Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

  1. #21
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

    i wonder if condom companies realise they could make a fortune off this?

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Because it's ready for it? SA has developed a lot in the past 10 years. It deserves the recognition and respect of holding the world cup games.

    If your sole criterion for SA not getting the games is that they have prostitution, well all I can say is that anywhere the games go the sex traffickers will just follow.
    Maybe SA has developed much in the past ten years but are you forgetting about their policy on the minority group. In the past 10 years many of the white south africans have left the country because the government is racist against them. And still continues to be.

    I've known several white south africans working in Europe that have told me the things that happen there. It simply isn't worth having the world cup there.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Hear? Really?


    I'm for banning it all together. Why is it you people think the answer to wrong/immoral/dangerous and DUMB behavior is to legalize it?

    That boggles the mind to be frankly honest.
    Whats wrong/immoral to you might not be for me. And what you may find safe/moral I most likely won't. See I have a problem with people who believe that they have the RIGHT to tell me how to live my life. But yet when you tell them the way to live theirs, they are all like "DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE ITS MY LIFE SO MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!".

    There are things that are inherently wrong like murder. We have comed a far way that the majority of people are not ok with killing someone anymore. And that is a good thing. But have we comed far enough to have prostitution totally illegal? No. Why not? Because people want and desire sex much more than killing.

    And its not dumb because you say it is. I think its dumb to have so many conservatives in one country but still there are many. And I think its dumb to have so many people waving the flag to politicians that promise freedom but they go ahead and write laws that limit all of our freedom.

    Why? Because there are people like you who don't want to live a life where you don't boss others around. You believe that the "greatest freedom is the freedom to oppress others". But that is not freedom that is tyranny. So really you hide behind words like "immoral, dumb, dangerous, wrong" to hide the fact that you really are a tyrant.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    What's "right" for me? Do you have any idea, or are you just unhappy that I pissed on your "yay the immoral are getting AIDS!" parade?

    If you don't like it, you can come up with your own numbers.
    Do you think that was the point? Or is it such a "mean" thought, that you felt you needed to show how small the problem really was? Of course, your rosey numbers merely show ignorance, if the threat was so small... why is there an article? If HIV infection is so weak, why is it a problem?


    The point I was trying to make, and the one you missed in your righteous indignation... is very simple. HIV is easily avoidable, don't sleep with high risk people. The Paid Ladies in South Africa have a known 50% infection rate.

    Only an IDIOT would risk it.

    That's common sense, but no... that's too mean for the likes of you. No no, you think this was a hate thread from a judgmental Bible thumper. So you came in to show not all "conservative minded people" are so hateful. I'm well aware of your gig RightinNYC.

    Oh and your statistic, assumed that every condom worn would be worn perfectly. You know damned well condoms aren't worn properly.

    "The tendency to assume that consistent condom users are using condoms correctly seriously underestimates their risk of transmitting or contracting STDs or becoming pregnant unintentionally," they note.

    In their study the researchers looked at more than 1,100 men and women treated at a public STD clinic in the Southeast. All of them reported using a condom in the past 30 days.

    The researchers found that more than 15% of the patients tested positive for one or both of the two most common sexually transmitted diseases treated at the clinic--gonorrhea and chlamydia. One in four of the participants admitted to improperly using a condom in the past month.

    The women studied at the clinic were more likely than men to report what the researchers term "improper condom-donning techniques."

    "The importance of proper condom use seems obvious, yet the results from this study demonstrate that it must be taught to even sexually experienced adults and that the lack of correct use can be linked to infection," the research team led by Diane Grimley writes in the July/August issue of the American Journal of Health Behavior.
    Product misuse shows a need for education | Chain Drug Review | Find Articles at BNET

    One of the big reasons I really bristle at the whole "Just wear a condom" routine.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #25
    Student MsRetro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    01-24-10 @ 07:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    279

    Re: Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    I find the underlying context of the story revealing, and something that most people don't think about: world-class events attract sex trafficking. All of the pimps and dealers will be moving their women there, you can bet on it, and there will be children in the mix as well.

    I agree that prostitution should be legalized, but the pimps and dealers of these women should remain criminalized. The women and children are being moved around in a well-oiled underground and have mostly been entrapped. A lot of them have HIV in the first place because their buyers demanded to have unprotected sex.

    If the buyers get HIV then they deserve it. The buyers themselves and the traffickers are all a plague on this earth.
    I agree that prostitution should be legalized, but pimping/pandering should remain criminalized.

    Can't get behind "the buyers deserve what they get". Many of these men are married, and almost certainly have unprotected sex with their wives.
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation.

  6. #26
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Hear? Really?


    I'm for banning it all together. Why is it you people think the answer to wrong/immoral/dangerous and DUMB behavior is to legalize it?

    That boggles the mind to be frankly honest.
    Because its called Personal Responsibly I though you conservatives believed that concept or does that only apply to money? If you hate stupid people you should be for them taking themselves out of the gene pool via their own stupid mistakes.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

    Quote Originally Posted by stalin_was_a_nice_being View Post
    Whats wrong/immoral to you might not be for me. And what you may find safe/moral I most likely won't. See I have a problem with people who believe that they have the RIGHT to tell me how to live my life. But yet when you tell them the way to live theirs, they are all like "DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE ITS MY LIFE SO MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!".

    There are things that are inherently wrong like murder. We have comed a far way that the majority of people are not ok with killing someone anymore. And that is a good thing. But have we comed far enough to have prostitution totally illegal? No. Why not? Because people want and desire sex much more than killing.

    And its not dumb because you say it is. I think its dumb to have so many conservatives in one country but still there are many. And I think its dumb to have so many people waving the flag to politicians that promise freedom but they go ahead and write laws that limit all of our freedom.

    Why? Because there are people like you who don't want to live a life where you don't boss others around. You believe that the "greatest freedom is the freedom to oppress others". But that is not freedom that is tyranny. So really you hide behind words like "immoral, dumb, dangerous, wrong" to hide the fact that you really are a tyrant.
    Sleeping with prostitutes, is DUMB. Period. Even the "clean" ones in Vegas. DUMB!!!! And what about the effect on the women in the business? It's amazing to me that you think this is all about "sins" and has nothing to do about treating women respectfully.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #28
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    Because its called Personal Responsibly I though you conservatives believed that concept or does that only apply to money? If you hate stupid people you should be for them taking themselves out of the gene pool via their own stupid mistakes.
    I don't support legalizing destructive behavior just because it's "easier" to deal with it. That's the biggest problem I have with the Libertarian movement. This belief that society doesn't have an obligation to hold itself to a higher standard.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #29
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I don't support legalizing destructive behavior just because it's "easier" to deal with it. That's the biggest problem I have with the Libertarian movement. This belief that society doesn't have an obligation to hold itself to a higher standard.
    Why do you care if South Africa has prostitution?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #30
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Fears that World Cup could increase spread of HIV

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    This belief that society doesn't have an obligation to hold itself to a higher standard.
    Question: which one of the following people is adhering to a higher standard:

    Person 1: I didn't sleep with the prostitute because I think that it is wrong
    Person 2: I didn't sleep with a prostitute because it is illegal and I'd get in trouble.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •