Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: EXCLUSIVE -- Democrats plan doc fix after reform

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: EXCLUSIVE -- Democrats plan doc fix after reform

    who cares about the memo

    the point is its MESSAGE is the actualized behavior of leadership

    hello

    they ARE gonna attempt a doc fix, on the order of a THIRD OF A TRIL

    that's a HUGE sum

    they are NOT gonna pay for it, it will be off budget, accounted vs the deficit

    which means that their underlying premise that their bill is a cost saver is a LIE

    and, no, absolutely, they DO NOT want you/us talking about it...

  2. #22
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: EXCLUSIVE -- Democrats plan doc fix after reform

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    The doctor reimbursement fix needs to be passed regardless of whether the health care reform bill is passed or not. These are separate issues.
    If that's the case, why did the dems originally lump them together? Why does the doc fix need to be passed, and how is that unrelated to health care reform at large? What makes the doc fix less related than, say, student loan reform? Can you guess why the doc fix was removed while student loan reform was added in?

    Don't just parrot what Ezra Klein said, I'd love answers to those questions in your own words.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #23
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: EXCLUSIVE -- Democrats plan doc fix after reform

    The two issues, health care reform and doctor reimbursement, are related issues in that they both deal in health care and it is quite common to include related issues in one bill. But, they are independent in that if health care reform is not addressed for whatever reason, doctor reimbursement must still be addressed. Mixing the two allows some representatives to kill health care reform because they oppose fixing doctor reimbursement. Separating the two allows health care reform to be addressed in isolation and is a quite reasonable approach.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  4. #24
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: EXCLUSIVE -- Democrats plan doc fix after reform

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    The two issues, health care reform and doctor reimbursement, are related issues in that they both deal in health care and it is quite common to include related issues in one bill. But, they are independent in that if health care reform is not addressed for whatever reason, doctor reimbursement must still be addressed. Mixing the two allows some representatives to kill health care reform because they oppose fixing doctor reimbursement. Separating the two allows health care reform to be addressed in isolation and is a quite reasonable approach.
    How is it different from any other portion of the HC bill? The bill is not a monolithic block of policies, all of which are inextricably intertwined - it's a collection of policies that the Dems believe will help the health care situation. The HC bill includes, among other things:

    -Changes in reimbursements for particular types of medical procedures
    -Revenue raising provisions dealing with capital gains
    -Subsidies for some families
    -An expansion of Medicaid
    -The creation of an individual mandate

    Those seem like pretty diverse policies to me. Each of them have a different goal, a different method of implementation, and operate in conjunction with different existing policies. How can you say that all of those things are fundamental parts of the bill that must be included, but an adjustment to another type of doctor reimbursement must not?

    The reason why those things are in the bill and why the doc fix is not is because those things don't put the bill in the red, while the doc fix does. Period.

    I also notice that you ignored my question about student loan reform. Do you have an explanation for why that's an integral part of health care reform, but doctor reimbursement rates aren't?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: EXCLUSIVE -- Democrats plan doc fix after reform

    as full of blarney as o'barry himself

    the point is undeniable---obama's BILL claims to save some 138B versus the deficit

    but it ACCOUNTS on a reduction in doc pay that AINT NEVER GONNA HAPPEN

    by DESIGN

    hello

  6. #26
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: EXCLUSIVE -- Democrats plan doc fix after reform

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    …Do you have an explanation for why [student loan reform is] an integral part of health care reform, but doctor reimbursement rates aren't?
    Just as doctor reimbursement was excluded from the health care reform bill because it made it more difficult to pass the bill, the addition of the student loan reform bill makes it more easy to pass that, and most people outside of red-dog conservatives readily recognize student loan reform as ‘a good thing.’

    Excerpted from “The Other Huge Reform At Stake Sunday” By Jonathan Chait, The New Republic, March 19, 2010 | 9:45 am
    … [T]he fact that this [combined health care reform and student loan reconciliation bill] is a straight majority vote means the usual coalition of every Republican plus a couple Democratic shills won't be enough to stop it. This would be a major advance for the cause of good government reform.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  7. #27
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: EXCLUSIVE -- Democrats plan doc fix after reform

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    Just as doctor reimbursement was excluded from the health care reform bill because it made it more difficult to pass the bill, the addition of the student loan reform bill makes it more easy to pass that, and most people outside of red-dog conservatives readily recognize student loan reform as ‘a good thing.’
    That doesn't explain how the doctor fix is not related but the student loan part is related.

    It basically means that if someone doesn't vote for it, they can be labeled anti children or something else nonsensical.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #28
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: EXCLUSIVE -- Democrats plan doc fix after reform

    Voting against student loan reform is a vote for continuing the existing business handout program.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  9. #29
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: EXCLUSIVE -- Democrats plan doc fix after reform

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    Voting against student loan reform is a vote for continuing the existing business handout program.
    That may be partially true but it shouldn't be included in the health care bill.
    If it merits change, that should be apparent on it's own.

    Basically the leadership have decided that they have to manipulate the perception of the actual cost of "health care reform" by throwing in non related savings and leaving out related expenses.

    It is a shell game.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #30
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: EXCLUSIVE -- Democrats plan doc fix after reform

    Nonsense. This is the reconciliation bill, the one and only; it's time to reconcile!
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •