Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 416

Thread: We are a Christian Nation....

  1. #71
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Sorry....you are still wrong. It doesn't matter whether the vast majority of the "founding fathers" were "Christian" or not. The bottom line is that they smart enough to have the wisdom to make this a religious neutral country.

    They did not make this a "Christian Nation". It never has been one.

    If you keep trying though....you might just get it. Start by taking a look at the Constitution. That should help you get there eventually.

    Yeah... I'm kind of struggling here, maybe you can help me.

    You're a big Obama supporter, right? Based on your sig line.

    I guess you were okay with Obama saying that based on Muslim population, the US would be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world? (I'm pretty sure that is inaccurate, anyway, but...)

    But even though most of the Founders were Christians of some sort, or Deists who held judeo-christian values in high regard, and even though 78% of Americans self-profess to be Christian, you think its just flat wrong to say this country has Christian roots, or that its foundation was rooted in Christianity?

    We don't have a Christian GOVERNMENT, true. That is, we do not have a theocracy and government is expressly warned to keep its paws off religion. But I'd say that 78% is a significant number, if we're talking about what a society professes to believe, and where its roots are.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #72
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    We don't have a Christian GOVERNMENT, true. That is, we do not have a theocracy and government is expressly warned to keep its paws off religion. But I'd say that 78% is a significant number, if we're talking about what a society professes to believe, and where its roots are.
    Would you say that at least 78% of that 78% were indoctrinated as children into the Christian religion?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #73
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    See that is the thing. I will respect anyone's beliefs. I have even taken a couple of course in college to get a better understanding. But once you start trying to force me to believe, or try and force me to take something from your religion that is where we have a problem.

    I have had wonderful conversations with people from numerous religions and learned a lot. It is when you cross the line from understand to forcing is where I start getting pissed and I start saying things like I did to those two fellows.

    Although I did go talk to the pastor of the church to explain to him what happened because I found out they told him what I said. I told him the only reason I said it was because they kept following me and trying to give me something I didn't want.
    Exactly. But the right-wing fanatics that try to argue that this is a "Christian Nation" ruin it for the reasonable people who just want to be able to practice their religion and be respected.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #74
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Would you say that at least 78% of that 78% were indoctrinated as children into the Christian religion?
    No.

    I've known plenty of adult converts who were not raised in church.

    I'll grant that a majority probably grew up in church, but not all by a long shot.

    In any case, doesn't this continue to point to the fact that America has Christian roots, if so many Americans are brought up with Christian families?

    (speaking more generically, to whatever dog I may hit with this rock...)

    Hey, be a Buddhist or an atheist or whatever, I don't care. I'm not going to try to force you to be a Christian. I don't believe in forcing people to accept Christ, its against my entire belief system.

    But don't pretend that judeo-christian traditions and morality were not important in the founding of this country, and don't pretend that Christianity is some tiny group of fanatics who ought to be ignored, mmkay?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #75
    Advisor PonyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    06-24-10 @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    587

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Sorry....you are still wrong. It doesn't matter whether the vast majority of the "founding fathers" were "Christian" or not. The bottom line is that they smart enough to have the wisdom to make this a religious neutral country.

    They did not make this a "Christian Nation". It never has been one.

    If you keep trying though....you might just get it. Start by taking a look at the Constitution. That should help you get there eventually.
    Relax. Have you read this post?

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1058668822
    'In Hoc Signo Vinces'

  6. #76
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post


    No.

    I've known plenty of adult converts who were not raised in church.

    I'll grant that a majority probably grew up in church, but not all by a long shot.

    In any case, doesn't this continue to point to the fact that America has Christian roots, if so many Americans are brought up with Christian families.
    I never said all.

    Do you know anyone who only believes in God 78%?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #77
    Advisor LiveUninhibited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-11-10 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    549

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This is like the perfect example of how to build a strawman.

    Hint: Goshin said nothing at all like that.
    I don't know about you, but just because I quote and reply to something doesn't mean I am directly attempting to have a formal debate them, but rather what they said prompted a thought, albeit deliberately exaggerated because I like to make fun of evangelicals. I don't give a **** whether it applies to the person I quoted or not, but it does relate to what they said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Heh. Dude, believe it or not, I'm hardly a prude

    However, there's the question of where do we want that line to be, in regards to public decency.

    Public as in "out in public, in plain view of everyone".

    I mean, is having sex on the sidewalk in a public park during daylight hours just fine with you? No? What about people walking down the sidewalk at 3:00 in the afternoon with their genitalia swinging in the breeze? I'd rather not be subjected to that myself.
    I reject the notion of indecent exposure as a crime, but I do care about public health. There are no public health risks to a woman letting her boobs hang out if that's what she wants to do. When you get extra fecal spread due to being bottomless, it's a different story. But television is a different story altogether.

    Join a nudist retreat, I won't come there and bother you. Wear as little as you like in your house. If your back yard has a tall privacy fence, do yo' thing on the grass, whatever. Not my problem.
    I don't personally like to be nude in public. Would I mind if women, whether attractive or not, went topless? Not at all.

    But in public, especially if we're talking about normal-hours plain-old broadcast TV, is it so freaking terrible to have a few simple standards? Do we HAVE to be constantly awash in sexuality ALL the time, as if that were the sum total of life?
    All standards ought to be logical. I don't know if I'd say that the French are more awash with sexuality just because they're not squeamish about a boob.

    Is it really so much to ask, to be able to sit and watch the Superbowl halftime with your child and not be subjected to Justin (bleh) Timberlake and Janet (blah) Jackson doing some kind of talent-less softcore porn musical? Complete with gold-studded nipple-popups? Hail it wasn't even good art.
    Art is a matter of perspective. I have no idea why you care if your kid sees a nipple or not. Chances are they have one themselves.

  8. #78
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    Yes. I read that post. However....it doesn't make a very good argument for trying to say this is a "Christian Nation". The fact that many of the founding fathers were "Christian" is irrelevant. They were intelligent enough and had the wisom to make this a religious neutral country.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #79
    Advisor PonyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    06-24-10 @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    587

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Yes. I read that post. However....it doesn't make a very good argument for trying to say this is a "Christian Nation". The fact that many of the founding fathers were "Christian" is irrelevant. They were intelligent enough and had the wisom to make this a religious neutral country.
    You can worship whatever you like but the backbone of America is Christian! I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is. It's not the end of the world!
    'In Hoc Signo Vinces'

  10. #80
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,347

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    I'm constantly amazed at the people who still refuse to believe that the Founders were deeply religious. It's like they have either blocked out their speeches and writings from their memory, or they never learned them in the first place.


Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •