Page 58 of 89 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 885

Thread: Obama State of the Union

  1. #571
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    The first big amount is democrats filibustering Bush which you ignore.
    I don't ignore it, I note that it is dwarfed by the number of Republican filibusters.

    The chart is wrong since the GOP does not have enough votes to filibuster.

    Show me your evidence the chart is wrong.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #572
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I don't ignore it, I note that it is dwarfed by the number of Republican filibusters.




    Show me your evidence the chart is wrong.

    He needs to sober up before he post.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  3. #573
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    I was responding to this it didnt say anything about a filibuster.
    There was nothing blocked by the Republicans, they didn't have the votes.

  4. #574
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I don't ignore it, I note that it is dwarfed by the number of Republican filibusters.




    Show me your evidence the chart is wrong.
    The evidence is that Obama wasn't in office in 2007-08 thus there is no way the GOP Could have made your statement true

    Also Obama has had the handicap of being blocked by an unprecedented number of filibusters by the Republicans
    What am I missing here, you posted the chart that went to 2008 then blamed the Republicans for unprecedented number of filibusters in a year when Bush was in the WH.

    Then in 2009 Obama had a filibuster proof Senate therefore again your statement is invalid so not sure what your point is. Obama cannot even sell his own Party.

  5. #575
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Seems to me that the healthcare bill that came out of the Senate was written by three republicans, as well as three democrats,(the gang of six they were calle) when it came to the final vote not a single republican vote.
    Donc, the chart posted goes through the 110th Congress which was 2007-2008 thus during a period when Bush was in the WH. There is no evidence presented that it was the GOP doing the filibustering since the President can request legislation and the Democrats stop it.

    As for 2009 when Specter switched to the Democrat Party that gave Democrats a filibuster proof Senate thus the Republicans couldn't stop any Obama legislation and that was the point I was making.

    The chart posted and then the comments don't reconsile.

  6. #576
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Catawba You chart shows it took off as of 1996-2006 that was under Bush. democrats were filibustering even judges. They set the precedent
    What difference does it make who set the precedent? You don;'t know history too well, I think.

    "The term filibuster was first used in 1851. It was derived from the Spanish filibustero meaning pirate or freebooter. This term had evolved from the French word flibustier, which itself evolved from the Dutch vrijbuiter (freebooter). This term was applied at the time to American adventurers, mostly from Southern states, who sought to overthrow the governments of Central American states, and was transferred to the users of the filibuster, seen as a tactic for pirating or hijacking debate.[1]"

  7. #577
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The evidence is that Obama wasn't in office in 2007-08 thus there is no way the GOP Could have made your statement true



    What am I missing here, you posted the chart that went to 2008 then blamed the Republicans for unprecedented number of filibusters in a year when Bush was in the WH.

    Then in 2009 Obama had a filibuster proof Senate therefore again your statement is invalid so not sure what your point is. Obama cannot even sell his own Party.
    We seem to be stuck on repeat here. I've already provided the number of filibusters in 2009 ~

    "Likewise, the public also doesn't realize that abuse has gotten completely out of control -- from 1949 to 1970, there were 30 cloture votes. In just 2009, there were 39."

    The Washington Monthly
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #578
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    There was nothing blocked by the Republicans, they didn't have the votes.
    The Republican stalling tactics worked,therefore it was blocked,no need for a filibuster.The party of NO succeeded in blocking the bill without the need of a filibuster.
    Last edited by Donc; 02-15-10 at 02:33 PM.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  9. #579
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    We seem to be stuck on repeat here. I've already provided the number of filibusters in 2009 ~

    "Likewise, the public also doesn't realize that abuse has gotten completely out of control -- from 1949 to 1970, there were 30 cloture votes. In just 2009, there were 39."

    The Washington Monthly
    You posted the chart, read it again. It stops at the 110th Congress which had a huge spike and covers the years 2007-2008 when Bush was in office. The question is who filibustered in 2007-2008 and why wasn't that an issue for you?

    Then you go to 2009, a time when the Republicans didn't have enough votes to filibuster anything, yet for some reason they are the ones you claimed blocked Obama with unprecedented filibusters. Republicans couldn't stop anything but the Democrats and Republicans together in a bipartisan way created the numbers you are so concerned about. By the way what legislation did they block that concerns you?

  10. #580
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    The Republican stalling tactics worked,therefore it was blocked,no need for a filibuster.The party of NO succeeded in blocking the bill without the need of a filibuster.
    Nice spin, Obama couldn't hold his own party but the party with 40 votes saying now isn't any difference to what happened in 2007-2008 when Bush was in the WH and the Democrats were the party of no. How quickly you forget.

Page 58 of 89 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •