Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 716

Thread: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

  1. #301
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Yeah it kinda does because, while I am your stereotypical horndog on my own time, like most every man, I understand that there's a boundary when on someone else's dime.
    And I think most guys are like that.........Unfortunately a few spoil it for the rest..........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #302
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    and you were monitoring this thread otherwise your name would not appear..........
    I wouldn't exactly call it monitoring. I'd call it not logging out because it is not that big of a deal.

  3. #303
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    please.......look in the mirror, if you can stand to.
    More great input about the thread.......Why don't you quit while your only losing by a little bit................
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  4. #304
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,943

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I'll tell you what.........I will go along with you on this issue on one condition......Gays and straights can sleep and live together but so can men and women.......After all you say they should be able to control themselves when they are showering and undressing..........


    That would solve the whole problem, and I might even re enlist.....
    I have told you before Navy, that I personally don't have a problem with this (I can't say the same for my husband though, especially if I were still active). I have changed in the same area as men that I served with, as I've also told you before, and it really wasn't a big deal. Those guys were certainly able to control themselves.

    I can however, see major issues with coed military living spaces, on a practical level. Reasonably speaking, this will never happen. First, who do you think a military wife is more threatened by, a female soldier/sailor/Marine or a gay soldier/sailor/Marine? Ditto for the military husbands. Spouses have at least some influence over military policy, and there is very little chance that military spouses will accept the military putting men and women together quietly. Second, there is a big difference in women and gay men (since most of this worry is actually the thought of gay men serving openly, not really so much for the gay women). It's pretty obvious how a man is different than a woman, not always so openly obvious as how a gay man is different than a straight man. DADT being repealed and the rules against gays going away won't actually force gay men or women to admit they are gay. And fewer of them are going to actually admit to being gay if it means being ostracized to a separate berthing because of it, most likely. So exactly are you going to force someone to openly admit they are gay? Do you really think the military is going to spend extra money on investigating someone's sexuality just to be able to put them in a separate berthing?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #305
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Why do you lefties always attack the messenger where you have had your ass kicked in a debate? I will never understand that.......Now go kill a baby.......
    Seriously, NP... Do you not see the profound irony in this post?

  6. #306
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Yeah right with 4 kids and a family........
    Which has what to do with being a closeted lesbian? Does being a lesbian somehow make someone incapable of conceiving?

  7. #307
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    The situation is identical.....Gay men are attracted to men.....lesbians are attracted to women.......straight men and women are attracted to one another.........At least you tried to resppnd, I give you credit for that........Your left wing buddies are silent.........


    You tell me the difference...............
    Okay, I'll try to break it down for you.

    You only need to separate them when they are attracted to each other.

    Men are separated from women because they are attracted to each other.

    Gay men and straight men are not attracted to each other, gay men may be attracted to straight men, but straight men are not attracted to gay men, so they don't need to be separated.

    Gay men are attracted to each other so they need to be separated.

    Gay women and straight women are not attracted to each other, gay women may be attracted to straight women, but straight women are not attracted to gay women, so they don't need to be separated.

    Does that help you understand? Your comparison is not identical because the people who would likely be sharing bunkhouses are not attracted to each other, only one party may be attracted to the other.

    What you need to explain for the argument to be valid, is why having one party who could be attracted to the other party is grounds for them not bunking together. The only argument you can come up with is that gay men may make unwanted sexual advances toward straight men, and the reality is that is unprofessional and would be handled in exactly the same way that any unprofessional behavior would be handled in the military.

  8. #308
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Okay, I'll try to break it down for you.

    You only need to separate them when they are attracted to each other.

    Men are separated from women because they are attracted to each other.

    Gay men and straight men are not attracted to each other, gay men may be attracted to straight men, but straight men are not attracted to gay men, so they don't need to be separated.

    Gay men are attracted to each other so they need to be separated.

    Gay women and straight women are not attracted to each other, gay women may be attracted to straight women, but straight women are not attracted to gay women, so they don't need to be separated.

    Does that help you understand? Your comparison is not identical because the people who would likely be sharing bunkhouses are not attracted to each other, only one party may be attracted to the other.

    What you need to explain for the argument to be valid, is why having one party who could be attracted to the other party is grounds for them not bunking together. The only argument you can come up with is that gay men may make unwanted sexual advances toward straight men, and the reality is that is unprofessional and would be handled in exactly the same way that any unprofessional behavior would be handled in the military.
    I get a kick out of how many straight men feel threatened by the idea of gay men because they are worried that they will be hit on or whatever. Seriously, they shouldn't flatter themselves. It's not that simple. Few things are.

  9. #309
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Seriously, NP... Do you not see the profound irony in this post?
    The capacity for irony of this kind never ceases to amaze me.

  10. #310
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Marine officer: Gays, straights shouldn't share housing

    Gay women and straight women are not attracted to each other, gay women may be attracted to straight women, but straight women are not attracted to gay women, so they don't need to be separated.
    You mean porn has been lying to me? Dude, why you gotta bust my bubble like that?

Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •