Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58

Thread: Eric Massa slams Democrat leaders for ethics probe

  1. #41
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Eric Massa slams Democrat leaders for ethics probe

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Are you implying that the ethics committee can automatically reject a complaint because it doesn't help the party in charge?

    A complaint is filed by multiple sources and it MUST be investigated. There are no, "Well, Joe Shmo, this looks like a stupid complaint. Bye." No. The employees must investigate it and provide a report to the ENTIRE COMMITTEE made up of both Democrats and Republicans, who then vote as to what should happen with the complaint. It's not about appearances for either party.
    I'm saying the exact opposite - some people have posited that this ethics investigation was a sham to get Massa to resign because of his opposition to health care. I'm saying that even if we want to believe the worst about people, that wouldn't even make sense as it wouldn't help the Democrats overall.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,947

    Re: Eric Massa slams Democrat leaders for ethics probe

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Massa told us this past week about why he was quitting:
    1. His cancer is back and he needs to quit to deal with it and with family stuff
    2. He is about to be the subject of an ethics probe and he doesn't want to drag his family through it
    3. He's being forced out of the House
    So to begin with, we're talking about a guy who can't keep his story straight.

    Next, consider the timing. An ethics probe would take months, weeks at the very least, and the vote on the health care bill is (last I checked) scheduled for next week. Massa could easily hang in, vote, and then quit and escape the ethics probe -- since he'd be outside its reach and completely irrelevant in any case once he resigned.

    There is something else going on here that we don't know about, and that is the real story -- not who is eating who.
    Well stated. The timing is the key. Why resign today when he could hang on for weeks or months? As has been pointed out in the thread, Rangel held out for what, years?

    If he was being forced out, he should at least have stayed long enough to vote and stick it to whoever he believes is behind it.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    This whole line of argument never really made much sense to me. Does anyone think that having him get investigated by the ethics committee helps the Democrats on the whole? While I guess I can see the convoluted logic that would lead one to say it (marginally) could help with regards to the health bill, any benefits from that would be far outweighed by the reputational hit that the party is taking, the loss of his vote on other matters, and the ever-present possibility that he would do...this.

    Given the supremely creepy way in which he's describing his own actions, I think it's safe to say that he's fallen into some deep water and is clutching at whatever he can to keep himself from drowning.
    This is another very good point. Indeed, after Rangel last week, why would Democrats raise another ethics investigation?

    What a concept, charges of wrong doing can help the party and its goals?

    There is also no guarantee who will replace him.

  3. #43
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Eric Massa slams Democrat leaders for ethics probe

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Link


    Democrats are eating their own now in order to get this healthcare bill jammed through the House.
    Since Massa has come forward VERY publicly, the democrats should have no problem producing all the evidence against him that they used to coerce his resignation.

    Dont know what everyone is shocked about. This has been Rahm Emmanuels reputation forever.

  4. #44
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Eric Massa slams Democrat leaders for ethics probe

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Since Massa has come forward VERY publicly, the democrats should have no problem producing all the evidence against him that they used to coerce his resignation.

    Dont know what everyone is shocked about. This has been Rahm Emmanuels reputation forever.
    This has been every party's reputation forever. When a politician does something really stupid that looks like it could harm the party, he is placed under intense pressure by his side to resign and minimize the damage. There's nothing wrong with that.

    What some people were claiming was that these charges were somehow trumped up by the Democrats in order to force him to resign because he was going to vote against the healthcare bill. That doesn't make sense.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #45
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Eric Massa slams Democrat leaders for ethics probe

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    This has been every party's reputation forever. When a politician does something really stupid that looks like it could harm the party, he is placed under intense pressure by his side to resign and minimize the damage. There's nothing wrong with that.

    What some people were claiming was that these charges were somehow trumped up by the Democrats in order to force him to resign because he was going to vote against the healthcare bill. That doesn't make sense.
    Again...there should be no reason now for the staffer that claims sexual harrassment to come forward and give his side of the story. Truth will set everyone free. And honestly...I dont know who to believe and Im not sure I care. Dems and reps...MOST of them are corrupt anyway.

    They should all resign and we should be able to have a do-over...a mulligan for our government.

  6. #46
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Eric Massa slams Democrat leaders for ethics probe

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Again...there should be no reason now for the staffer that claims sexual harrassment to come forward and give his side of the story. Truth will set everyone free. And honestly...I dont know who to believe and Im not sure I care. Dems and reps...MOST of them are corrupt anyway.

    They should all resign and we should be able to have a do-over...a mulligan for our government.
    I think the staffer should not come forward. The staffer will unquestionably be interviewed by the ethics committee, and should say nothing until the investigation is over.

  7. #47
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Eric Massa slams Democrat leaders for ethics probe

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I think the staffer should not come forward. The staffer will unquestionably be interviewed by the ethics committee, and should say nothing until the investigation is over.
    since massa resigned, why do we need an investigation?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  8. #48
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Eric Massa slams Democrat leaders for ethics probe

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    since massa resigned, why do we need an investigation?
    Hmmmmm. You have a point. I believe, however, that the committee must dismiss it on a vote.

    I do want to hear/read the juicy details!

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,947

    Re: Eric Massa slams Democrat leaders for ethics probe

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Hmmmmm. You have a point. I believe, however, that the committee must dismiss it on a vote.

    I do want to hear/read the juicy details!
    Oh, so do I. Imagine if that creepy radio interview is just the tip of the iceberg?

    The rest has to be jaw dropping.

  10. #50
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Eric Massa slams Democrat leaders for ethics probe

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I think the staffer should not come forward. The staffer will unquestionably be interviewed by the ethics committee, and should say nothing until the investigation is over.
    If he is retiring he is no longer a staffer...and since Massa came forward and gave details WITH corroboration, then the accuser should as well. I doubt the ethics investigation will continue.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •