schedule.
    It lends to the point that there may be over enforcement.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #79
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Stockton cop earns $100K in Overtime!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It tells me enough if they camp it on a regular basis.
    No it doesn't.

    Just because I don't have specific numbers on the amount of money it generates does not take away from that point.
    Yes it does.

    I ive in a rural place and the largest town has 32 officers, so when I see 3 to 4 of them enforcing traffic violations on the highway on a rotating schedule.
    It lends to the point that there may be over enforcement.
    Maybe. Why don't you go find out instead of speculating? Speculating can get you in trouble.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Stockton cop earns $100K in Overtime!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No it doesn't.
    How?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Yes it does.
    How?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Maybe. Why don't you go find out instead of speculating? Speculating can get you in trouble.
    Sometimes it can and sometimes it can't.
    I'm pretty good at speculation.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •