Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Sestak alleges WH offered him a job to drop Senate bid

  1. #1
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Sestak alleges WH offered him a job to drop Senate bid

    44 - Sestak alleges WH offered him a job to drop Senate bid

    The lawmaker challenging Sen. Arlen Specter in Pennsylvania's Democratic primary claims the Obama administration pushed him to get out of the contest, even dangling the possibility of a plum job in return.

    Rep. Joe Sestak has been running hard for several months to oust Specter, who has had the support of President Obama and much of the Democratic establishment since he left the Republican Party and helped give his new party a temporary supermajority in the Senate. The White House's backing of Specter has long been clear, but did the administration actually go so far as to offer Sestak a job?

    As reported by the Philadelphia Inquirer Friday, Sestak was asked Thursday during a taping of a local television news show, "Larry Kane: Voice of Reason," whether the White House had made such an offer. Sestak responded, "Yes," but declined to provide any further details.

    Asked whether the position in question was Secretary of the Navy, Sestak said, "No comment." He did allow that the job was "high-ranking" but made clear that he would never have abandoned his campaign for such an offer.

    ...

    This isn't the only Democratic primary in which the White House has been accused of such behavior. In September, the Denver Post cited "several sources" in reporting that White House deputy chief of staff Jim Messina had told Andrew Romanoff he could get an administration post -- specifically at the U.S. Agency for International Development -- if he dropped his primary challenge to Sen. Michael Bennet. The White House denied that Romanoff had been offered a job.
    This type of thing is by no means unprecedented, but what is unusual about it is that it's coming out at all. This definitely doesn't make the white house look good.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #2
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Sestak alleges WH offered him a job to drop Senate bid

    Specter ought to be frog marched out of Washington.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #3
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,146

    Re: Sestak alleges WH offered him a job to drop Senate bid

    that they had to go to those lengths to save him in a primary, i think, indicates that he's toast against Toumey.

    which, of course, i am all about. I think it will be hilarious if he changed parties solely to save his seat and then loses it.

  4. #4
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Sestak alleges WH offered him a job to drop Senate bid

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    This type of thing is by no means unprecedented, but what is unusual about it is that it's coming out at all. This definitely doesn't make the white house look good.
    You mean because we're seeing politicians acting like... politicians? Oh my!

    They have a lonnnnng way to go to compete with your buddy Bush when it comes to political shenanigans, doncha think? I mean, no one's been convicted of a felony yet so, they're way ahead of the game.

    Go Sestak!
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  5. #5
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Sestak alleges WH offered him a job to drop Senate bid

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    You mean because we're seeing politicians acting like... politicians? Oh my!
    ReadingOPfail

    They have a lonnnnng way to go to compete with your buddy Bush when it comes to political shenanigans, doncha think? I mean, no one's been convicted of a felony yet so, they're way ahead of the game.
    Which is obviously the way we should judge every action for the rest of time. So long as it's not as bad as Bush, it's a-okay.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #6
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,155

    Re: Sestak alleges WH offered him a job to drop Senate bid

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    You mean because we're seeing politicians acting like... politicians? Oh my!

    They have a lonnnnng way to go to compete with your buddy Bush when it comes to political shenanigans, doncha think? I mean, no one's been convicted of a felony yet so, they're way ahead of the game.
    what a terrible benchmark to use to evaluate what political practices are acceptable

    Go Sestak!
    and screw that opportunist arlen specter
    steele got it right this time:
    Arlen Specter Left GOP To "Further His Personal Political Interests"
    Steele: Arlen Specter Left GOP To "Further His Personal Political Interests"

    and no, Obama. this is not change i can believe in

    i hope Sestak embarrasses you further with more of these disclosures of the smoke filled rooms in the white house where the good ole boys divvy up the political patronage
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #7
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Sestak alleges WH offered him a job to drop Senate bid

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Which is obviously the way we should judge every action for the rest of time. So long as it's not as bad as Bush, it's a-okay.
    Well. had I compared Obama with say, that other lying, treasonist President, Reagan, then I would agree with you because he was prez too long ago. But, your hero Bush, is the previous President. Considering how all you conservatives genuflected at his every misdeed, yeah I'd say he is the most appropriate comparison. It would seem logical that as long as a President is better than his predecessor then he is a... success.

    So, FAIL right back atcha.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  8. #8
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Sestak alleges WH offered him a job to drop Senate bid

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Well. had I compared Obama with say, that other lying, treasonist President, Reagan, then I would agree with you because he was prez too long ago. But, your hero Bush, is the previous President. Considering how all you conservatives genuflected at his every misdeed, yeah I'd say he is the most appropriate comparison. It would seem logical that as long as a President is better than his predecessor then he is a... success.

    So, FAIL right back atcha.
    So if Obama invaded Iran, you'd refrain from criticizing him solely because he only invaded one country whereas Bush invaded two?

    It's impressive to see how even-handed you are with these things. A weaker man might be opposed to all bad things, regardless of their magnitude.
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 02-20-10 at 12:11 AM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #9
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Sestak alleges WH offered him a job to drop Senate bid

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    You mean because we're seeing politicians acting like... politicians? Oh my!

    They have a lonnnnng way to go to compete with your buddy Bush when it comes to political shenanigans, doncha think? I mean, no one's been convicted of a felony yet so, they're way ahead of the game.

    Go Sestak!
    Just because Bush had shenanigans doesn't make it right for the Democrats to have them too. Wasn't it Democrats who decried Bush's shenanigans? To now turn a blind eye to their own is very hypocritical.

    But we have LESS shenanigans in our party, you say? Maybe, and maybe not. One thing for certain is that Bush administration officials claimed "We only torture a little", and you went ballistic. Where is your outrage now?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #10
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Sestak alleges WH offered him a job to drop Senate bid

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    You mean because we're seeing politicians acting like... politicians? Oh my!

    They have a lonnnnng way to go to compete with your buddy Bush when it comes to political shenanigans, doncha think? I mean, no one's been convicted of a felony yet so, they're way ahead of the game. Go Sestak!
    "Slick Willie" Clinton...........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •