Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 77

Thread: Protesting the Westboro Baptist Church in San Francisco

  1. #51
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Protesting the Westboro Baptist Church in San Francisco

    "The ONLY bad part about that is.. while the sickos had a "right" to be across the street shouting obscenities, everyone else did NOT have the right to beat their asses.. which IMO, is what they deserved in the very least. Unfortunately, it would have been the decent people who would have gotten arrested and charged.. and that is screwed up, IMHO." - TheGirlNextDoor

    I read a rather in-depth article some years ago regarding Fred Phelps and this group of "people". It seems that when their outrageous behavior results in some retaliation against them--regardless of how understandable or righteous that retaliation may be...they sue.

    This seems to be how they are able to support themselves by suing everyone they come into contact with. Fred Phelps was a practicing lawyer until he was stripped of his liceanse to practice for litigation abuses (I think that was it...it's been several years since I read the article and my memory ain't what it used to be). Today, his kids are lawyers and do all of the suing for him and their "church".
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  2. #52
    Comrade from Canuckistan! AgentM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    British Columbia
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    995

    Re: Protesting the Westboro Baptist Church in San Francisco

    Non-violent "punking" is the best way to deal with these freaks! Just make them look even more foolish, and mock them, maybe eventually they'll get the message and give up. If people start riots, then they are just playing into the hands of this insidious cult of nutjob Nazi wannabes. Maybe some enterprising lawyers could set up a non-profit organization to counter the lawsuits emanating from the Phelps clan.
    "When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. I say enjoy the show, don't take it seriously." - George Carlin

  3. #53
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Protesting the Westboro Baptist Church in San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    "The ONLY bad part about that is.. while the sickos had a "right" to be across the street shouting obscenities, everyone else did NOT have the right to beat their asses.. which IMO, is what they deserved in the very least. Unfortunately, it would have been the decent people who would have gotten arrested and charged.. and that is screwed up, IMHO." - TheGirlNextDoor

    I read a rather in-depth article some years ago regarding Fred Phelps and this group of "people". It seems that when their outrageous behavior results in some retaliation against them--regardless of how understandable or righteous that retaliation may be...they sue.

    This seems to be how they are able to support themselves by suing everyone they come into contact with. Fred Phelps was a practicing lawyer until he was stripped of his liceanse to practice for litigation abuses (I think that was it...it's been several years since I read the article and my memory ain't what it used to be). Today, his kids are lawyers and do all of the suing for him and their "church".
    If that's the case, that they sue for profit, then that would be easy to fix, countersue for slander, libel, harrassment(everyone who suffered at a funeral protest and is a non-public figure can), emotional distress, pain and suffering.
    The Phelps clan could easily be sued into oblivion and I don't think a jury in the U.S. would pass up the chance to be the one's to do it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #54
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,084

    Re: Protesting the Westboro Baptist Church in San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    If that's the case, that they sue for profit, then that would be easy to fix, countersue for slander, libel, harrassment(everyone who suffered at a funeral protest and is a non-public figure can), emotional distress, pain and suffering.
    The Phelps clan could easily be sued into oblivion and I don't think a jury in the U.S. would pass up the chance to be the one's to do it.
    I really doubt that. I've done enough research on them and they are basically a family of lawyers who were beating state of Kansas in courts long before most of us on the forum were born. Do a little research on Fred Phelps, the guy was a legal savage. Going to court and fighting for the legal rights of blacks in his state in a time where people were being lynched for a lot less.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #55
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Protesting the Westboro Baptist Church in San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I really doubt that. I've done enough research on them and they are basically a family of lawyers who were beating state of Kansas in courts long before most of us on the forum were born. Do a little research on Fred Phelps, the guy was a legal savage. Going to court and fighting for the legal rights of blacks in his state in a time where people were being lynched for a lot less.
    Yeah, I figured the guy had some decent legal skills if he was pulling crap against a legally conservative state, I commend his actions fighting for blacks and civil rights, but this guy is trading one past good for a bunch of very bad, not excusable in my book.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #56
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Protesting the Westboro Baptist Church in San Francisco

    "If that's the case, that they sue for profit, then that would be easy to fix, countersue for slander, libel, harrassment(everyone who suffered at a funeral protest and is a non-public figure can), emotional distress, pain and suffering." - LaMidRighter

    I'm with ya but there's that whole "freedom of speech" thing...

    Remember, their lawyers...they walk a very fine line.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  7. #57
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Protesting the Westboro Baptist Church in San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I really doubt that. I've done enough research on them and they are basically a family of lawyers who were beating state of Kansas in courts long before most of us on the forum were born. Do a little research on Fred Phelps, the guy was a legal savage. Going to court and fighting for the legal rights of blacks in his state in a time where people were being lynched for a lot less.
    I normally don't wish ill on anyone. However, the world will be a better place when the Phelps clan is dead and buried.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  8. #58
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Protesting the Westboro Baptist Church in San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron;1058534116
    I'm with ya but there's that [I
    whole[/I] "freedom of speech" thing...

    Remember, their lawyers...they walk a very fine line.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    I know where you're coming from, but it's been set by legal precedent that not all speech is protected, that which harasses, incites to violence, obscene, etc. A good civil lawyer could really give the Phelps cult a headache.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #59
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Protesting the Westboro Baptist Church in San Francisco

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I know where you're coming from, but it's been set by legal precedent that not all speech is protected, that which harasses, incites to violence, obscene, etc. A good civil lawyer could really give the Phelps cult a headache.
    There's a precedent against obscenity?
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Protesting the Westboro Baptist Church in San Francisco

    I'm glad to see them called a clan or a cult. This is just a family, not even as big as the Duggars, They don't have followers.

    Oh dear! with all those kids! "Jedidiah brings home a boyfriend" on this weeks Duggars, 26 kids and counting.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •