Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 199

Thread: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

  1. #21
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    It looks like both sides broke decorum to me.
    How is saying that you disagree with a ruling breaking decorum?

  2. #22
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Its not the disagreement. It is the medium used and the tone. It shows a lack of manners at a formal political event.

    However, really this is one of those things that is relatively minor anyway. What is important here is that we all know where the various politicians and judges stand on the issue and we can see what actions will be taken.

  3. #23
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Its not the disagreement. It is the medium used and the tone. It shows a lack of manners at a formal political event.

    However, really this is one of those things that is relatively minor anyway. What is important here is that we all know where the various politicians and judges stand on the issue and we can see what actions will be taken.
    With all due deference to separation of powers, last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law that I believe will open the floodgates for special interests, including foreign corporations, to spend without limit in our elections.

    (APPLAUSE)

    I don't think American elections should be bankrolled by America's most powerful interests or, worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people. And I urge Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps correct some of these problems.

    Transcript: Obama's first State of the Union speech - CNN.com
    Yeah, Obama just sounds terribly rude.

    It's hard for me NOT to hold others to my own standards. No matter how much I disagree with what someone is saying, I don't nod "no" or make any sort of gesture (rolling eyes, sighing) because I think that's the classy thing to do. If someone is being a jerk while expressing his/her opinion, then their own words will make them look that way. My nodding no only brings me down to their level.

  4. #24
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Aps, I think the world of you, but what Alito did was not wrong. If he had been loud enough to be heard, you would have a point, but he did not, in any way, interrupt or distract from the proceeding. Whispering something to some one seated next to him is not inappropriate.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #25
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Again, it was a minor faux pas. Of course it is going to be treated by the media and other partisan parties as if Obama ran up to Alito in the middle of the speech and spit on him or gave him a bitch-slap rather than what it actually is.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 01-28-10 at 09:41 AM.

  6. #26
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Yes. You have made an accurate assessment. If this was a speech provided by the Supreme Court and Alito was speaking and Obama was in the audience, I would be disgusted with Obama as well. I stand by my assertion that this is not the venue for a Supreme Court Justice to disagree with the President.
    Its also not the venue to blatantly lie about a Supreme Court Ruling to criticize it either, an action not done since Gerald Ford apparently.

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Yeah, Obama just sounds terribly rude.
    If I flat out lie about what you did I think you'd call it "rude" even if I said it very sweetly.

    From reports it seems what Obama done is something that has not occured in over 30 years, and that's taking a shot at a Supreme Court ruling in the SOTU. That's essentially a break of decorum, doubly so when it appears after a fact check that Obama's statement was completely false

  7. #27
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Oh brother. That's a really mature response there.
    LOL

    And freaking out about what someone says to theirself is mature?
    I'm not the President so I'm not held to any type of standard. But my view still stands - people are making a big deal out of nothing.
    The President is not some type of Czar or King, as is evident by our country's defined lack of organized broohah over the presidency.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #28
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Its also not the venue to blatantly lie about a Supreme Court Ruling to criticize it either, an action not done since Gerald Ford apparently.



    If I flat out lie about what you did I think you'd call it "rude" even if I said it very sweetly.

    From reports it seems what Obama done is something that has not occured in over 30 years, and that's taking a shot at a Supreme Court ruling in the STOU. That's essentially a break of decorum, doubly so when it appears after a fact check that Obama's statement was completely false
    It was not a flat out lie as you characterize it.

    washingtonpost.com

    The court did upend a 100-year trend that had imposed greater limitations on corporate political activity. Specifically, the court, in a 5-4 decision, said corporations and unions could spend freely from their treasuries to run political ads for or against specific candidates.
    The supreme court did overturn a 100 year old ruling. Whether or not it will harm our democracy is a matter of opinion, not fact.

    They may not directly spend on a candidate, but they can now pretty much do want they want for or against a candidate, which pretty much amounts to the same thing.

  9. #29
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Justice Alito mouths 'not true' - POLITICO Live - POLITICO.com


    Obama yacks about bipartisanship and then hurls a beanball at the Supreme Court. He speaks out of every side of every orifice this twit.
    Yes, because bipartisanship means agreeing with the other party.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Justice Alito mouths 'not true'

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    It was not a flat out lie as you characterize it.

    washingtonpost.com

    The supreme court did overturn a 100 year old ruling. Whether or not it will harm our democracy is a matter of opinion, not fact.

    They may not directly spend on a candidate, but they can now pretty much do want they want for or against a candidate, which pretty much amounts to the same thing.
    What Obama said:

    I don't think American elections should be bankrolled by America's most powerful interests or, worse, by foreign entities.
    That is an outright lie, that the constitutional scholar Obama should konw. Corporations can not "bank roll" elections for individuals. The ruling over turned a facet of the law prohibiting corporations from running advertisements with money from their general funds rather than from a PAC. What is DOESN'T overturn is a different part of the law that keeps corporations from directly financing a campaign.

    America's "most powerful interests" can not "bank roll" any election, not based simply on this ruling. Its ludicrous and flat out misrepresentation that I can not fathom such a "Incredibly intelligent" constitutional laywer like Obama did not realize.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •