Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says

  1. #1
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says

    Two things come to mind with this information.

    1. It is fascinating that measurements can be made of such minute changes in the tilt of the earth.

    2. An earth quake lasting about 90 seconds can affect the whole world.

    It was said by a so-called expert that a similar size quake may soon be in the offing for the San Andreas here in Southern California.

    If you look at how far the epicenter is from the capital Santiago, nearly 200 miles away and the damage, then look at how close down town L.A. is to parts of the San Andreas less than 50 miles, the chance of devastation here is very real.

    I doubt even buildings that were built to the high standards we have in California could stand up to what they are now saying was ans 8.8 quake.

    I pray we never get to find out. Mostly because fault line is only 6 miles from here and 90 seconds of that kind of shaking will cause my heart to finally give up.

    Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth?s Axis, NASA Scientist Says - Bloomberg.com

    By Alex Morales

    March 1 (Bloomberg) -- The earthquake that killed more than 700 people in Chile on Feb. 27 probably shifted the Earth’s axis and shortened the day, a National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientist said.

    Earthquakes can involve shifting hundreds of kilometers of rock by several meters, changing the distribution of mass on the planet. This affects the Earth’s rotation, said Richard Gross, a geophysicist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, who uses a computer model to calculate the effects.

    “The length of the day should have gotten shorter by 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second),” Gross, said today in an e-mailed reply to questions. “The axis about which the Earth’s mass is balanced should have moved by 2.7 milliarcseconds (about 8 centimeters or 3 inches).”

    The changes can be modeled, though they’re difficult to physically detect given their small size, Gross said. Some changes may be more obvious, and islands may have shifted, according to Andreas Rietbrock, a professor of Earth Sciences at the U.K.’s Liverpool University who has studied the area impacted, though not since the latest temblor.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Two things come to mind with this information.

    1. It is fascinating that measurements can be made of such minute changes in the tilt of the earth.

    2. An earth quake lasting about 90 seconds can affect the whole world.

    It was said by a so-called expert that a similar size quake may soon be in the offing for the San Andreas here in Southern California.

    If you look at how far the epicenter is from the capital Santiago, nearly 200 miles away and the damage, then look at how close down town L.A. is to parts of the San Andreas less than 50 miles, the chance of devastation here is very real.

    I doubt even buildings that were built to the high standards we have in California could stand up to what they are now saying was ans 8.8 quake.

    I pray we never get to find out. Mostly because fault line is only 6 miles from here and 90 seconds of that kind of shaking will cause my heart to finally give up.
    Most likely every earth quake changes the earth's rotation if this one did... it's like, so what?
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  3. #3
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Most likely every earth quake changes the earth's rotation if this one did... it's like, so what?
    So what? So what!?!? I'll tell you so what. If the earthquake shortened the day a tiny fraction, then that means my work day is shorter. I am now working less for the same money..... Oops, I have that backwards. Clocks still run the same, so I am actually getting less time to relax at home. Damn it, I want a raise.
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-02-10 at 06:53 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #4
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    So what? So what!?!? I'll tell you so what. If the earthquake shortened the day a tiny fraction, then that means my work day is shorter. I am now working less for the same money..... Oops, I have that backwards. Clocks still run the same, so I am actually getting less time to relax at home. Damn it, I want a raise.
    Good point....... no wait, bad point.

    No, I think I'll stick to "so what".
    Last edited by Crunch; 03-02-10 at 06:56 PM.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  5. #5
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Good point....... I think we need to legislate more big quakes, maybe we can get the day down to 1/2 an hour.
    Damn, would our lifespan then suck? LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #6
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Damn, would our lifespan then suck? LOL.
    Caught me while I was changing my mind. again, and again, and again, and......
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  7. #7
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Caught me while I was changing my mind. again, and again, and again, and......
    Nice to meet you, Senator Kerry.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #8
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,267

    Re: Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says

    Probably time for a new tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •