Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 716

Thread: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

  1. #71
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,518

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No. Which is basically the point I'm trying to make to your illiterate mindset.



    Who the hell is katigrl?



    Ridiculous. Separate housing for members of the same sex is an expenditure which would create more people in opposition to it than for it.



    This is rich.
    This is your response and you call me illiterate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The right to live in work in a harassment free environment.
    Harassment is not more likely to occur because somebody is gay and sleeping in a bed 6 feet from you.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #73
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,518

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Harassment is not more likely to occur because somebody is gay and sleeping in a bed 6 feet from you.
    Yes, it is. It's the reason that males and females do not billet together.

    It's ignorance of the highest order to think that it wouldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    This is your response and you call me illiterate?
    Are you going to cry about a post that destroyed your assertions because there was an ad hom in it? Well good to know your trolling ways haven't changed.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #75
    Advisor Politics101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    08-25-10 @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    490

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Please stop using your dogmatic labels against me.

    I just happen to think that, believing somehow that gays will have a negative impact on straight soldiers because they live in the same barracks. Is as rediculous as the notion that somehow black soldiers would make white soldiers worse soldiers.

    It's old, fearful thinking.

    If they're gay, and they're there anyway. Wouldn't it be like, secretly feeding your kid broccoli, and then him eating it. And then you telling him it's broccoli. And then all of a sudden he hates it, even though he had nothing to say before.

    Well, it just shows that its prejudice and fear.
    You clearly have never been in the Marine Corps, and most likely not the Army either. Here's a news flash for you: in the U.S. Marines, it's imperative that there are no 'individuals' who want to openly be different than others, in order for the team to perform to the best of their ability. This process begins in boot camp. All recruits in boot camp are each the same pile of crap as the other. But, then one day Obama decides there are two different piles of crap in boot camp; he separates the team and says, you guys can be openly gay piles of crap and the other recruits will be straight piles of crap. But you must still shower and sleep together, so just pretend you're both the same pile of crap and it'll be OK.

    If you can somehow explain, in the Marine Corps, how it would be a positive impact if some Marines or recruits decide to differentiate themselves from their peers, then maybe this new plan to 'sexualize' the military is a good one.

    My problem with it is this: what the heck is the difference, in the Marine Corps, between not going public with your personal sexual preference, and going public with it? Are you looking for special privileges or a hearty congrats'? What's the goal here? It certainly doesn't provide any increase in the military's effectiveness. And while it shouldn't decrease the military's effectiveness, there are a countless number of situations where all this will do is cause many Marines to feel uncomfortable. That certainly doesn't sound like it will increase effectiveness in the least bit, and it will likely cause a negative outcome.

    Besides, as you said, there are currently gays in the military, and I have nothing against this. In fact, my voting record has always supported gay rights. But in this case, I am fully 100% against it. The military is a machine with a system different than anything non-military civilians experience. You can be gay in the military, but is it really so bad that gays cannot disclose the information publicly? What it if means by going public you might make your fellow Marines uncomfortable?

    As I said, I've always voted for gay rights. Everyone IS different in a unique way. But in the military, especially in the Marine Corps (different than the Army) where men and women do not go through boot camp together, I am absolutely against the idea of allowing gays to openly serve. In the army, since they do have shared-gender boot camp, and because men and women do go through it together (I've even heard that they get away with having sex in Army boot camp), I guess it'd be fine with me if gays openly serve in the Army. They have a much different set of standards than the Marine Corps. They already have a shared men/women boot camp.

  6. #76
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Obviously is interested in making alterations so as to allow gays to serve in the military and you STILL call him a bigot? Where's the bigotry?
    The fact that he wants to separate them is a bigoted move. he is presuming the worst in behavior. his opinion on this tells me that he sees gays as not being able to control their actions. That is a judgment on his part and bigoted. How do you not clearly see this.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  7. #77
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yes, it is.
    Prove harassment in a military which allows gays to serve openly happens more often than in a military that does not.

    It's the reason that males and females do not billet together.

    It's ignorance of the highest order to think that it wouldn't.
    Homosexual men already serve in the same rooms as straight men. Have you forgotten that fact? No. Your argument is simply a red herring.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #78
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Politics101 View Post
    My problem with it is this: what the heck is the difference, in the Marine Corps, between not going public with your personal sexual preference, and going public with it?
    Making your heterosexuality public in the Marine Corps does not get you removed. Being a homosexual does. That is the difference.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #79
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Wow!! Glad to see how you feel about the men and women that keep your smart ass safe from the bad guys.

    It's probably a good thing you never served. I saw plenty of smart people in the service that were just in the way and in a couple cases wound up getting people killed.

    Perhaps i should thank you for not serving. You probably saved lives.
    I'm sure you can teach a well trained chimp to shoot straight so why would someone that can actually think want to bother?
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  10. #80
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,518

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Are you going to cry about a post that destroyed your assertions because there was an ad hom in it? Well good to know your trolling ways haven't changed.
    A few three word sentences destroyed my argument?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •