Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 570

Thread: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

  1. #151
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    04-13-10 @ 12:27 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    159

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    Alright. First, your fist paragraph is a bunch of allegations of hypocrisy -- the same thing you were arguing against earlier.

    Second, by framing the debate as "government control" versus reduction in government, you pin your opponents into an ideological corner. This bill is far, far short of absolute government control, and dropping the public option shows a willingness to step away from ideological extremes. In my experience, those making broad ideological arguments aren't looking to compromise.

    I don't want to read too much into your post, but I caution against a "good guy" versus "bad guy" take on politics. That's not the reality of the situation.
    I was arguing that allegations of hypocrisy is not an argument.

    I was simply citing the hypocrisy of certain officials. I did not present them as an argument about anything.

    You know that, though. You know that because I told you that.

    Then you said that my closed doors comment was merely a talking point. I see you ducked my response on that. Of course, the closed doors comment was relevant given the repeated promises that this would be a transparent process.

  2. #152
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    No one will know for a few years if this bill helps or hurts " bending the cost curve". There is some logic that says that when you increase demand and do not change supply, costs go up not down.
    There is also some logic that says if you are heading over a cliff, a course correction is in order.

    If this course correction is not sufficient than we may need to adjust course further in the future.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #153
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    There is also some logic that says if you are heading over a cliff, a course correction is in order.

    If this course correction is not sufficient than we may need to adjust course further in the future.
    What's the plan when prices continue to rise?

    Are you going to blame the "free market" or will it be properly placed on this legislation?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #154
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    What's the plan when prices continue to rise?
    Then it may be necessary abandon the private health insurance oligopolies to adopt a UHC system, like the rest of the developed world.

    Even Costa Rica's health care system is more affordable than ours, and their citizens make 1/10 on average what US citizens make.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #155
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Then it may be necessary abandon the private health insurance oligopolies to adopt a UHC system, like the rest of the developed world.

    Even Costa Rica's health care system is more affordable than ours, and their citizens make 1/10 on average what US citizens make.
    So the plan is to restrict the market under the guise of making it better, then when that fails you want to completely close off the market.

    That's some crazy logic you've got there.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #156
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    So the plan is to restrict the market under the guise of making it better, then when that fails you want to completely close off the market.

    That's some crazy logic you've got there.

    No, the plan is to try the private market approach proposed by the Republicans in 1993, if that doesn't work than our best option will be adopt true UHC as have the rest of the developed world.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #157
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No, the plan is to try the private market approach proposed by the Republicans in 1993, if that doesn't work than our best option will be adopt true UHC as have the rest of the developed world.
    But this isn't a private market, with Medicare and Medicaid involved and by giving out subsidies to corporations it's a crony capitalism/economic fascist approach to medicine.

    This plan gives these insurance companies welfare, why do you support that?

    You're basically telling me that continually restricting the market to the point of failure is the best way to operate medical care.

    What the hell.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #158
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No, the plan is to try the private market approach proposed by the Republicans in 1993, if that doesn't work than our best option will be adopt true UHC as have the rest of the developed world.
    LOL.

    If it is a success : DEMOCRATS WERE RIGHT!!!!!

    If it fails: These were Republican ideas anyway

    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  9. #159
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    But this isn't a private market, with Medicare and Medicaid involved and by giving out subsidies to corporations it's a crony capitalism/economic fascist approach to medicine.

    This plan gives these insurance companies welfare, why do you support that?
    I agree that a single payer system would have been far preferable to the Republican plan of '93 used in this plan. However, being pragmatic, I understand that the US is only capable of baby steps towards social progress.

    You're basically telling me that continually restricting the market to the point of failure is the best way to operate medical care.
    The market was already failing. My insurance rates for catastrophic coverage increased by 300% in the last 10 years. If allowed to continue, health insurance would simply be unaffordable for me and most of the middle class.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #160
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I agree that a single payer system would have been far preferable to the Republican plan of '93 used in this plan. However, being pragmatic, I understand that the US is only capable of baby steps towards social progress.
    The 93' Republican plan involved catastrophic coverage not comprehensive coverage.
    You being dishonest or you don't really understand it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The market was already failing. My insurance rates for catastrophic coverage increased by 300% in the last 10 years. If allowed to continue, health insurance would simply be unaffordable for me and most of the middle class.
    So you don't think that the increasing restrictions on the market correlate with the failure?

    Minimum mandates have preceded increases in costs(minus inflation), it's far from a market failure but a public policy failure.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •