Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75

Thread: What credit-card payoff? Consumers are dumping debt

  1. #11
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    Re: What credit-card payoff? Consumers are dumping debt

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I won't defend banks/credit card companies, because they have charged outrages rates and fees. However, someone who uses the card irresponsibly is also accountable. The CC company did not hold a gun to their head when they ran up huge debts or signed up for the card. Some people get what they deserve.
    Seems some people are interpreting it as "money for nothing". LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #12
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: What credit-card payoff? Consumers are dumping debt

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Seems some people are interpreting it as "money for nothing". LOL.
    Dire straits you say,

    "We gotta install microwave ovens Custom kitchen deliveries We gotta move these refrigerators We gotta move these color TV's"

    Yep to many people lived well beyond their means. Heck just charge it. Wait I can a second card to pay of the first.

    Credit should be used wisely. I have taken loans out, but paid them off early. Have been debt free for years.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: What credit-card payoff? Consumers are dumping debt

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I won't defend banks/credit card companies, because they have charged outrages rates and fees. However, someone who uses the card irresponsibly is also accountable. The CC company did not hold a gun to their head when they ran up huge debts or signed up for the card. Some people get what they deserve.
    I would say the CC companies are indeed getting what they deserve.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: What credit-card payoff? Consumers are dumping debt

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Yep to many people lived well beyond their means. Heck just charge it. Wait I can a second card to pay of the first.
    And you don't place any blame on a shift in societal morals regarding credit?

    Credit should be used wisely. I have taken loans out, but paid them off early. Have been debt free for years.
    Good for you. Do we, as a society, teach our children to act responsibly with credit or do we teach them to get whatever they can when they can and worry about paying for it later? Do we promote wanton consumerism and greed?

  5. #15
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: What credit-card payoff? Consumers are dumping debt

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    And you don't place any blame on a shift in societal morals regarding credit?
    - An indivial is responsible for their own actions. Rather that be the buyer, the employee, the business owner, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Good for you. Do we, as a society, teach our children to act responsibly with credit or do we teach them to get whatever they can when they can and worry about paying for it later? Do we promote wanton consumerism and greed?
    - I can't speak for society. I raised my daughter to be a good person and the difference between "want" and "need". I also taught her the value of credit and how to use it wisely. She earned an allowance rather than given an allowance. She and her husband are keeping their head above water despite her being laid off from her job in December.

    - Not sure who "we" is. Since I am an American I can say that my wife and I don't just go out and buy the lastest electronics or other items just because. We never believed in "keeping up with the Jones" way of life. While some of our friends upgraded their houses and cars over the years by taking out large loans. We stayed in our older nice house and tend to keep vehicles at least 10 years. Now we are retired and can do pretty much what we want, because we planned for it. Have a house in the mountains, house in the desert, cars paid for, debt free with still a nice nest egg.

    - Just because someone says you can afford it, doesn't mean go out and buy it. Many did not and they are paying the price. Should banks riip them off. Of course not, but banks should not pay the price for an individual stupidity. Read the contract before you sign. If you don't understand, don't sign till you are sure you do. Pretty simple.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: What credit-card payoff? Consumers are dumping debt

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    - An indivial is responsible for their own actions. Rather that be the buyer, the employee, the business owner, etc.
    Ah, so you believe in individualism? Not into philosophy much eh? Are you Christian as well?

    I can't speak for society.
    I stopped reading after that sentence because it looked like you were going to ramble on about an unrelated topic.

  7. #17
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: What credit-card payoff? Consumers are dumping debt

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Ah, so you believe in individualism? Not into philosophy much eh? Are you Christian as well?


    I stopped reading after that sentence because it looked like you were going to ramble on about an unrelated topic.
    I’ll be more direct in answering your question. IMO, many parents have not done a good job in teaching their children to “act responsibly with credit”. There are some that do. Who do think is responsible when someone lives beyond their means?

    Your sly remarks tell a lot about you. One way to not debate.

    My religious belief is important to the discussion. Einstein when asked about his religion once stated it was mosaic. I’ll go with that.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: What credit-card payoff? Consumers are dumping debt

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I’ll be more direct in answering your question. IMO, many parents have not done a good job in teaching their children to “act responsibly with credit”. There are some that do. Who do think is responsible when someone lives beyond their means?
    So then you do understand that society plays an important role in behavior. You're moving in the right direction.
    Who is responsible when someone lives beyond their means? Well, everyone. Society sets the table for failure and unless the individual can overcome those patterns that are taught and social pressures to succeed/have more, then they will fall prey to the trap. Society needs to look down on greed, teach responsible living and handling of money and the media needs to stop glorifying excess.

    Your sly remarks tell a lot about you. One way to not debate.
    There was nothing to debate. I asked a specific question about society and you wanted to give me personal anecdotes about how YOU live and raise kids. Meaningless to the discussion. It did however prompt you to answer the question which THEN continued the debate. Making your attack on me, empty.

    My religious belief is important to the discussion. Einstein when asked about his religion once stated it was mosaic. I’ll go with that.
    So whatever excuses your behavior, got it.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: What credit-card payoff? Consumers are dumping debt

    I've spent this month weaning myself off of credit card use, as a part of my overall stategy to accomplish my goal of paying of my house in 1.5-2 years time. I'm finding that using only cash really restraints my impulse spending and makes me look before I leap. I still was able to send in an extra $1200 on my mortgage.

    Even if you pay off your card each month, you are still one month behind by using a credit card, and you spend more.

  10. #20
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: What credit-card payoff? Consumers are dumping debt

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Who is responsible when someone lives beyond their means? Well, everyone. Society sets the table for failure and unless the individual can overcome those patterns that are taught and social pressures to succeed/have more, then they will fall prey to the trap. Society needs to look down on greed, teach responsible living and handling of money and the media needs to stop glorifying excess..
    How do you see society doing this? Does it not have to start with a individual or the parents to make the change?

    I understand what you are saying. IMO, It still boils down to individual choice. Even though that choice may be guided by society or the people the individual associates with.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •