Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71

Thread: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

  1. #11
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    I drive an 09 Tacoma. I had carpet floor mats and removed them due to the fact that they were too nice to be ruined by my muddy feet. That problem is solved. My truck is not listed on the recall list. I have had problems with the radio volume control, which I talked about on another similar Toyota thread. That problem has also been solved by replacing the radio with a JVC model I personally installed. My dealer gives me free oil changes and inspections for the life of the vehicle and with a lifetime warranty on the engine. You can't beat that. After seeing the radio problems and with my 3rd radio on order with the same problems, I began to rethink the usual quality of Toyotas. Now this accelerator problem and the brakes have cropped up. By the time I get ready to buy another vehicle, usually in 14 years, Toyota should either have fixed these problems or be out of business.

  2. #12
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Their reputation doesn't need scrutiny, the problems do. The gas pedal issue and the floor mat issue are not one and the same according to Toyota. The govt isn't completely innocent in these investigations either (e.g., Audi 5000), but I'm not suggesting that here. There is not doubt in my mind that Toyota is addressing this post-haste. The fact that the govt is making extra hay about this is what people are suspicious of.
    why are you so defensive of a foreign company, american?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #13
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    why are you so defensive of a foreign company, american?
    If you want to accuse me of something why don't you say it in plain English?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #14
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Any manufactor that puts out a faulty / unsafe product needs to pull the product or fix the issue. That being said, with what is being reported it is not like every Toyota make identified is having stuck throttles everytime it is being driven. What is reported is a very small percentage. Same for the Prius brake issue. I agree the problem needs to be identified and fixed. Any death is to many. But, people die every day in vehicle crashes that had nothing to do with mechanical faults. The way the news is reporting it would would think every Toyota was a death trap each time you start the engine.

    I believe Toyota is dealing with the issue the best they can. Heck our 2003 Jeep Liberty has had ball joints recalled twice because of possible rust breakage issues. We never had a problem with the vehicle or any signs it was an issue. IMO, almost every newer vehicle is a "drive by wire" system. That is all manufactors are using computers to control the throttle. This switch was done to improve milage and cut emmissions. The system has been reliable, but like anything mechanical, breakdowns can happen.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    why are you so defensive of a foreign company, american?
    A foreign company that is a large source of American jobs you mean? People are jumping all over this as if it is a partisan issue, or a US vs Japanese car maker issue, and it is neither. It's a safety issue that is being worked on, and will hopefully be fixed soon.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #16
    Advisor gopman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-04-16 @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    556

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    It's a partisan issue because it's likely just another favor to the UAW.

    I owned a Chrysler that had about a dozen recalls and I don't hear Obama officials whining about that.
    If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand.
    - Milton Friedman

  7. #17
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    If you want to accuse me of something why don't you say it in plain English?
    i asked a question. i accused you of nothing.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  8. #18
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    A foreign company that is a large source of American jobs you mean? People are jumping all over this as if it is a partisan issue, or a US vs Japanese car maker issue, and it is neither. It's a safety issue that is being worked on, and will hopefully be fixed soon.
    i agree, i'm calling into question WHY he feels obama is "picking on" toyota. it's a not so indirect slam at american automakers, who are now turning out great cars.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #19
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by gopman View Post
    It's a partisan issue because it's likely just another favor to the UAW.

    I owned a Chrysler that had about a dozen recalls and I don't hear Obama officials whining about that.
    I don't think it is a favor to the UAW, I think some one just shot his mouth off without thinking. It really does not benefit the US carmakers, since this will have a minor effect on car sales.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #20
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is US bullying Toyota on recall?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Their reputation doesn't need scrutiny, the problems do. The gas pedal issue and the floor mat issue are not one and the same according to Toyota. The govt isn't completely innocent in these investigations either (e.g., Audi 5000), but I'm not suggesting that here. There is not doubt in my mind that Toyota is addressing this post-haste. The fact that the govt is making extra hay about this is what people are suspicious of.
    There is an argument that this should have been figured out sooner. This is the third recall on the same issue, and now they finally claim they've got it figured out (time will tell, of course). Their reputation for safety is going to take a major hit in this situation, regardless.

    When coupled with the problems with the Prius, it looks like the hit is deserved. These are two big safety issues. The reliability stuff is secondary. If this was a single safety issue, I'd give the benefit of the doubt, but it's two separate and distinct safety issues neither one of them minor in nature. These are design flaws in two separate areas related to massively important aspects of their cars.

    Somewhere along the line, they are dropping multiple balls on safety.

    Thus, they absolutely deserve to take a hit in their reputation on safety. These problems are due to failures in design. For the Prius, the design flaw is software, for the accelerator pedal it's mechanical.

    Then, couple in repeated failures to figure out what was going wrong, and you've got a serious safety concern.

    On top of that, I would argue that of the "big three", Ford has the best chance of capitalizing in today's market. Judging by the numbers, they have gained the most from it actually. Also, look at the number of Awards Ford has been winning lately. N.A. Car and Truck of the year. 2010 Motor Trend Car of the year, 2009 Motor trend Truck of the year.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •