Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71

Thread: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

  1. #1
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Link

    By Mira Oberman (AFP) 8 hours ago
    CHICAGO The US transportation chief's public rebukes of Toyota's handling of a massive safety recall have raised eyebrows, given the US government's major stake in rivals General Motors and Chrysler.
    "The optics are terrible because -- and this is what happens when a government owns a company - the two companies that are going to gain the most out of this are General Motors and Chrysler," said Peter Morici, a professor at the University of Maryland's business school.
    "But their behavior is consistent with the general policy of the US government, whether it's dealing with coffeemakers or cars."
    Safety officials understand that product design mistakes are inevitable and will work to help companies correct the problem and alert consumers. But they will not tolerate a slow or weak response, Morici told AFP.
    Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood sat down with reporters Wednesday to lay out a timeline of how US officials had "pushed Toyota to take corrective actions" on its pedal problems since 2007.
    The meeting came a day after he issued a statement accusing the Japanese automaker of dragging its feet on recalling vehicles in danger of sudden, unintended acceleration due to pedals which could get trapped under floor mats or become "sticky."
    He also caused a brief panic when he told a congressional panel that owners of 5.3 million Toyota vehicles affected by the recalls should "stop driving" them.
    Who thinks Toyota is today's climate would waste anytime in moving forward to correct a problem that would hurt its sterling reputation for quality and reliability? I don't think so. I did a search of NHTSA and could not find where the govt had been pushing Toyota since 2007 to fix this, nor could I find anything more than there was an instance regarding the floor mat issue, and the dealer could not duplicate it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #2
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Link


    Who thinks Toyota is today's climate would waste anytime in moving forward to correct a problem that would hurt its sterling reputation for quality and reliability? I don't think so. I did a search of NHTSA and could not find where the govt had been pushing Toyota since 2007 to fix this, nor could I find anything more than there was an instance regarding the floor mat issue, and the dealer could not duplicate it.
    oh boy...toyota had a floormat recall in 2007.

    Earlier Recall of Floor Mats
    In November 2007, Toyota recalled its all-weather mats in the 2007 and early 2008 ES 350s and Camrys after owners complained that the mats could slip forward and entrap the gas pedal if they were not properly attached to the floor. It is unclear whether the floor mat being looked at in the Saylor accident were among those previously recalled.


    Toyota Orders Inspection of All Lexus Floor Mats After Fatal Accident — Attorney At Law

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #3
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Well, Mr. "Slightly Liberal," I dunno. I don't have enough facts to make a conclusion on this. I do want to see the timeline for myself that LaHood alleges exists. And I am interested in the testimony that will be provided by Toyota on this.

    My family has been a loyal to Toyota for more than 20 years! I was planning on getting the hybrid Highlander this year. This whole thing has caused me to pause about this decision.

  4. #4
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Well, Mr. "Slightly Liberal," I dunno. I don't have enough facts to make a conclusion on this. I do want to see the timeline for myself that LaHood alleges exists. And I am interested in the testimony that will be provided by Toyota on this.

    My family has been a loyal to Toyota for more than 20 years! I was planning on getting the hybrid Highlander this year. This whole thing has caused me to pause about this decision.
    I have also owned many Toyota vehicles of different kinds, and never had a problem like this. I have no doubt that Toyota is taking the seriously and responding with the highest possible vigor to resolve this.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #5
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Link


    Who thinks Toyota is today's climate would waste anytime in moving forward to correct a problem that would hurt its sterling reputation for quality and reliability? I don't think so. I did a search of NHTSA and could not find where the govt had been pushing Toyota since 2007 to fix this, nor could I find anything more than there was an instance regarding the floor mat issue, and the dealer could not duplicate it.
    Their sterling reputation is getting hit right now regardless considering the nature of the issues they are dealing with right now. The Prius' brake problems are potentially deadly.

    But looking at the numbers, Toyota is expecting to take a 2 bilion dolar hit over this recall. This is not including expenses and sales losses over the Prius issue.

    With corporations, the battle between the bottom line and quality is never-ending and all too often, quality will be the loser of this battle. Just look at the decline of other auto manufacturers over the last few decades.

    I'm not sure if they are dragging their feet on it, but I wouldn't use the risk to their reputation as an argument to indicate that they aren't. It wouldn't be the fist time the bottom line caused a company to tank it's reputation, nor would it be the last.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #6
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Their sterling reputation is getting hit right now regardless considering the nature of the issues they are dealing with right now. The Prius' brake problems are potentially deadly.

    But looking at the numbers, Toyota is expecting to take a 2 bilion dolar hit over this recall. This is not including expenses and sales losses over the Prius issue.

    With corporations, the battle between the bottom line and quality is never-ending and all too often, quality will be the loser of this battle. Just look at the decline of other auto manufacturers over the last few decades.

    I'm not sure if they are dragging their feet on it, but I wouldn't use the risk to their reputation as an argument to indicate that they aren't. It wouldn't be the fist time the bottom line caused a company to tank it's reputation, nor would it be the last.
    After over 40 years of a solid reputation how can you lean toward the side of the bottomline argument? No benefit of the doubt for Toyota, they are just as likely to be crooked as the Big Three who've had decades of quality issues right?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Link


    Who thinks Toyota is today's climate would waste anytime in moving forward to correct a problem that would hurt its sterling reputation for quality and reliability? I don't think so. I did a search of NHTSA and could not find where the govt had been pushing Toyota since 2007 to fix this, nor could I find anything more than there was an instance regarding the floor mat issue, and the dealer could not duplicate it.
    I've been thinking that this is being made a huge deal about to help U.S. automakers. That has been my gut feeling on hearing the over-coverage of this story.

  8. #8
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    After over 40 years of a solid reputation how can you lean toward the side of the bottomline argument? No benefit of the doubt for Toyota, they are just as likely to be crooked as the Big Three who've had decades of quality issues right?
    This is no isolated incident. They've had a string of issues over the recent years, culminating in two concurrent recalls (both with a high potential for causing fatalities), their reputation deserves to come under scrutiny.

    These are more than just floor mats. They mistakenly attributed it to floor mats, but there was another fatal crash in a car that didn't even have the floormats in it (because the driver followed Toyota's advice from it's first recall of this issue and placed the floormats into the trunk, which is where the mats were found sometime after the dead bodies were removed from the car).

    On top of this, they've got brakes that don't work on the Prius. (thankfully the gas pedal problem doesn't seem to be an issue with the Prius or things could get really dicey).

    The ability to control a car is the #1 most important aspect of safety a car can have. Toyota has absolutely sucked in this department considering the nature of these two massively dangerous recalls.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #9
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    That being said, they voluntarily suspended sales and production on 8 models last week, which leads me to believe they aren't dragging their feet on the issue.

    I think they originally didn't diagnose the issue correctly. The fact that they suspended all production as well as sales, though, is a pretty good indicator that they are acknowledging the danger of the issue as well.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #10
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    This is no isolated incident. They've had a string of issues over the recent years, culminating in two concurrent recalls (both with a high potential for causing fatalities), their reputation deserves to come under scrutiny.

    These are more than just floor mats. They mistakenly attributed it to floor mats, but there was another fatal crash in a car that didn't even have the floormats in it (because the driver followed Toyota's advice from it's first recall of this issue and placed the floormats into the trunk, which is where the mats were found sometime after the dead bodies were removed from the car).

    On top of this, they've got brakes that don't work on the Prius. (thankfully the gas pedal problem doesn't seem to be an issue with the Prius or things could get really dicey).

    The ability to control a car is the #1 most important aspect of safety a car can have. Toyota has absolutely sucked in this department considering the nature of these two massively dangerous recalls.
    Their reputation doesn't need scrutiny, the problems do. The gas pedal issue and the floor mat issue are not one and the same according to Toyota. The govt isn't completely innocent in these investigations either (e.g., Audi 5000), but I'm not suggesting that here. There is not doubt in my mind that Toyota is addressing this post-haste. The fact that the govt is making extra hay about this is what people are suspicious of.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •