Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 885

Thread: Obama State of the Union

  1. #531
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,273

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Insults noted in bold above.

    "research by Congressional scholar Barbara Sinclair of UCLA on the fact that we are confronting something very new:

    In the 1960s, she finds, “extended-debate-related problems” — threatened or actual filibusters — affected only 8 percent of major legislation. By the 1980s, that had risen to 27 percent. But after Democrats retook control of Congress in 2006 and Republicans found themselves in the minority, it soared to 70 percent."

    PostPartisan - Not your father's filibuster (or your mother's)



    The filibuster: let's talk about it - James Fallows
    This is your post that I was responding to

    Every politician I've ever known has said things in their campaign they didn't carry out in office. Also Obama has had the handicap of being blocked by an unprecedented number of filibusters by the Republicans.
    and then you answer with this post?

    110th Congress? Hmmmm, 2007-2008, what does any of this have to do with Obama legislation? Who was in the WH in 2007-2008?

    Do you understand what a filibuster proof Senate is? Obama took office with 60 Democrat and "independent" Senators meaning it had a super majority. The Republicans couldn't stop any Obama legislation yet you claimed he had a handicap of being blocked by an unprecedented number of filibusters. Excuse me for the insults but that statement is totally over the top.

  2. #532
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    When you can learn to post without insults, I'll continue our discussions. Until then.....
    Just report him. Conservative makes enough rules violations weekly that in no time he'll get banned.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #533
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Do you understand what a filibuster proof Senate is?
    One must question if you do.

    Obama took office with 60 Democrat and "independent" Senators meaning it had a super majority.
    I wasn't aware that Democrats were a monolithic block that thought as a single entity and didn't have their own respective interests based on their respective states' voters interests.

    By the way, since you think that Democrats are a monolithic entity, why did many Republicans betray Bush on ending the filibuster when they could have?

    Perhaps, oh maybe, because groups aren't single minded monolithic entities you make them out to be?

    The Republicans couldn't stop any Obama legislation
    O'rly? History appears to say you are wrong (as usual, by the way, still haven't figured out what linear regression is have you?).

    yet you claimed he had a handicap of being blocked by an unprecedented number of filibusters. Excuse me for the insults but that statement is totally over the top.
    "We have crossed the mark of over 100 filibusters and acts of procedural obstruction in less than one year," Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, Democrat of Rhode Island, said on the floor on December 20, 2009. "Never since the founding of the Republic, not even in the bitter sentiments preceding Civil War, was such a thing ever seen in this body."
    Conservative, here's your ticket to the fail train.

    You rely upon insults because you have no other way of arguing other then outright lying about what others said. Case in point, you falsely claiming I said Beck lost money for Fox directly after I pointed out where I said Fox's bottom line did not change.

    You cannot argue without lies and insults.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #534
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,273

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Just report him. Conservative makes enough rules violations weekly that in no time he'll get banned.
    That is what you would do which suits your screen name.

  5. #535
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,273

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    One must question if you do.



    I wasn't aware that Democrats were a monolithic block that thought as a single entity and didn't have their own respective interests based on their respective states' voters interests.

    By the way, since you think that Democrats are a monolithic entity, why did many Republicans betray Bush on ending the filibuster when they could have?

    Perhaps, oh maybe, because groups aren't single minded monolithic entities you make them out to be?



    O'rly? History appears to say you are wrong (as usual, by the way, still haven't figured out what linear regression is have you?).





    Conservative, here's your ticket to the fail train.

    You rely upon insults because you have no other way of arguing other then outright lying about what others said. Case in point, you falsely claiming I said Beck lost money for Fox directly after I pointed out where I said Fox's bottom line did not change.

    You cannot argue without lies and insults.
    Why would anyone waste their time with you? Facts, logic, and common sense obviously confuse you. Don't use big words like "lies" that you don't understand.

    Here is the quote that I am waiting for a response to.

    Also Obama has had the handicap of being blocked by an unprecedented number of filibusters by the Republicans.
    I am waiting for a list of the legislation of Obama that has been blocked by an "unprecedented" number of filibusters by the Republicans?
    Last edited by Conservative; 02-14-10 at 06:07 PM.

  6. #536
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Why would anyone waste their time with you? Facts, logic, and common sense obviously confuse you. Don't use big words like "lies" that you don't understand.
    Coming from someone who claimed I said Beck lost Fox money DIRECTLY AFTER I said Fox's bottom line didn't change....

    Sounds like a lie to me.

    I see you're ignoring this because it's easier for you to pretend things that prove you wrong (which are vast and many) don't exist:

    ""We have crossed the mark of over 100 filibusters and acts of procedural obstruction in less than one year," Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, Democrat of Rhode Island, said on the floor on December 20, 2009. "Never since the founding of the Republic, not even in the bitter sentiments preceding Civil War, was such a thing ever seen in this body.""

    Sounds like you are wrong. Again. But that's not really news to this forum.

    I am waiting for a list of the legislation of Obama that has been blocked by an "unprecedented" number of filibusters by the Republicans?
    Do you think that Filibusters haven't increased in 2009? Let's see you go on record making such a statement. I'd like to have your position as clear as possible before I beat you over the head about just how wrong you are. And I'd like to use it elsewhere when you eventually flee from this thread as you will.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #537
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,273

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Coming from someone who claimed I said Beck lost Fox money DIRECTLY AFTER I said Fox's bottom line didn't change....

    Sounds like a lie to me.

    I see you're ignoring this because it's easier for you to pretend things that prove you wrong (which are vast and many) don't exist:

    ""We have crossed the mark of over 100 filibusters and acts of procedural obstruction in less than one year," Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, Democrat of Rhode Island, said on the floor on December 20, 2009. "Never since the founding of the Republic, not even in the bitter sentiments preceding Civil War, was such a thing ever seen in this body.""

    Sounds like you are wrong. Again. But that's not really news to this forum.



    Do you think that Filibusters haven't increased in 2009? Let's see you go on record making such a statement. I'd like to have your position as clear as possible before I beat you over the head about just how wrong you are. And I'd like to use it elsewhere when you eventually flee from this thread as you will.
    Democrats had a 60 vote margin. If there was any filibuster Obama couldn't hold his own party and they would have had to join in. 40 GOP Senators couldn't stop anyone. None of his legislation was filibustered that I know of. Now if you want to continue this bs, carry on.

    As for Fox losing money that was the title of the thread but then again you seem to be looking for a fight, carry on without me.

  8. #538
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Moderator's Warning:
    Obama State of the UnionConservative... STOP the personal attacks or there will be further consequences.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #539
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,273

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    Obama State of the UnionConservative... STOP the personal attacks or there will be further consequences.
    Please accept my apology. too bad some here have such thin skin and post drivel that brings out the worst in me.

  10. #540
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama State of the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Democrats had a 60 vote margin.
    Which brings us back to the point I originally made and which you chose to ignore:

    "I wasn't aware that Democrats were a monolithic block that thought as a single entity and didn't have their own respective interests based on their respective states' voters interests.

    By the way, since you think that Democrats are a monolithic entity, why did many Republicans betray Bush on ending the filibuster when they could have?

    Perhaps, oh maybe, because groups aren't single minded monolithic entities you make them out to be?"

    You act as if the Democrats are a single entity monolith. I'd love to see evidence of this.

    If there was any filibuster Obama couldn't hold his own party and they would have had to join in.
    Like how Bush couldn't hold his own party on nuking the filibuster?

    Oh wait. Care to show me a single point in American history were a President was able to control the actions of every member of his party in the Senate? Or are you all big talk and no game?

    40 GOP Senators couldn't stop anyone.
    They don't have to. Only one democrat could.

    None of his legislation was filibustered that I know of. Now if you want to continue this bs, carry on.
    Which means little coming from a person who thinks he knows all about economics yet cannot define linear regression which at its core is a key principle of understanding the impact of economic factors. Your lack of knowledge does not equate to what you do not know not existing.

    How about you answer this real simple question: Yes or No: Filibusters in the last year have increased to record numbers. Let's get you on record for a change rather then your constant dodging of hard questions.

    As for Fox losing money that was the title of the thread but then again you seem to be looking for a fight, carry on without me.
    All it serves in this thread is to point out that you cannot argue without lies and insults.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •