Page 69 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 716

Thread: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

  1. #681
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I have never heard that the suicide rate is higher.....My only experience is there are a lot of civilian nukes here in the PSNS and many of them got their training in the Navy.............

    Do you get money if you get out now? I saw the bonus was and incentive for staying in........
    The bonus is a strong incentive for staying in. Which is why it would be extremely counterproductive to offer a chance to get out, especially with compensation, for people who feel uncomfortable living with others that they most likely were living with before. And nukes are not the only ones who would take advantage of such an offer. Even my husband has verified that he's pretty sure a lot of Marines would take such an offer, no matter what their actual feelings toward homosexuals serving openly were. You seem to think that our servicemembers would all be honest, and only those who would actually feel that they couldn't truly work beside openly gay personnel would be the only ones to take an offer of getting out with an honorable discharge and monetary compensation. I know that you are wrong. I saw first hand how some people would lie just to get out of the military with an administrative discharge by saying they were gay when they weren't because they were feeling too stressed. I would say that there would even be some homosexual personnel who would take advantage of such an offer.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #682
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,664

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    When I went in, the recruiter told me of the big SRB bonuses we FC's would get for re-upping. Six years later, our rate was at 100% manned and there was NO bonus to be had.

    It was a good time to make my exit.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  3. #683
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    When I went in, the recruiter told me of the big SRB bonuses we FC's would get for re-upping. Six years later, our rate was at 100% manned and there was NO bonus to be had.

    It was a good time to make my exit.
    FC? They where getting an SRB at some point in time? I find that unexpected. AS an AT, I could have gotten a small SRB(I think 5k maybe for 4 years). I had my heart set on getting out though.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #684
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,664

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    FC? They where getting an SRB at some point in time? I find that unexpected. AS an AT, I could have gotten a small SRB(I think 5k maybe for 4 years). I had my heart set on getting out though.
    When I went IN, the SRB's for FC's was 28,000.00. That was a pretty good chunk o' change back in the day.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #685
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    When I went IN, the SRB's for FC's was 28,000.00. That was a pretty good chunk o' change back in the day.
    Dayum! I used to regret I did not go nuke(I had the option based on ASVAB/nuke test), but after all the stories I have heard, I am glad I did not.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #686
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,664

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Dayum! I used to regret I did not go nuke(I had the option based on ASVAB/nuke test), but after all the stories I have heard, I am glad I did not.
    Going nuke would have certainly put me on a sub. No way Jose. FC was the next best rate, so I took it. Became a pushbutton.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #687
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Going nuke would have certainly put me on a sub. No way Jose. FC was the next best rate, so I took it. Became a pushbutton.
    And those are some mighty cool buttons.

    Brownshoe > * though.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #688
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,664

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Man, my boondockers looked more like a mirror than a shoe.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #689
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    It's funny how you can substitute a few words and get exactly the same debate over race from 50 or so years ago. Watch:

    There comes a point where white people are just gonna have to get over it. I mean come on!

    I have yet to see an argument against gays in the military that wasn't used against blacks in the military, or women.
    This thread is not about racism.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  10. #690
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Dayum! I used to regret I did not go nuke(I had the option based on ASVAB/nuke test), but after all the stories I have heard, I am glad I did not.
    Nukes have it really hard for two solid years. It is a grueling program with a very high rate of drop out and suicide.

    However, it is probably one of the most lucrative career paths if you are setting yourself up to get an education in the military and get out. That's why they make it so attractive to accept the bonus and stay in.

    At the time I enlisted for it, it was a six year program with a huge resigning bonus for another measley two years.

Page 69 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •