Page 59 of 89 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 885

Thread: Obama State of the Union

  1. #581
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Nice spin, Obama couldn't hold his own party but the party with 40 votes saying now isn't any difference to what happened in 2007-2008 when Bush was in the WH and the Democrats were the party of no. How quickly you forget.
    They gave bush his dirty little war. Weapons of Mass Destruction

  2. #582
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    They gave bush his dirty little war. Weapons of Mass Destruction
    Good, now we are getting somewhere, Yes, Democrats voted overwhelmingly for the war having exactly the same intelligence as Bush had plus the knowledge that Saddam Hussein had violated very UN resolution which led to the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998.

  3. #583
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You posted the chart, read it again. It stops at the 110th Congress which had a huge spike and covers the years 2007-2008 when Bush was in office. The question is who filibustered in 2007-2008 and why wasn't that an issue for you?

    Then you go to 2009, a time when the Republicans didn't have enough votes to filibuster anything, yet for some reason they are the ones you claimed blocked Obama with unprecedented filibusters. Republicans couldn't stop anything but the Democrats and Republicans together in a bipartisan way created the numbers you are so concerned about.
    You'll have to take that up with the Washington Monthly
    where they state:
    "Likewise, the public also doesn't realize that abuse has gotten completely out of control -- from 1949 to 1970, there were 30 cloture votes. In just 2009, there were 39."

    Or, provide evidence their numbers are wrong.


    They say there were By the way what legislation did they block that concerns you?
    Block is your term, I said filibuster. Perhaps we need to review the definition of filibuster, because I think we are talking oranges and apples here ~

    "A filibuster, or "speaking or talking out a bill", is a form of obstruction in a legislature or other decision-making body whereby one attempts to delay or entirely prevent a vote on a proposal by extending a debate on that proposal. A popular saying is "filibuster it to death!"
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibuster]Filibuster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

    Here are some that I thought were most critical ~

    The Stimulus bill, Health Care Reform, energy bill to extend incentives for wind and solar and reduce some tax breaks for oil companies, and blocking a routine nomination to the National Labor Relations Board at a time of high unemployment.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #584
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    [quote]Catawba;1058564281]
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    You'll have to take that up with the Washington Monthly
    where they state:
    "Likewise, the public also doesn't realize that abuse has gotten completely out of control -- from 1949 to 1970, there were 30 cloture votes. In just 2009, there were 39."

    Or, provide evidence their numbers are wrong.
    Who says they are wrong? What I am saying but you are ignoring is the FACT that the Republicans didn't have the votes to prevent cloture without Democrat support.

    What I am also saying and you are ignoring is the chart you posted stops at 2008 and includes only the 2007-2008 Congress which was controlled by the Democrats with a Republican in the WH. Notice the large spike in that chart? Why would Republicans block legislation with a Republican President who could veto the legislation? What I believe happened was the Democrats blocked GOP legislation to keep Bush from signing it. Seems you don't have a problem with that happening.

    Block is your term, I said filibuster. Perhaps we need to review the definition of filibuster, because I think we are talking oranges and apples here

    "A filibuster, or "speaking or talking out a bill", is a form of obstruction in a legislature or other decision-making body whereby one attempts to delay or entirely prevent a vote on a proposal by extending a debate on that proposal. A popular saying is "filibuster it to death!"
    Filibuster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia~
    A filibuster does block legislation from being brought to a vote thus it is blocked.

    Here are some that I thought were most critical ~

    The Stimulus bill, Health Care Reform, energy bill to extend incentives for wind and solar and reduce some tax breaks for oil companies, and blocking a routine nomination to the National Labor Relations Board at a time of high unemployment.
    Again the Stimulus bill became law in January 2009 and has done nothing to create jobs as we are still losing jobs. The focus was on spending for pet Democrat constituent groups and growing the size of govt. not helping the private sector.

    The Healthcare bill passed in the House and then the Senate on Christmas Eve so who filibustered those bills? Looks to me like you are confused about this entire issue and your problem is with the Democratic Party.

  5. #585
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    My mistake ,i didn't realize you were this eh,er,challenged; go back and read what i posted,perhaps you can get up to speed on what the thread is about.Just maybe with some luck,and if the stars are aligned just right you will succeed this time.
    Nice dodge

  6. #586
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I don't ignore it, I note that it is dwarfed by the number of Republican filibusters.




    Show me your evidence the chart is wrong.
    You avoid the point the precedent started under Bush by democrats.

    You also do not understand that the GOP can not filibuster Obama with 40 votes.

  7. #587
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    What difference does it make who set the precedent? You don;'t know history too well, I think.

    "The term filibuster was first used in 1851. It was derived from the Spanish filibustero meaning pirate or freebooter. This term had evolved from the French word flibustier, which itself evolved from the Dutch vrijbuiter (freebooter). This term was applied at the time to American adventurers, mostly from Southern states, who sought to overthrow the governments of Central American states, and was transferred to the users of the filibuster, seen as a tactic for pirating or hijacking debate.[1]"
    Democrats set the precedent of filibustering everything. That was the first for filibustering judges.

    Deny it if you want but the democrats are reaping what they sowed.

  8. #588
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    We seem to be stuck on repeat here. I've already provided the number of filibusters in 2009 ~

    "Likewise, the public also doesn't realize that abuse has gotten completely out of control -- from 1949 to 1970, there were 30 cloture votes. In just 2009, there were 39."

    The Washington Monthly
    In 2009 when the democrats were filibuster proof. Your point makes no sense.

  9. #589
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    In 2009 when the democrats were filibuster proof. Your point makes no sense.
    I don't get it either. Doesn't make any sense to post a chart that shows filibusters highest in 2008 when Bush was in the WH, not Obama and when the Democrats controlled Congress and weren't going to give Bush anything thus it was Democrats that prevented the Republicans from getting any legislation to Bush for signature. Democrats were more concerned about regaining the WH than they were doing their job in working for the American taxpayers.

    As for 2009, again the argument makes no sense since Republicans couldn't stop any legislation. That doesn't stop the Democrats from making the claim though which apparently some here are buying as they ignore the actual facts. Republicans with 40 votes couldn't stop anything so this whole argument is ridiculous and the facts destroy the claim that Republicans are stopping the Obama agenda. It is the Democrats that are tired of the leftwing loons trying to shift this center right country to the far left.

  10. #590
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Nice spin,


    Hardly spin.


    Obama couldn't hold his own party but the party with 40 votes saying now isn't any difference to what happened in 2007-2008 when Bush was in the WH and the Democrats were the party of no. How quickly you forget.
    Whats this babbling about 2007-2008 have to do with anything that we are discussing?
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

Page 59 of 89 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •