Page 47 of 72 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 716

Thread: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

  1. #461
    Advisor Politics101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    08-25-10 @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    490

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Would you have wanted the all-white services in the 1940s to vote on whether to allow blacks in?
    No, that's different. That would be racist.

    But it does bring up an intriguing point. I guess the difference is that for openly gay men to serve in the military, it requires a completely different set of guidelines because openly gay men are and will inevitably become attracted to some of their fellow soldiers -- regardless of whether or not they ever admit it.

    Heck, for me, there were a few women I served with who I found absolutely gorgeous! Most of them I wouldn't tell them, because I wanted to be respectful and remain professional. And it certainly would never be allowed to force them to shower or sleep with other Marines including myself, mainly because the military should not be sexualized.

    So, what would possibly make it OK to force straight men to shower and sleep with openly gay men, who may or may not be attracted to you? That would make me so uncomfortable that it would certainly cause issues.

  2. #462
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    06-17-10 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    35

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    First you're wrong to assume that all, if any, homosexual service members are actually cross-dressers. Second, not all cross-dressers are homosexual.

    If there is actually some cross-dressers who feel that this is an issue the military needs to address, then that should be left up to them to address it, because it is not a part of the gays in the military issue.
    you always have assumptions assume this assume that and then blah blah blah blah.
    You say they need to address the cross-dressers also, and it should be left to the military. To me the issue is identical to gays in the military. It's all become political and not left to the military.

  3. #463
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    We do not make laws based on thoughts. We make laws and regulations based on actions. If some one gay or strait does something inappropriate, then actions should be taken to correct the behavior. Thoughts the military cannot control, nor should it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #464
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    06-17-10 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    35

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We do not make laws based on thoughts. We make laws and regulations based on actions. If some one gay or strait does something inappropriate, then actions should be taken to correct the behavior. Thoughts the military cannot control, nor should it.
    are you going to ignore the transvestite
    question. Should we stop the discrimination against transvestites in the military.

  5. #465
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Politics101 View Post
    No, that's different. That would be racist.

    But it does bring up an intriguing point. I guess the difference is that for openly gay men to serve in the military, it requires a completely different set of guidelines because openly gay men are and will inevitably become attracted to some of their fellow soldiers -- regardless of whether or not they ever admit it.

    Heck, for me, there were a few women I served with who I found absolutely gorgeous! Most of them I wouldn't tell them, because I wanted to be respectful and remain professional. And it certainly would never be allowed to force them to shower or sleep with other Marines including myself, mainly because the military should not be sexualized.

    So, what would possibly make it OK to force straight men to shower and sleep with openly gay men, who may or may not be attracted to you? That would make me so uncomfortable that it would certainly cause issues.
    If you are uncomfortable sleeping/showering with openly gay Marines/soldiers then that is your issue. Especially since you should realize that there are gay guys in the military now, and there could be gay guys showering/sleeping in the same area as you do now (or did, if you aren't in now).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #466
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by KOV03 View Post
    are you going to ignore the transvestite
    question. Should we stop the discrimination against transvestites in the military.
    How come every argument you ever make is an appeal to the absurd that obsesses over trannies?

  7. #467
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    I always thought that those who are straight would WANT to know who was gay - so they can avoid being too close to them in various ways.

    I'm surprised that people want them to keep it quiet.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #468
    Advisor Politics101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    08-25-10 @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    490

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If you are uncomfortable sleeping/showering with openly gay Marines/soldiers then that is your issue. Especially since you should realize that there are gay guys in the military now, and there could be gay guys showering/sleeping in the same area as you do now (or did, if you aren't in now).
    I already answered exactly the same comment/question about this issue, here. It's about ten pages (or so) back, not too far...

  9. #469
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by KOV03 View Post
    are you going to ignore the transvestite
    question. Should we stop the discrimination against transvestites in the military.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  10. #470
    Advisor Politics101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    08-25-10 @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    490

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I always thought that those who are straight would WANT to know who was gay - so they can avoid being too close to them in various ways.

    I'm surprised that people want them to keep it quiet.
    It's not about avoiding your fellow soldiers, it's about keeping it professional and strictly on the mission. If the mission was to discover each everyone one of your fellow soldiers sexuality, then I guess it would make sense. Also - I'd rather not know and not feel uncomfortable to the point where I'd actually avoid certain situations with someone.

    If I'm showering with a gay person, I'd rather not know they were gay and not know that there's a chance they are attracted to me. If you're not gay, just imagine yourself showering with someone you know is gay and quite possibly attracted to your hard-bodied, military physique. If the gay man even looked in your direction, the level of awkwardness would skyrocket. Why would anyone, including gay men, want those who they are around to feel uncomfortable in a given situation?

    I get the feeling that the feeling of uncomfortableness I would have in the above scenario would be exactly the same thing if men and women in the military were forced to shower and sleep together. In terms of sexual preference, it's exactly the same thing.

Page 47 of 72 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •