Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 100

Thread: Beck suggests Obama administration "coming after him" and may kill him

  1. #51
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Beck suggests Obama administration "coming after him" and may kill him

    Quote Originally Posted by ZGM View Post
    It's about time they scared him into respecting the president and not plot anything cruel.
    Yep, and now that the bill is law, he must fear the DEATH PANELS!!!! Bwahahaha!

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Beck suggests Obama administration "coming after him" and may kill him

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    So he didn't say it?

    The clip is right there.
    First, where did I say he didn't say it?

    Second, I already said I can't watch the clip yet. That said, I know Media Matters style. You going "OMG they're going to claim its biased but its right there" is an ignorant attempt at trying to preempt a LEGITIMATE argument. I'm not going to waste my time becuase you don't want to read previous posts and retype what I said, but read up a few posts for my explanation of it during the Limbaugh thing. "His own words" means NOTHING but that he said them, words alone are only part of the story.

    Third, the "its his words" argument by itself is plainly dishonest and ignorant. I'm sure if we had someone focusing on you, watching every single post you make, we could find somewhere that we could extract a single line of a quote and put it up along with a long opinionated diatribe to give it context other than what is actually there and claim "Its your own words". However even though it was "your own words" the way we prefaced it and placing it out of context not just with your post but your entire posting history would make the argument rather worthless. Thats why just saying "its his own words" when you take a 2 minute or 5 minute clip from an hour show that's on 5 days a week with years of potential history regarding the persons views and history is rather worthless as the ONLy argument you present.

    Fourth, all of which doesn't even touch on your pathetic attempt at one of the ****tiest forum techniques ever, which is to try and immedietely begin ridiculing legitimate counters while trying to present your argument and interpritation as the ONLY logical one and anyone disagreeing with you must immedietely be ridiculed. The only reason you bring those things up as what people are going to say as an explanation is because you know damn well those have been legitimate counters in the past so you're trying to ridicule and debase those arguments before they come in. Because god knows the worthless unsubstantiated crap and toilet paper weak arguments you've made couldn't actually stand up to anyone actually putting forth a counter argument.

  3. #53
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Beck suggests Obama administration "coming after him" and may kill him

    I was under the presumption that Beck was already dead and instead we had cyborg-Beck who is part Conservative LOL-PUNdit and part douchebag.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  4. #54
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Beck suggests Obama administration "coming after him" and may kill him

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Second, I already said I can't watch the clip yet. That said, I know Media Matters style. You going "OMG they're going to claim its biased but its right there" is an ignorant attempt at trying to preempt a LEGITIMATE argument.
    This is about what Beck said about Obama wanting to kill him, not anything else.

  5. #55
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Beck suggests Obama administration "coming after him" and may kill him

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    This is about what Beck said about Obama wanting to kill him, not anything else.
    Except by trying to preempt the attempt at pointing out Media Matter's biases you have made their history become relevant to this thread to counter your attempt to counter that as an argument. By denying that it is a legitimate argument the need to show that Media Matters is biased and unable to be taken at face value becomes pertinent to the discussion. To do that it is required to reference previous attempts by Media Matters to mislead through the manipulation of people and acting like "its his own words" is enough to make an argument rock solid.

    Don't blame me for what you've done.

    But then agian, why am I even typing, your debate style is tired and obvious. You ignore all the points that actually counter the crap that comes out of the few things you actually type and then latch onto whatever little piece possible to use it as an attempt to exit in a snarky way, hoping that the person won't persue since you've made it obvious that an actual convresation or debate is the farthest from your rhetoric filled agenda.

    What Media Matters has done with other people, and even with Beck in the past, is pertinent to this in making the argument that simply because its "his own words" does not in any way, shape, or form mean that is the entire story or situation surrounding it nor that the spin that Media Matters presents to precondition the viewer/listener means their interpritation of his words are automatically correct.

  6. #56
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Beck suggests Obama administration "coming after him" and may kill him

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I will be happy to continue this if you can show that Media Matters somehow edited the clip, took it out of context, glenn beck meant something different or pretty much anything verifiable that counters my post.
    I would bet a large sum of money that this was taken completely out of context and was used to make a point. I am bandwidth-challenged, and can't watch the clip, but will try to find a transcript.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #57
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Beck suggests Obama administration "coming after him" and may kill him

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Except by trying to preempt the attempt at pointing out Media Matter's biases you have made their history become relevant to this thread to counter your attempt to counter that as an argument.
    Huh?

    It's about how Beck said something paranoid and idiotic. He said it regardless of which site you watch it on.

  8. #58
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Beck suggests Obama administration "coming after him" and may kill him

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I would bet a large sum of money that this was taken completely out of context and was used to make a point. I am bandwidth-challenged, and can't watch the clip, but will try to find a transcript.
    He said:

    "For those of you in the administration, who are coming after me ... remember, you've broken three [of the 10 Commandments], let's not make it four; thou shalt not kill."

    What's the context?

  9. #59
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Beck suggests Obama administration "coming after him" and may kill him

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I would bet a large sum of money that this was taken completely out of context and was used to make a point. I am bandwidth-challenged, and can't watch the clip, but will try to find a transcript.
    Actually there was a poster who said she watched the episode in question in its entirety and said that the Media Matters clip was correct.

    Regardless this is just Beck being Beck and screaming look at me.

  10. #60
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Beck suggests Obama administration "coming after him" and may kill him

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    He said:

    "For those of you in the administration, who are coming after me ... remember, you've broken three [of the 10 Commandments], let's not make it four; thou shalt not kill."

    What's the context?
    Immedietely just reading that and only that, not reading a bunch of preconditioning media matters opinions or spin on it, and taking an objective look on it even ignoring who said it...i'd say its someone using hyperbole and allagory.

    The only way I'd read that, from a purely objective point of view, as someone LITERALLY believing the president is going to literally kill them is if they didn't have a history of using allagory or hyperbole to make points and did have a history of being extremely paranoid or any legitimate reason to believe it to be true.

    Commentators, regardless of their sign, tend to use heavy doses of sarcasm, hyperbole, allagory, and other type of devices to heighten their entertainment value and to put across their points. Beck, while definitely having some crazy ideas and views at times, does not seem to have provided any evidence that he's crazy enough to believe that the government is actually tying to LITERALLY kill him let alone state such on TV if it was legitimate, and I've seen no reason to believe such things are actually true to inspire such an idea.

    That, mixed with the attempt at the theme with breaking commandments, it seems more an hyperbolic comment equating "kill" to "silence" so that he could slide another commandment break in there to complete the imagery.

    This is also why I would say context would be important. Prior to the clip or leading into it was he discussing fears of the administration attempting to silence critics through various methods (be it direct or indirect) and thus when he talks about coming after him and "killing" him it'd make it even clearer that it was possibly simply alagory for silencing opposition.

    But wait...

    Media Matters gave extreme spin on their inteprirtation of it so that's naturally the only way to possibly interprit what was said. My bad, sorry...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •