Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 121

Thread: Nullification for Texas? Will it work?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Nullification for Texas? Will it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post




    Firefox, I don't think has a Grammar checker. However, I think it just has a spelling checker.
    I do my own grammar checking but it's nice to have spelling for some words a simple mouse-click away. Otherwise I just type as close as I can get to the correct spelling in Google and click SEARCH.


    That usually does the track.

  2. #62
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Nullification for Texas? Will it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    They are the final word on U.S. Constitutionality, but as the past has proven they aren't infallible.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the rest." - Winston Churchill

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    On the flip side, when the States don't do as the Federal Government desires, is it OK for them to deny what the States want? See: National Speed Limit of 55 mph (Yes, I know it's a wiki). We are a UNION of STATES. The States should hold the most power (within constitutional bounds) when dealing within their borders. The Federal Government is more for Foreign Policy and Interstate Commerce, that which it makes little sense to have 50 States do independently.
    Originally, the federal government was more for foreign policy and interstate commerce. However, originally, the only people who could vote were determined by the states, which was usually propertied landowners. The United States has changed and evolved a great deal since then.

    One way in which the U.S. has evolved is that the federal government enforces laws to prohibit oppression done via state governments. For example, it was the federal government that ended segregation. While you claim that the state governments are supposed to prevent oppression by the federal government, I'm making the claim that the federal government is supposed to prevent oppression by the state governments.

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    What African Americans did I treat poorly? Or was that a general "You" as if to say you're lumping me in with some group of people?
    That was a more general "you." I don't know you personally. But I do know how African-Americans and other minorities have been treated in the South. I know because I've lived there.

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    There's that you again...Popular to contrary belief™, I never held office during the time period when African Americans were oppressed, and I surely do not hold it now, nor have I notified my elected representatives to support such legislation. And the Citizens are the ones in charge of preventing Corruption themselves, not through more government simply because it is higher up on the legislative 'food chain', which by the way, is just as corrupt itself. But that's just the nature of the beast.
    Indeed, you personally have never held office nor support such legislation. But I believe that the federal government does have the right to ensure that African-Americans, and all other social groups, be they based on gender, ethnicity, or religion, have their rights protected against any discrimination or oppression that could be perpetuated by state or local governments.

    While you personally do not support such legislation, there ARE people who would, and it's up to the federal government to protect everybody else against them.
    Last edited by samsmart; 12-22-09 at 10:46 PM.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Nullification for Texas? Will it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Perhaps this link will help?

    Spell Checking in Web Browsers

    I don't have safari but it may have the answers you seek.
    Thanks for the information. ^^

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Nullification for Texas? Will it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the rest." - Winston Churchill
    What point are you trying to make here? No offense, I just don't see any major connection...

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    While you claim that the state governments are supposed to prevent oppression by the federal government, I'm making the claim that the federal government is supposed to prevent oppression by the state governments.
    Monitoring corruption should be done by the smaller units, the States, so that they keep in check the actions of the Federal Government. It seems a little silly that the Federal Government, which is not as intimate or in tune with the wants of the populations as the State governments and their local governments, steps in to make decisions for the States. However, this SHOULD be the case in matters pertaining to the constitutionality of a State's actions as they are bound to the U.S. Constitution just like the Federal Government is (This is where the Supreme Court comes in.)


  5. #65
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Nullification for Texas? Will it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    What point are you trying to make here? No offense, I just don't see any major connection...
    My point was that of course the Supreme Court isn't infallible but I think it's an error to believe that the individual states would be a better check on constitutionality.

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Monitoring corruption should be done by the smaller units, the States, so that they keep in check the actions of the Federal Government. It seems a little silly that the Federal Government, which is not as intimate or in tune with the wants of the populations as the State governments and their local governments, steps in to make decisions for the States. However, this SHOULD be the case in matters pertaining to the constitutionality of a State's actions as they are bound to the U.S. Constitution just like the Federal Government is (This is where the Supreme Court comes in.)

    Actually, there is evidence that state governments are MORE corrupt than the federal government is. This is because the federal government is watched over by everyone else, as their decisions affect the entire country. However, state politics only affect their state, and so people don't pay as much attention to state governments.

    And while the federal government isn't as intimate or in tune with he wants of state and local populations, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It allows the federal government to provide for all Americans despite local prejudices. This why Satanists are free to practice their religion, atheists are free to have nothing to do with religion, and interracial relationships and marriages are allowed to occur despite local and regional taboos against those things. The federal government is above all that.

  6. #66
    John Schnatter 2012 Phantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-20-12 @ 12:48 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    638

    Re: Nullification for Texas? Will it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    My point was that of course the Supreme Court isn't infallible but I think it's an error to believe that the individual states would be a better check on constitutionality.



    Actually, there is evidence that state governments are MORE corrupt than the federal government is. This is because the federal government is watched over by everyone else, as their decisions affect the entire country. However, state politics only affect their state, and so people don't pay as much attention to state governments.
    I can believe that, at least for a state like Texas.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzmGNatLOps"]YouTube- TEXAS VOTING FRAUD ON VIDEO[/ame]

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Nullification for Texas? Will it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    My point was that of course the Supreme Court isn't infallible but I think it's an error to believe that the individual states would be a better check on constitutionality.
    Oh OK, I was saying that Constitutionality is left up to the Supreme Court but we have to trust that they're correct or they're just as bad.


    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Actually, there is evidence that state governments are MORE corrupt than the federal government is. This is because the federal government is watched over by everyone else, as their decisions affect the entire country. However, state politics only affect their state, and so people don't pay as much attention to state governments.
    I can understand that, given more media attention to the Federal Level and people not living where other local news comes to them easily, and while lower levels could possibly have been more corrupt in the past (Like Robber Barons and such) it is my understanding that most unchecked and unpunished corruption goes on at the Federal level.

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    And while the federal government isn't as intimate or in tune with he wants of state and local populations, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It allows the federal government to provide for all Americans despite local prejudices. This why Satanists are free to practice their religion, atheists are free to have nothing to do with religion, and interracial relationships and marriages are allowed to occur despite local and regional taboos against those things. The federal government is above all that.
    Yeah, once again, If it conflicts with the U.S. Constitution I can see the Feds getting involved, but things like a National Speed Limit, Abortion, and Homosexual Marriage (mostly things that can be decided on a local level and vary largely from state to state.) Should be left to the States. That way entire regions aren't forced to abide by things that are believed by a different region across the country. And normally most everyone comes around to what is considered "right" anyways and it becomes commonly accepted everywhere.

  8. #68
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Nullification for Texas? Will it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Could Texas just secede already? The GOP would be utterly screwed if they lost that state and frankly I wouldn't miss it that much. They can then re elect Bush to be their President and go to war with every oil rich nation in the world.
    Man, I'm ready---pull tha plug already.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  9. #69
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Nullification for Texas? Will it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Oh OK, I was saying that Constitutionality is left up to the Supreme Court but we have to trust that they're correct or they're just as bad.
    You're absolutely right. There are a ton of decisions that the Supreme Court has made that I don't think are correct. But I do see the need for them to be the final authority on issues. I also see how they provide a better source of stability in our nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I can understand that, given more media attention to the Federal Level and people not living where other local news comes to them easily, and while lower levels could possibly have been more corrupt in the past (Like Robber Barons and such) it is my understanding that most unchecked and unpunished corruption goes on at the Federal level.
    That could be the case, as there are many agencies of the federal government that corruption can happen and their corruption has more far-reaching effects than that on a state level. However, I don't think that limiting the federal government will get rid of that corruption; instead, it'll just migrate to the state governments. But I'd rather be able to track the corruption of one federal government than track the corruption of 50 state governments.

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Yeah, once again, If it conflicts with the U.S. Constitution I can see the Feds getting involved, but things like a National Speed Limit, Abortion, and Homosexual Marriage (mostly things that can be decided on a local level and vary largely from state to state.) Should be left to the States. That way entire regions aren't forced to abide by things that are believed by a different region across the country. And normally most everyone comes around to what is considered "right" anyways and it becomes commonly accepted everywhere.
    But the problem with that is that modern advances in transportation and communication means that regions cannot isolate themselves from the local cultures of other states.

    For example, people can easily go from one state to another state to get an abortion by hopping on a plane. Homosexuals that marry in one state can easily travel to another state where it's illegal. The national speed limit was an attempt to reduce fuel consumption nation-wide during an energy crisis.

    This is why many issues can no longer be relegated to just the states. Transportation among the states is too easy to make it feasible.

  10. #70
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Nullification for Texas? Will it work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Just a teabagger's wet dreams.
    You need to take your sexual fantasies to the sex forum. You haven't seen the public get upset yet, but they are going to accept the socialist program from the federal govt without a fight.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •