Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 199

Thread: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

  1. #71
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,735

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by gopman View Post
    I don't think it's a non-event. If the president thinks it's OK to try to influence the Supreme Court through embarassment and intimidation on national television, then that's a pretty good reason why he shouldn't be president anymore.

    But then, I already knew he shouldn't be president anymore, so maybe in that sense it is a non-event.

    Hopefully it changes some other people's minds though.
    Of course, it is a non-event. Make no mistake - Obama loves America just as much as Alito does. Alito loves America just as much as Obama does. However, each's philosophy is different, and each has an honest disagreement with the other. Both positions, Obama's and Alito's are honest and valid positions, in respect to the Constitution. I disagree with Obama's position, and believe Alito is correct. However, I am not going to bash Obama over such nonsense.

    If the shoe was on the other foot, that is, if it was a Republican president making a statement saying a decision to uphold that law is wrong, and if a Liberal justice, who had cast a vote to uphold that law had said "Not true", you would be calling for the impeachment of the Supreme Court justice. That is the way hyperpartisan political hackery works.
    Last edited by danarhea; 01-28-10 at 12:22 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #72
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by gopman View Post
    I don't think it's a non-event. If the president thinks it's OK to try to influence the Supreme Court through embarassment and intimidation on national television, then that's a pretty good reason why he shouldn't be president anymore.

    But then, I already knew he shouldn't be president anymore, so maybe in that sense it is a non-event.

    Hopefully it changes some other people's minds though.
    Excellent point! This whole discussion shows that the left is embarrassed by seeing their boy called out and, as usual, try to blame the messenger. Joe Wilson spoke truth to power, Alito whispered truth to himself -- truth tellers are not welcome in the company of the left.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  3. #73
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    Excellent point! This whole discussion shows that the left is embarrassed by seeing their boy called out and, as usual, try to blame the messenger. Joe Wilson spoke truth to power, Alito whispered truth to himself -- truth tellers are not welcome in the company of the left.
    "boy"?

    ....
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  4. #74
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    "boy"?

    ....
    If you are reacting the way I think you are. I think you are reading too much into it. "Their boy" is a common colloquialism.

  5. #75
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,548

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I don't have a problem with a member of Congress doing it, as they wear their political beliefs on their sleeves. I have a problem when someone who is supposed to be impartial shows a lack of it in this manner.
    How was it not "impartial"? Alito didn't make a political statement. Obama outright misrepresented what the Court decided. That's a factual matter, not one of opinion. The Court specifically, overtly, in plain language, did NOT address the matter of foreign influence. Obama should have known that, probably did know what, yet he said the Court made it OK. That's either a lie or a reckless disregard of the truth.

    Alito wasn't arguing with him on policy or on opinion. He was reacting to a bald-face misrepresentation of verifiable fact.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #76
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    It shows he has no control over his emotions. Oh, and the camera is rolling.
    Kinda like a commander in chief that throws a fit everytime he doesn't get his way, or says that a Supreme Court decision that was based on "shall not be infringed" was wrong because there will be a competition now involving money not friendly to his party. Or that nice little bitch session he had on a radio show pre-presidency complaining about the constitutional framework not allowing him to exercise his visions for United States domination. That kind of lack of control?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #77
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    How was it not "impartial"? Alito didn't make a political statement. Obama outright misrepresented what the Court decided. That's a factual matter, not one of opinion. The Court specifically, overtly, in plain language, did NOT address the matter of foreign influence. Obama should have known that, probably did know what, yet he said the Court made it OK. That's either a lie or a reckless disregard of the truth.

    Alito wasn't arguing with him on policy or on opinion. He was reacting to a bald-face misrepresentation of verifiable fact.
    They did make it ok by implication. By not addressing it, they allowed multinational corporations to buy airtime in support of their chosen issue or candidate. Any company that has public stock has at least one share that is owned by someone who isn't a citizen, its unavoidable.

  8. #78
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,548

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    They did make it ok by implication. By not addressing it, they allowed multinational corporations to buy airtime in support of their chosen issue or candidate. Any company that has public stock has at least one share that is owned by someone who isn't a citizen, its unavoidable.
    No, they did not. They specifically, overtly carved out an area that Congress may still regulate in light of their decision.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #79
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Oh spare me Redress, you know whom those words were aimed at and why. If it doesn't apply to you, ignore it. Sheesh you've got thin skin this morning.
    I would take you to town over this, but Zyphlin already did, and you made up for it with the shoe comment which had me laughing. You are batting 1 for 3 this morning, which is a star player in baseball.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #80
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Yes. You have made an accurate assessment. If this was a speech provided by the Supreme Court and Alito was speaking and Obama was in the audience, I would be disgusted with Obama as well. I stand by my assertion that this is not the venue for a Supreme Court Justice to disagree with the President.
    Why shackle the Supreme Court like that? Members of Congress routinely shows their displeasure at presidential comments during the SOTU by sitting with their arms folded or shaking their heads at things with which they disagree, and I don't see this as any different. I don't see why the Supreme Court should be held to a different standard.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •