Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77

Thread: Why Did Senate Republicans Oppose Troop Funding?

  1. #31
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Why Did Senate Republicans Oppose Troop Funding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Dav, the polling on healthcare has been all over the place, and you know this. The change of a single word in the wording of the question results in wide swings in results, consistently. If I remember right, "public option" gets support, "government run health care" not so much. Right now, I have no idea what most people really want, and with all the disinformation spread by those of both sides, I don't trust that what people want is based on a true understanding of the issues.

    Note that I say this as some one who has stated all along that I think a public option at this time is a bad idea, and as a liberal. I am not trying to make a point about health care, only about what I see as the invalidity of the polling on the topic.
    You are right about polling on vague concepts relating to health care; you are not right about polling on the proposals put forward by Congress.

    RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Obama and Democrats' Health Care Plan

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Why Did Senate Republicans Oppose Troop Funding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post

    When Republicans owned the White House and both houses of Congress, it didn't stop the Democrats from trying to do the public's business, did it? I don't recall... Did those Dems ever try to stop military funding as a way to stall some other legislation they didn't particularly like.

    Quite a few time they did but hey your one for never understanding the truth. Oh and for the record i guess you missed the part about the Deocrates adding two Riders to the Bill as the reason why the Republicans voted against it.

  3. #33
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why Did Senate Republicans Oppose Troop Funding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    You are right about polling on vague concepts relating to health care; you are not right about polling on the proposals put forward by Congress.

    RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Obama and Democrats' Health Care Plan
    Dav, there are two health care plans. The poll talks about one. Which is it, the senate or house version? They are significantly different. This also does not address my point about the misinformation.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #34
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Why Did Senate Republicans Oppose Troop Funding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Quite a few time they did but hey your one for never understanding the truth.
    Scorp, your understanding of how things work in Washington has been repeatedly blown out of the water. You've been owned so many times on what "the truth" is in Washington that your comments on such things mean nothing at this point. But I do give you credit for doing the best with what you have.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Oh and for the record i guess you missed the part about the Deocrates adding two Riders to the Bill as the reason why the Republicans voted against it.
    A. Never heard of Deocrates. Is that a Greek playwright/tragedian or something?

    B. Republican leaders have specifically stated the reason they voted against funding the troops was to delay work on healthcare reform legislation.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Why Did Senate Republicans Oppose Troop Funding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Awww. Are you feeling left out, Davie?



    Is there some rule here that I must respond to every pathetic attempt to pretend the right hasn't done something outrageously hypocritical (yet again)? Poor thing. Not getting enough attention at home, I wager.
    It's just very hypocritical to jump at the chance to point out the "silence of the right", and then ignore me when I try to dispute your point.




    Senate Republicans have stated publicly that they voted against funding the military defense appropriations in order to stall work on the healthcare reform bill.
    ...Did I ever deny that? What the hell does that have to do with the quote you are responding to here? I said that both parties play politics. The Republicans are one of those two parties, in case you forgot.

    No, it's not a moot point. The majority of American voters want a public option. They oppose the current Senate bill BECAUSE it has no public option or lowering of the eligibility age for Medicare.
    This has nothing to do with what I was saying.

    You claimed that the Republicans' efforts to obstruct the current bill is going against the public will. In fact, the public will is against the current bill. Whether or not the public would have supported a different bill has nothing to do with the fact that you were wrong.

    1. The GOP purity test hasn't even been voted on by the party. The committee will debate the proposal at its winter meeting in January.

    2. The chief sponsor of the proposal is Republican National Committeeman James Bopp. The proposed resolution was signed by ten Republican National Committee members (there are approximately 165 members in total) and supported by Republican National Committee Chair Michael Steele. That's 11 out of 165, Daviepoo. Nearly 7%!
    Sorry, I was wrong. It represents the view of 11 crazies.

    Happy?

    But wow, 7% is a big number .

    When Republicans owned the White House and both houses of Congress, it didn't stop the Democrats from trying to do the public's business, did it? I don't recall... Did those Dems ever try to stop military funding as a way to stall some other legislation they didn't particularly like?
    Did they ever do one specific thing that requires a set of very specific conditions? No. But they play politics just like Republicans do, because they are politicians.

    Personal insults. Typical.
    If you actually knew me you would know that they are not "typical" at all, and that I only use them on people who really deserve them.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Why Did Senate Republicans Oppose Troop Funding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Dav, there are two health care plans. The poll talks about one. Which is it, the senate or house version? They are significantly different.
    Look again. The numbers go way back, and there are plenty for when the only proposed bill was the House one. From November on or so it can be reasonably assumed that the answers are based on the Senate bill.

    Pollster.com: Health Care Plan: Favor / Oppose

    From here it can be seen that as soon as actual bills became proposed, the public started leaning against them. Note that voters are more likely to be against the plans than all adults. The wording of each poll is at the bottom of the page if you're interested.

    This also does not address my point about the misinformation.
    Because it's a moot point. If people are too dumb to form their own opinions, Democracy isn't a good idea anyways.

  7. #37
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why Did Senate Republicans Oppose Troop Funding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Look again. The numbers go way back, and there are plenty for when the only proposed bill was the House one. From November on or so it can be reasonably assumed that the answers are based on the Senate bill.

    Pollster.com: Health Care Plan: Favor / Oppose

    From here it can be seen that as soon as actual bills became proposed, the public started leaning against them. Note that voters are more likely to be against the plans than all adults. The wording of each poll is at the bottom of the page if you're interested.
    Before there was a senate bill, there where multiple bills in conference in the house. You know this.

    Because it's a moot point. If people are too dumb to form their own opinions, Democracy isn't a good idea anyways.
    Now what I said. I said disinformation, not stupidity. That is a large difference. Not every one has the time, ability and inclination that we have to spend the time researching this stuff.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Why Did Senate Republicans Oppose Troop Funding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Before there was a senate bill, there where multiple bills in conference in the house. You know this.
    And pretty much every bill has been faced with public opposition.

    None of this changes what I originally said though, which is that the public is completely against the current Senate bill, and that Glinda was wrong to say otherwise.

    Now what I said. I said disinformation, not stupidity. That is a large difference. Not every one has the time, ability and inclination that we have to spend the time researching this stuff.
    Not sure what this changes. If people are too susceptible to disinformation to have an informed opinion, democracy still doesn't work.

  9. #39
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,026

    Re: Why Did Senate Republicans Oppose Troop Funding?

    Senators OK defense budget bill, much left to 2010 - Yahoo! News


    The defense bill, which contains $128 billion for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan and a 3.4 percent pay raise for the military, enjoyed wide support. Just nine Republicans opposed pork barrel projects and some of the add-ons voted against the bill, as did anti-war Democrat Russ Feingold of Wisconsin.

    The president has yet to request funds for his recently announced troop increase in Afghanistan, and there is no money in the bill for that.

    So where is the rest of the money going?

    The defense measure would trim $900 million from the Pentagon's $7.5 billion budget to train Afghan security forces. It would use the money to buy about 1,400 additional mine-resistance vehicles suited for rugged conditions in Afghanistan. Lawmakers say the training program can't absorb that much money in the coming year, so they used it for other purposes.

    The measure also caps an emotional debate over closing the Guantanamo Bay detention facility in Cuba. While it omits Obama's $100 million request to close the facility, it permits Guantanamo detainees to be transferred to the U.S. to stand trial.
    Sooooo... Less autonomy for the hope of an independant Afghanistan and more moneys for imperialism. And Obama will close Guantanamo only if he gets 100 million bucks to play with?
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  10. #40
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why Did Senate Republicans Oppose Troop Funding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    And pretty much every bill has been faced with public opposition.

    None of this changes what I originally said though, which is that the public is completely against the current Senate bill, and that Glinda was wrong to say otherwise.
    Your poll does not show this. It shows opposition to something that does not actually exist, which is a cohesive, single plan.

    Not sure what this changes. If people are too susceptible to disinformation to have an informed opinion, democracy still doesn't work.
    Every one is susceptible to disinformation.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •