Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: The Texas Primaries

  1. #51
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,259

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by usda select View Post
    I do live in Houston myself and I will be voting a straight ticket for the first time ever this November.

    I think that the men who have occupied the Oval Office all wanted what they thought was best for the nation. Voting a straight ticket may or may not change things but if you accept that nobody who sat behind the President's desk had ill intent; why not let him enact his edicts by giving him a Congress that would move in "some" direction.

    Gridlock isn't working for me, you, or anybody else.

    As for Rick Perry, it is time for a change. I say elect White.
    Have you not paid attention, the Democrats have controlled the Congress since 2007 and when Obama was elected they soon had a super majority and could have passed anything they wanted. Obama couldn't sell his own party.

    Better travel around the country and see the mood in other states before changing horses in TX.

  2. #52
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Have you not paid attention, the Democrats have controlled the Congress since 2007 and when Obama was elected they soon had a super majority and could have passed anything they wanted. Obama couldn't sell his own party.

    Better travel around the country and see the mood in other states before changing horses in TX.
    you don't understand texas politics. Our politicians have little to do with the national mood. White will probably win, and I'd vote for himself, because he is just about dang near libertarian than Perry is, and probably more fiscal conservative

  3. #53
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,259

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    you don't understand texas politics. Our politicians have little to do with the national mood. White will probably win, and I'd vote for himself, because he is just about dang near libertarian than Perry is, and probably more fiscal conservative
    As I stated I like Bill White but it is a long way until November and let's see how he responds to Obama. At this point I don't see any reason to vote for White and make the change. Becareful of what you ask for. Some here haven't a clue how bad things are around the nation. TX has weathered the storm quite well and Perry has been at the helm.

  4. #54
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    you don't understand texas politics. Our politicians have little to do with the national mood. White will probably win, and I'd vote for himself, because he is just about dang near libertarian than Perry is, and probably more fiscal conservative
    I disagree with you. First of all, White is not well known outside of Houston, so he is going to have his work cut out for him. Also, there ARE issues that are going to hurt White, such as supporting Houston being a sanctuary city, where illegal aliens can hang out on street corners, looking for work, enabling employers to bypass I-9 hiring requirements.

    There are a LOT of things I don't like about White, and I normally would not vote for him. However, Perry is corrupt to the point that ANYBODY is going to be better. If White wins, then next gubernatorial election, I will most likely vote for a Republican. Giving White one term as governor is a small price to pay for removing Perry.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #55
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,259

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I disagree with you. First of all, White is not well known outside of Houston, so he is going to have his work cut out for him. Also, there ARE issues that are going to hurt White, such as supporting Houston being a sanctuary city, where illegal aliens can hang out on street corners, looking for work, enabling employers to bypass I-9 hiring requirements.

    There are a LOT of things I don't like about White, and I normally would not vote for him. However, Perry is corrupt to the point that ANYBODY is going to be better. If White wins, then next gubernatorial election, I will most likely vote for a Republican. Giving White one term as governor is a small price to pay for removing Perry.

    The illegal issue is going to be big in November as indeed Houston is a sanctuary city and White has some "explainin" to do. Illegals cost the citizens of TX millions each year and White has been soft on illegals.

  6. #56
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,285

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    That is a shame. Texas already has one of the lowest percentages of public land of any state in America. My home state of Arkansas is like the Adirondacks to Texans because unlike Texas, Arkansas has million and millions of acres of public land.

    The same has been the case with the National Park system for a decade now. Its been chronically underfunded, and in the scheme of things its a tiny federal outlay to begin with.
    Public land.....you mean federal land or state land or what?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #57
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The illegal issue is going to be big in November as indeed Houston is a sanctuary city and White has some "explainin" to do. Illegals cost the citizens of TX millions each year and White has been soft on illegals.
    White has been more than soft on illegals. He has encouraged the use of Houston as a sanctuary city. However, Perry has turned a blind eye to it also.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #58
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,259

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    White has been more than soft on illegals. He has encouraged the use of Houston as a sanctuary city. However, Perry has turned a blind eye to it also.
    When you have mayors like White doing what they are doing what would you have the Governor do?

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    930

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Have you not paid attention, the Democrats have controlled the Congress since 2007 and when Obama was elected they soon had a super majority and could have passed anything they wanted. Obama couldn't sell his own party.

    Better travel around the country and see the mood in other states before changing horses in TX.
    You're right; the Democrats are afraid of success almost as much as the Republicans are afraid of everything else.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    930

    Re: The Texas Primaries

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I disagree with you. First of all, White is not well known outside of Houston, so he is going to have his work cut out for him. Also, there ARE issues that are going to hurt White, such as supporting Houston being a sanctuary city, where illegal aliens can hang out on street corners, looking for work, enabling employers to bypass I-9 hiring requirements.

    There are a LOT of things I don't like about White, and I normally would not vote for him. However, Perry is corrupt to the point that ANYBODY is going to be better. If White wins, then next gubernatorial election, I will most likely vote for a Republican. Giving White one term as governor is a small price to pay for removing Perry.
    I think it all depends on the mood of the voters. If Texas does have problems at the present, Perry has had plenty of time to address them even though the nuances of Gubenatorial power are such that he really has not got the power to unilaterally do much. It doesn't matter because most voters think that he can. Being an incumbent may not be the large advantage a lot of people think it is.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •