Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 416

Thread: We are a Christian Nation....

  1. #171
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Bottom Line...

    Because like 90 some odd percent of our 'founding fathers' were Christians does not make this a country "founded on christian principles"... it makes this a country "founded by people... who happened to be christian."

    Because 70 some odd percent of Americans 'claim' to be christian does not make this a "Christian Nation" it makes this a country that ... happens to have a lot of Christians living in it.

    One question though,

    W T F is the significance of this, honestly?

    Is it one of those touchy feely things for you people or what?
    Except that might neutralize the impact of Christianity upon the citizens and the leaders. When there is a near universal acceptance of the existence of a Christian polity, with far less diversity than currently exists, it seems to me obvious to not need to make a distinction between "happened to be" and "was." There are many ways that a Christian identity will flow through governance, social values, and so forth, which to them seemed rather natural.

    This does not necessarily mean that this needs to remain that way, but in the pursuit of aiming to have "the founding fathers" on their side, people go out of their way to personalize the history, which, yeah, the OP has a habit of doing.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 04-07-10 at 02:51 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #172
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Contrary to what many of our left wing friends believe:

    78% Think Jesus Christ Rose from the Dead

    78% Think Jesus Christ Rose from the Dead - Rasmussen Reports

    Today's the day Christians believe Jesus Christ was resurrected from the dead, and 78% of Americans share that belief.

    A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 10% don't believe Christ rose from the dead, and another 11% are not sure.

    So, your point is we are a nation of hypocrites then?

    Because we sure do not act like Jesus. How many people did Jesus torture? When did Jesus say that helping the poor was a communist plot? How many innocent people did Jesus kill to control their resources? Did Jesus defend the money changers? Did Jesus shun those whose sexual preferences were not the same as his own?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #173
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    We are a nation built on Christianity. Truth hurts, but you're gonna have to get over it.

    What is your proof we were built on Christianity?

    Don't give me that "Well almost all of our founding fathers were christians and said christian stuff in their writings!!"

    Because that holds true only if I can run around saying that my House was one built on Islam just because the crew who built it happened to all be Muslims.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #174
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Except that might neutralize the impact of Christianity upon the citizens and the leaders. When there is a near universal acceptance of the existence of a Christian polity, with far less diversity than currently exists, it seems to me obvious to not need to make a distinction between "happened to be" and "was." There are many ways that a Christian identity will flow through governance, social values, and so forth, which to them seemed rather natural.
    I think this bolded large part here (my emphasis) sums up why I stated "happened to be." Even at this time in history, those of many cultures had a tendency to find the same or very similar social values (maybe not governance), and find the same moral acceptances in the actions of man (again, not all, Im talking of civilized people here). Which In my opinion has little to do, specifically, with christ and more to do with the fact that "it just seemed natural".
    Its my opinion that they didn't set the standards where they were because "christ commands it!" they set them there because they knew it was the right thing to do.

    This does not necessarily mean that this needs to remain that way, but in the pursuit of aiming to have "the founding fathers" on their side, people go out of their way to personalize the history, which, yeah, the OP has a habit of doing.
    And this brings me back to my original question..

    What is the significance of what religious majority happened to be in charge when we were founding our nation. What does that have to do with today?

    Nobody has bothered to explain it.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #175
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,355

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Why are you calling me out? "I" am not the one that brought it up and sugggest you ask the person that did suggest that he does not even know what skin color he is.

    And if you think nobody is in a "frenzy" over his skincolor? I suggest you take a look at the TeaParty, FreeRepub, FoxNews weboards and then maybe you will understand what I am talking about.
    I've aware there are still racists in this country. It's just not as prevelant as some on the left like to make it out to be.


  6. #176
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    What is your proof we were built on Christianity?

    Don't give me that "Well almost all of our founding fathers were christians and said christian stuff in their writings!!"

    Because that holds true only if I can run around saying that my House was one built on Islam just because the crew who built it happened to all be Muslims.
    He also believes that we are a "white country" because all of the founding fathers were white.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #177
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    He also believes that we are a "white country" because all of the founding fathers were white.
    and don't forget male, they were all male
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  8. #178
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    and don't forget male, they were all male
    They tended to wear hose and wigs too. Perhaps we are a transvestite nation?

  9. #179
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    and don't forget male, they were all male
    That's right. I guess we are a "White-male" country. Sad....though....there are many who actually believe that or at least want it to be that way.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #180
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: We are a Christian Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

    And this brings me back to my original question..

    What is the significance of what religious majority happened to be in charge when we were founding our nation. What does that have to do with today?

    Nobody has bothered to explain it.
    I can make an attempt at your question. It seems to me that Americans expect our leaders to be Christian because of our countries history. I mean look how upset people get with the idea that President Obama maybe a Muslim (which I don't think he is by the way). And you can read what people say about how we have to return to fearing God and get back to our good Christian values. To me that is what it has to do with today.

Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •