Page 42 of 72 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 716

Thread: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

  1. #411
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    And as I said, it does affect me because it is my money and my security. If you wish to pay me back the portion of my taxes that went to the defense budget, then I would be more than happy to send you my address and you can send me the check, then I won't have a basis by which to complain.
    I am talking personally, if you were in the military or if you were joining and DADT affected you that way......Everyone pays taxes so that is a red herring........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #412
    Advisor Politics101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    08-25-10 @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    490

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    That is fairly broad actually. Now can you speak for yourself instead of a pre written oath?
    I'm not sure what answer you're looking for. Saddam Hussein was one bad dude, that's for sure. I've seen his destruction first hand, and I know that what we did in Iraq helped the average Iraqi citizen gain freedom they once didn't have. Unless you are against freedom, it's difficult to see Saddam in a positive light.

  3. #413
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am talking personally, if you were in the military or if you were joining and DADT affected you that way......Everyone pays taxes so that is a red herring........
    No it's not. We pay taxes to the federal government that goes into a defense budget to pay for a professional, well trained military. We do not pay taxes to provide a safe haven for bigots and homophobes to flee to when they don't want to accept that the world is moving forward.

    DADT affects all of America.

  4. #414
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am talking personally, if you were in the military or if you were joining and DADT affected you that way......Everyone pays taxes so that is a red herring........
    No, your little, "it doesn't affect you" argument is a red herring. The people this policy affects most are gays and lesbians who are serving in the military, not you.

  5. #415
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    No, your little, "it doesn't affect you" argument is a red herring. The people this policy affects most are gays and lesbians who are serving in the military, not you.
    Exactly. If Navy wants to play that game, I can easily say that DADT doesn't affect washed up has-beens trying to cling to their glory days at sea by butting in to policy discussions that they've been retired from for years.

    But then I would be just as dishonest and obtuse as Navy so I won't press that issue.

  6. #416
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am talking personally, if you were in the military or if you were joining and DADT affected you that way......Everyone pays taxes so that is a red herring........
    You are always spouting off about things that you have no "personal" experience or say in....why are you different than those whom you criticize?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #417
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You are always spouting off about things that you have no "personal" experience or say in....why are you different than those whom you criticize?
    Because he's 500 years old and knows better than everyone around him. Plus, if you qualify everything you say with "I have no problem with" just before you berate and chastise and bash exactly what you claimed to have no problem with, well that just excuses it all if your manners are born of pre-depression sensibilities.

  8. #418
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am talking personally, if you were in the military or if you were joining and DADT affected you that way......Everyone pays taxes so that is a red herring........
    Personally, it affected me in that I saw a couple of good nukes put out of the Navy involuntarily for being gay, and at least one more, who signed the paperwork to get out. Now for the one who signed the paperwork, she would have required the military to accept her significant other as a spouse to stay in, but without DADT and the rules against gays, she would have at least stayed until the end of her contract. The loss of 3 nukes, even on a carrier, does affect how much watch others have to stand and reduces the overall effectiveness of the department, at least a little, especially when the 3 were some of the top scorers on our tests.

    Also, I was good friends with two of them, and the two guys were both there helping me when I had my allergic reaction while we were out with a group of others from our Nuke school class in Seattle.

    I have never seen any problems caused by the homosexuals serving with heterosexuals who know they are gay. So I feel I have very good reason to dislike this unfair policy against gays, beyond even the already good reasons to disapprove of the policy.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #419
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    No it's not. We pay taxes to the federal government that goes into a defense budget to pay for a professional, well trained military. We do not pay taxes to provide a safe haven for bigots and homophobes to flee to when they don't want to accept that the world is moving forward.

    DADT affects all of America.

    As I have said many times the military has one reason for existing......that is to fight our wars and protect us....It is not there to see how it will react to social experimentation......If the men that are serving say keep DADT then they should be listened to....If liberals want to do social experimentation do it somewhere else.......Cohesion and morale are to important to ignore...You can destroy your military by ignoring it...........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  10. #420
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    As I have said many times the military has one reason for existing......that is to fight our wars and protect us....It is not there to see how it will react to social experimentation......If the men that are serving say keep DADT then they should be listened to....If liberals want to do social experimentation do it somewhere else.......Cohesion and morale are to important to ignore...You can destroy your military by ignoring it...........
    The military isn't there to protect the homophobic sensibilities of people like you either. Military policy isn't dictated because people like you aren't professional enough to work alongside openly gay soldiers.

    Furthermore, what the hell is a "social experiment"? It's one of those nonsense phrases that conservatives use when they are losing an argument against change. Oh we can't do that! It's a social experiment!

Page 42 of 72 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •