“We must picture hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives with the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters
Myself, I would heed the wise council of my generals and officers in the field.
I know some politicians have caught heat for not doing so in the past.
Regardless of what I think, or anyone else for that matter, the priority, as I see it, is to maintain an efficient military and our national security. Politics and opinions and political correctness be damned.
The last I heard, the military big-wigs have said that today's military is far more tolerant towards gays than the miltary of the past.
I totally see where Navy is coming from in regard to the old school sailors, soldiers, marines, etc. There are many older "lifers" that I am certain take objection to gays serving openly. I am certain they will take exception to the change and quite possibly resign, retire or out right quit. We can only speculate.
Regardless of their piss-poor attitude towards change and the restricting of gays to openly serve, their experience and value to our military cannot be over-looked. One has to take that into consideration as it directly affects national security.
But, on the other hand, a more progressive approach towards this issue might be attractive to an equal percentage of prospective men and women willing to serve in uniform. It might take years to gain the valuable experience to replace those experienced military people, who adamently opposes the gay plight, but in time it will become a non-issue. Again, we can only speculate. The question is, with two wars going on, is this the time to chance losing these experienced military people?
I know of no factual statistics that either deny or validate the notion that if gays are allowed to openly serve, military personnel will quit in droves. If anyone has anything other than an opinion, I would very much be interested in their evidence.
Such decisions are far above my pay grade. I will put my faith in our commanders. And they say to tear down the gay wall.
Whether I like it or not is irrevelant.
Last edited by Captain America; 02-16-10 at 12:56 PM.
It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.
You need to check this out Cap.
Center for Military Readiness | Homosexuals in the Military
Results of the survey did not make news until July 2009. Washington Times Base News Editor Grace Vuoto reported that the MOAA survey revealed strong support for current policy (16%) or an even stronger law excluding homosexuals from the military (52%). The same combined percentage, 68%, expressed the belief that repeal of the 1993 law would have a very negative effect (48%) or a moderately negative effect (20%) on troop morale and military readiness.
Contrary to stereotypes about the views of younger men and women, the MOAA survey of 1,664 respondents included a significant number of younger, active-duty or drilling reserve/guard personnel who were largely tolerant of homosexuality in other situations.
"God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."
There are basically two situations where I'd pick up a gun of my own volition; an invasion of the US and a WWII-esq situation where you have a clearly defined threat. In either case, you aren't going to NEED to draft me.
What I do not want to take part in is the US strategy since Vietnam which amounts to basically running in, stomping all over a developing country, then run out declaring themselves the winners.
I notice you avoided actually addressing the points that I made; that often the people who advocate for the draft are people who dont have to go and the people who WILL have to go often have no say in if they go or not. This is something I find somewhat disturbing; in a free country I can simply have my life thrown away by someone for a cause I may not agree with or even understand with no say whatsoever in it.
I think the Samurai had many admirable ideas, some of which I apply to my own life, but the idea of unquestioning loyalty was one that's always gone over my head.
Plus I think they may frown on me rolling around on the front of a tank with an axe on my shoulder and Tyr playing from speakers on the tank calling out the other side's champion
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu2bgwcv43o"]YouTube- TĂťR - Hold The Heathen Hammer High (Official)[/ame]
Last edited by Hoplite; 02-16-10 at 01:11 PM.
See my last post