Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: The Texas Primaries

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,755

    The Texas Primaries

    I went to the polls today, and voted for Hutchinson. Looks like Perry is going to come out on top, though. Hopefully, Medina will get enough votes to force a runoff between Hutchinson and Perry, which will give Hutchinson a chance to gain enough ground to pull out a victory. Doesn't look promising, though. If Perry wins, I will be voting for White in the primary, which will be the first time in my life I have ever voted for a Democrat. That is how much I despise Perry. During his term in office, he has raised taxes on cigarettes by executive order, and also, by executive order, made it law that girls all get a vaccine that had not even been tested on humans, after getting a huge donation from the pharmaceutical company that manufactures it.

    Perry is one of the crookedest governors Texas has ever had, so crooked that I miss Governor Bush, who was actually a pretty good governor here. Many will remember Bush for the terrible job he did as president. I prefer to remember him for the decent job he did as governor of Texas. I just wish he hadn't gotten sidetracked by those crazy people, after he won in 2000. If he hadn't, I think he would have been a pretty good president.

    At any rate, Perry's got to go, and I am ready to cast my first vote for a Democrat in my entire lifetime, in order to help show him the door.

    On the Democratic side, Bill White is opening up a can of whoopass on Faroukh Shami. Nothing to see here. Move along, folks. LOL.
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-02-10 at 08:15 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,249

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I went to the polls today, and voted for Hutchinson. Looks like Perry is going to come out on top, though. Hopefully, Medina will get enough votes to force a runoff between Hutchinson and Perry, which will give Hutchinson a chance to gain enough ground to pull out a victory. Doesn't look promising, though. If Perry wins, I will be voting for White in the primary, which will be the first time in my life I have ever voted for a Democrat. That is how much I despise Perry. During his term in office, he has raised taxes on cigarettes by executive order, and also, by executive order, made it law that girls all get a vaccine that had not even been tested on humans, after getting a huge donation from the pharmaceutical company that manufactures it.

    Perry is one of the crookedest governors Texas has ever had, so crooked that I miss Governor Bush, who was actually a pretty good governor here. Many will remember Bush for the terrible job he did as president. I prefer to remember him for the decent job he did as governor of Texas. I just wish he hadn't gotten sidetracked by those crazy people, after he won in 2000. If he hadn't, I think he would have been a pretty good president.

    At any rate, Perry's got to go, and I am ready to cast my first vote for a Democrat in my entire lifetime, in order to help show him the door.

    On the Democratic side, Bill White is opening up a can of whoopass on Faroukh Shami. Nothing to see here. Move along, folks. LOL.
    I ended up voting for Medina, knowing she had no chance. Allow me to add that what Perry has done to our state parks system over his tenure gets my blood boiling. Like you I despise him for a whole lot of good reasons. I too will vote for White, but I've voted democrat before.
    Last edited by Sir Loin; 03-02-10 at 10:09 PM.

  3. #3
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I went to the polls today, and voted for Hutchinson. Looks like Perry is going to come out on top, though. Hopefully, Medina will get enough votes to force a runoff between Hutchinson and Perry, which will give Hutchinson a chance to gain enough ground to pull out a victory. Doesn't look promising, though. If Perry wins, I will be voting for White in the primary, which will be the first time in my life I have ever voted for a Democrat. That is how much I despise Perry. During his term in office, he has raised taxes on cigarettes by executive order, and also, by executive order, made it law that girls all get a vaccine that had not even been tested on humans, after getting a huge donation from the pharmaceutical company that manufactures it.

    Perry is one of the crookedest governors Texas has ever had, so crooked that I miss Governor Bush, who was actually a pretty good governor here. Many will remember Bush for the terrible job he did as president. I prefer to remember him for the decent job he did as governor of Texas. I just wish he hadn't gotten sidetracked by those crazy people, after he won in 2000. If he hadn't, I think he would have been a pretty good president.

    At any rate, Perry's got to go, and I am ready to cast my first vote for a Democrat in my entire lifetime, in order to help show him the door.

    On the Democratic side, Bill White is opening up a can of whoopass on Faroukh Shami. Nothing to see here. Move along, folks. LOL.
    Poor texas...I hope an election like this never happens again.

  4. #4
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,755

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    Poor texas...I hope an election like this never happens again.
    Well, who knows. Maybe, if White and Perry beat each other up badly enough, then Kinky Friedman can actually win this time. LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #5
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,249

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Well, who knows. Maybe, if White and Perry beat each other up badly enough, then Kinky Friedman can actually win this time. LOL.
    I voted for Kinky last time, even attended a couple of fundraisers here for him at Casbeers. Home of the Kinky Friedman Utopia Burger, which is quite good!
    Casbeers At The Church

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Well, who knows. Maybe, if White and Perry beat each other up badly enough, then Kinky Friedman can actually win this time. LOL.
    He is going for Ag Commissioner this go around.

  7. #7
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,413

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
    I ended up voting for Medina, knowing she had no chance. Allow me to add that what Perry has done to our state parks system over his tenure gets my blood boiling. Like you I despise him for a whole lot of good reasons. I too will vote for White, but I've voted democrat before.
    My wife is from Texas, what did he do to the state parks there?
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #8
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,249

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    My wife is from Texas, what did he do to the state parks there?
    He continued Bush's practice of robbing the whole system. For over a decade our parks funding has been diverted away from the parks so that our governor and legislature can say we have a balanced budget. Leaving our parks underfunded, understaffed and in many cases only open a few days a week. The infrastructure of our parks has literally been crumbling for years.

    Examples would be Lake Fairfield State Park no longer able to offer boat trips out see Bald Eagles nesting because the engine on the boat broke. So the boat sat in a heap on the side of the lake because the park could not afford to fix the motor, nor have the boat towed away. The situation is still unresolved some five years later.

    Bathroom facilities and other infrastructure amenities (campsites, showers, electrical girds) statewide shut down and closed rather than repaired, due to lack of funding. Our public parks in many areas were scaled back to only open two to three days a week. A typical example is also Government Canyon State Natural Area, when funded was conceived as shinning example of responsible land stewardship. A massive amount of time money (millions) was spent building some of most modern and well appointed campgrounds in the state and putting in over 50 miles of trails. Only to have the park open, but actually only be "open" three days a week. Days only, the park closes iin the evening, the campgrounds literally unused to this day because there is no money to have the park open to campers overnight.

    Texans can purchase a special "State Parks" automobile license plate, the funds from sale of same meant to go directly to the parks system. Most of the funds meant by citizens to go to the parks, like much of the parks stated budget, diverted for creative accounting use instead. A few years ago nearly 46 million dollars supposed to used by the parks, from hunting and fishing fees, was fund by a newspaper to be just sitting in a bank account. Unused.

    Perry actually closed some parks and wanted to sell many others to drum up more money for state coffers. He wanted to sell part of Big Bend State Park and wanted to sell all of Black Gap State Natural Area to a Mexican cement company.

    It just goes on and on and makes for convoluted reading and investigating to get to the truth of just what the state has been doing with all the money budgeted to the parks, that the parks never get.

    I could go on but I've got business to attend to shortly. Some small progress was made earlier this year when finally some more money meant for the parks, was allowed to finally make it to the parks. Only after nearly half a decade of fighting by citizens groups and park advocates. Perry tends to feign interest in the parks budget issue every time he faces re-election. Not surprisingly once that is done he tends to renege on his campaign statements and promises regarding the parks.

    Here is a link, admittedly old, that I have bookmarked. There is a lot online about the situation if anyone cares to to some Google searching.

    Texas State Parks: Gov. Perry's Double-Talkin' Jive - Austinist
    Last edited by Sir Loin; 03-03-10 at 08:39 PM.

  9. #9
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,413

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    That is a shame. Texas already has one of the lowest percentages of public land of any state in America. My home state of Arkansas is like the Adirondacks to Texans because unlike Texas, Arkansas has million and millions of acres of public land.

    The same has been the case with the National Park system for a decade now. Its been chronically underfunded, and in the scheme of things its a tiny federal outlay to begin with.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  10. #10
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I went to the polls today, and voted for Hutchinson. Looks like Perry is going to come out on top, though. Hopefully, Medina will get enough votes to force a runoff between Hutchinson and Perry, which will give Hutchinson a chance to gain enough ground to pull out a victory. Doesn't look promising, though. If Perry wins, I will be voting for White in the primary, which will be the first time in my life I have ever voted for a Democrat. That is how much I despise Perry. During his term in office, he has raised taxes on cigarettes by executive order, and also, by executive order, made it law that girls all get a vaccine that had not even been tested on humans, after getting a huge donation from the pharmaceutical company that manufactures it.

    Perry is one of the crookedest governors Texas has ever had, so crooked that I miss Governor Bush, who was actually a pretty good governor here. Many will remember Bush for the terrible job he did as president. I prefer to remember him for the decent job he did as governor of Texas. I just wish he hadn't gotten sidetracked by those crazy people, after he won in 2000. If he hadn't, I think he would have been a pretty good president.

    At any rate, Perry's got to go, and I am ready to cast my first vote for a Democrat in my entire lifetime, in order to help show him the door.

    On the Democratic side, Bill White is opening up a can of whoopass on Faroukh Shami. Nothing to see here. Move along, folks. LOL.
    You voted for Hutchison? I would have voted for White, but I was busy with my ... um ... something.

    Anyone's better than Rick "Secede from the union" Perry.
    Last edited by Cilogy; 03-03-10 at 10:53 PM.


Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •