Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 570

Thread: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

  1. #101
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    But you are not required to drive.
    Not the point and a meaningless distinction. the fact is, if I want to drive, there is a mandate.

    Hardly any of the food I ate growing up was inspected unless it was by my family when we harvested or killed it.
    Not sure how old you are, but before inspections many people suffered from unhealthy practices. You can look that up if you are so inclined. With deregulation recently we saw tainted peanut butter.

    Again, no one requires you to drive.
    Also same as above.


    Don't much care for that one either but that's beside the point.
    yes it is.

    It most certainly is different than those things. It is a mandate that you buy a private industry product for simply breathing in the US.
    Not quite. It is protection for the rest of us who do in fact pay for you if you're wrong about your future. Again, we're paying for people right now, before reform.


    We don't have a problem. Ghetto babies without insurance might have a problem, but I don't have that problem.
    Yes, you do. You're paying for them right now.

    I am comfortable and even happy with the service for cost ratio I experience now. What I am angry about is how I am about to be responsible for others and their care.
    You are now. Again, right now you are paying for them and have been long before this reform.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    And food poisoning was rampant back then.
    Source? Because we never suffered food poisoning.

    Nobody requires you to live either, or be healthy.
    You have a right to life. That is an unfettered right to live...not a right to live with insurance, not a right to live with medical access, not a right to live as long as you purchase a private sector product.

    And no, there is no requirement that you be healthy. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

    By our very natures, we require ourselves to live so I don't know what point you thought you were making. I doubt you even know yourself.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not the point and a meaningless distinction. the fact is, if I want to drive, there is a mandate.
    It's a fundamental distinction. You have a right to live. You don't have a right to drive. That right to live is unimpeded by government controls on that right. This mandate requires you to buy a private sector product just to exert your right to live.

    That is unConstitutional. Period.


    You are not required to drive so there is no requirement to have auto insurance.

    You are required to live and have a right to do so. A restriction on that right is not acceptable.

  4. #104
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Source? Because we never suffered food poisoning.
    Not you, but lots of people back then.

    You didn't think our great state of health just appeared out of thin air, did you? No, the government imposed food safety regulations, along with measures to prevent epidemic diseases, etc. Food used to kill people more often.

    And no, there is no requirement that you be healthy. Thank you, Captain Obvious.
    Okay then.

    By our very natures, we require ourselves to live so I don't know what point you thought you were making. I doubt you even know yourself.
    It was a good point though, doncha think?

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Not you, but lots of people back then.
    How far "back then" do you think I lived? I'm only 33. ROFL

  6. #106
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How far "back then" do you think I lived? I'm only 33. ROFL
    But it sounds like you go back a century the closer you get to your home town.

    Seriously, I was referring to food harvested and processed before inspection was introduced. Inspection has made things much safer.

  7. #107
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    It's a fundamental distinction. You have a right to live. You don't have a right to drive. That right to live is unimpeded by government controls on that right. This mandate requires you to buy a private sector product just to exert your right to live.

    That is unConstitutional. Period.


    You are not required to drive so there is no requirement to have auto insurance.

    You are required to live and have a right to do so. A restriction on that right is not acceptable.
    No, it's meaningless. With a car, if you don't drive, you can't have an auto accident. With health care, you don't have the same control. Because of that, the implementation is different, but the premise is the same.

    BTW, the unconstitutional issue is not settled, and certainly not certain. In fact, the smart money is on the frivolous lawsuits failing.

  8. #108
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    Oh no, absolutley not. The Republicans will forever be known as being unanimously opposed to this historic legislation.
    well yeah. that's kind of what they're banking on for November and 2012.

  9. #109
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, it's meaningless. With a car, if you don't drive, you can't have an auto accident. With health care, you don't have the same control. Because of that, the implementation is different, but the premise is the same.
    no, it isn't. in once case you are regulating an economic activity. in another, you are regulating mere existence. you cannot mandate someone purchase a private product just for being alive.

    BTW, the unconstitutional issue is not settled, and certainly not certain. In fact, the smart money is on the frivolous lawsuits failing.
    smart money is betting against recent precedent? smart money is stupid.

  10. #110
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: New health insurance requirement.....was a GOP idea

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Yet pretty much every first world (and many third world) country has that or a similar system, that tends to be very popular, is more cost efficient, and often similar or better outcomes than what we have.

    If the system as a whole appears to work (as evidence by a vast amount of data from other countries) the individual details don't matter so much to me. Sure regulations can often be stupid, but as a whole, this sort of thing appears to be a huge success.
    Indeed, even in Costa Rica with a single payer system, where the average income is 1/10 what it is in the US, they have a higher rated health care system than the US.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •