Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 125

Thread: Top Economic Adviser: ‘Of Course’ Recession Isn’t Over

  1. #11
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Top Economic Adviser: ‘Of Course’ Recession Isn’t Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So in other words you support some forms of socialism. Not others.
    That's not socialism, that's the military.

    How much socialism do you suport? Along with your government bennies, do you feel you should required to wear a uniform everyday? Live and work where the government decides you should work? Even if it's thousands of miles from your home? How much control do you want the government to have over your daily life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Top Economic Adviser: ‘Of Course’ Recession Isn’t Over

    Because the military is what it is. The environment you find in the military exists for a reason. The reason is to enforce discipline, comradeship and unit cohesion. What happens in a civilian job when things get to nasty, scary, ugly and hard? People quit, right? That can't be allowed to happen in a military unit.

    The soldiers that, "just push papers", are still soldiers. Everyone in the Army is a rifleman, that exists moreso in the Marine Corps. Those paper pushers could very easily find themselves locking horns with the enemy and will need to display the same level of discipline as a front line infantry soldier.

    People chose to make the sacrifice of their civilian freedoms, to serve in the military, in order to protect the freedoms of the rest of the Americans who either can't, or won't serve.

    People in on active duty don't have, nor are they allowed to have civilian jobs. Reserve component soldiers have a civilian job, yet don't have the same post privelages as active duty personel. Free medical care, PX and commisary priviledges, etc.

    Most soldiers's salaries are below the poverty level. It wasn't until I made it to pay grade of E-5 that I was above the poverty level, then dipped below the poverty level again when I got married and didn't rise above it until I was promoted to E-6. I'd say that the bennies they get are well deserved.
    Save me your life story and tear jerk moments and answer what I actually asked? How do you reconcile being in opposition to socialism with the tax payer funded practices & policies of the U.S. government in regards to its military? Here. I'll give you a clue as to why your entire post is full of **** and you didn't answer what I actually asked:

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    If it keeps going like it is, I may be again.
    The military is the largest social program we have running in this country after medicare and welfare. You have millions of people who receive benefits on top of their salary they already get. Even though as your quote demonstrates, they don't always join for altruistic reasons but economical ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's not socialism, that's the military.

    How much socialism do you suport? Along with your government bennies, do you feel you should required to wear a uniform everyday? Live and work where the government decides you should work? Even if it's thousands of miles from your home? How much control do you want the government to have over your daily life?
    It is. Under your vague and uneducated definition of socialism? Most definitely so. Tax payers fund the myriad of benefits the military gets. Housing, grocery discounts, medical services ON TOP of the salaries soldiers already get. If the government did the same thing for the private companies like Wal-Mart who provide jobs for about as many people as the military, would you not call it socialism? Of course you would. Even though the reason this country even has a military complex as large as it does is because those workers keep our military not only fed, clothed and bathed inside of bases but outside too. Save me the rhetoric about the sacrifice a soldier makes. If you want to be employed at any job there comes a price with it and you hand some control of your life to somebody else. Nobody forces anybody to join the military and benefit from tax payer funded programs like you seem to be almost reluctant to do.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-14-09 at 03:25 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #13
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Top Economic Adviser: ‘Of Course’ Recession Isn’t Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Save me your life story and tear jerk moments and answer what I actually asked? How do you reconcile being in opposition to socialism with the tax payer funded practices & policies of the U.S. government in regards to its military? Here. I'll give you a clue as to why your entire post is full of **** and you didn't answer what I actually asked:



    The military is the largest social program we have running in this country after medicare and welfare. You have millions of people who receive benefits on top of their salary they already get. Even though as your quote demonstrates, they don't always join for altruistic reasons but economical ones.



    It is. Under your vague and uneducated definition of socialism? Most definitely so. Tax payers fund the myriad of benefits the military gets. Housing, grocery discounts, medical services ON TOP of the salaries soldiers already get. If the government did the same thing for the private companies like Wal-Mart who provide jobs for about as many people as the military, would you not call it socialism? Of course you would. Even though the reason this country even has a military complex as large as it does is because those workers keep our military not only fed, clothed and bathed inside of bases but outside too. Save me the rhetoric about the sacrifice a soldier makes. If you want to be employed at any job there comes a price with it and you hand some control of your life to somebody else. Nobody forces anybody to join the military and benefit from tax payer funded programs like you seem to be almost reluctant to do.
    The military isn't a social program. It's a profession. In the military, if you don't perform, you run the risk of not getting paid, or even getting discharged.

    No one has to perform to remain on welfare their whole life. All they have to do is stay poor. When is the last time that a welfare classer had to go into combat?

    AS far as,"free", health care, that's not entirely accurate. The only, "free", health care that soldiers get are service related issues. Something, such as delivering a baby, the soldier has to pay for. Grant ed at a very discounted rate, but pay for just the same. They don't get grocery discounts. They just don't pay sales tax on post.
    Last edited by apdst; 12-14-09 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Top Economic Adviser: ‘Of Course’ Recession Isn’t Over

    Moderator's Warning:
    Video clips belong in news 2.0. Thread moved

  5. #15
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Top Economic Adviser: ‘Of Course’ Recession Isn’t Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Save me your life story and tear jerk moments and answer what I actually asked?
    Why so belligerent? I thought he gave a pretty clear response to your obvious trolling question.


    How do you reconcile being in opposition to socialism with the tax payer funded practices & policies of the U.S. government in regards to its military?

    A solider gives up his or her rights in certain aspects to freedom so that they may be called upon in a moments notice to protect yours.


    The military is the largest social program we have running in this country after medicare and welfare. You have millions of people who receive benefits on top of their salary they already get. Even though as your quote demonstrates, they don't always join for altruistic reasons but economical ones.

    Yes, there is a level of those that join the service to achieve a myriad of things from separating from their possible horrible circumstances on the streets, to educational benefits, to in some families, believe it or not as a right of passage into adulthood. The sacrifice of loosing life or limb is denigrated by your assumption that those in the military services are only there to live, and benefit off the American people. It is about the most ungrateful thing I can imagine anyone enjoying the umbrella of safety granted by these young men, and women's commitment saying.


    It is. Under your vague and uneducated definition of socialism? Most definitely so. Tax payers fund the myriad of benefits the military gets. Housing, grocery discounts, medical services ON TOP of the salaries soldiers already get. If the government did the same thing for the private companies like Wal-Mart who provide jobs for about as many people as the military, would you not call it socialism?

    Do the workers at Wal Mart have a claus in their employment agreement that requires that they be placed in harms way in defense of this nation?


    Of course you would. Even though the reason this country even has a military complex as large as it does is because those workers keep our military not only fed, clothed and bathed inside of bases but outside too.

    Clearly you do not know what you are talking about.



    Save me the rhetoric about the sacrifice a soldier makes. If you want to be employed at any job there comes a price with it and you hand some control of your life to somebody else.

    Clearly you are young and don't understand the line between freedoms, and commitment. You are at a civilian job as long as you provide a service the employer wants, and are free to leave that job if you disagree with what the employer asks of you. Not so in the military.


    Nobody forces anybody to join the military and benefit from tax payer funded programs like you seem to be almost reluctant to do.

    You are correct, no one is forced to join the military. Which is why we should all give those that do join the utmost respect, something I can see from your words that you do not have for them.

    I think this speech fits here.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo"]YouTube- A Few Good Man "You Can't Handle the Truth"[/ame]


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #16
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Top Economic Adviser: ‘Of Course’ Recession Isn’t Over

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Can you explain how you reconcile your opposition to socialism with the tax payer funded practices & policies of the U.S. government in regards to its military? Further more can you explain how you view the use of these policies and practices by members who do not serve anywhere near a field of combat i.e. paper pushers in the military? When I say policies & practices, I mean the tax payer funded benefits tax payers pay for even though people in the military already have a job which pays them money. Hold the 'You hate the troops' please. I'm very curious to see you give an answer which isn't scripted.
    Why is it different than any employee-employer relationship. The employer, the government, offers pay and benefits for the services of the employee, the soldier (or paper pusher in your words). How is that socialism?

    .

  7. #17
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Top Economic Adviser: ‘Of Course’ Recession Isn’t Over

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why so belligerent? I thought he gave a pretty clear response to your obvious trolling question.
    What was trolling about it? I asked him to reconcile his position with a job which benefits from the only job in this country that benefits from social programs even when people are employed.

    A solider gives up his or her rights in certain aspects to freedom so that they may be called upon in a moments notice to protect yours.

    Yes, there is a level of those that join the service to achieve a myriad of things from separating from their possible horrible circumstances on the streets, to educational benefits, to in some families, believe it or not as a right of passage into adulthood. The sacrifice of loosing life or limb is denigrated by your assumption that those in the military services are only there to live, and benefit off the American people. It is about the most ungrateful thing I can imagine anyone enjoying the umbrella of safety granted by these young men, and women's commitment saying.

    Do the workers at Wal Mart have a claus in their employment agreement that requires that they be placed in harms way in defense of this nation?
    Can you explain how you reconcile opposition to socialism while enjoying the very social programs you rally against? Oh wait. You can't. Here's a flag. Wave it a little while the adults talk.

    Clearly you do not know what you are talking about.
    Who pays for the military? I'll give you a clue. Initials are T.P.



    Clearly you are young and don't understand the line between freedoms, and commitment. You are at a civilian job as long as you provide a service the employer wants, and are free to leave that job if you disagree with what the employer asks of you. Not so in the military.
    Tearjerk response. When will you answer what I actually ask?

    You are correct, no one is forced to join the military. Which is why we should all give those that do join the utmost respect, something I can see from your words that you do not have for them.

    I think this speech fits here.

    YouTube- A Few Good Man "You Can't Handle the Truth"


    j-mac
    Here is a napkin with the American flag on it. I've used it to wipe my face after eating Pad Thai. Are you offended? Hopefully. Can you answer what I actually asked without resorting to rhetoric and 'America **** YEAH!' responses?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #18
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Top Economic Adviser: ‘Of Course’ Recession Isn’t Over

    The Constitution gives Congress the responsibility to maintain a standing army. Providing food, housing and medial are important mechanics of maintaining a standing army. It would be rediculus, not to mention fool-hardy, not to insure that your fighting force is in good physical condition. That's why the miltiary isn't a social program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #19
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Top Economic Adviser: ‘Of Course’ Recession Isn’t Over

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Constitution gives Congress the responsibility to maintain a standing army. Providing food, housing and medial are important mechanics of maintaining a standing army. It would be rediculus, not to mention fool-hardy, not to insure that your fighting force is in good physical condition. That's why the miltiary isn't a social program.
    Seriously? Your argument is because the Constitution says so? So if something meets all of the criteria to be Socialist, but if allowed under COTUS, it's not Socialist?

    Wow.

    So if the Constitution said hypothetically, that collective farms were acceptable, DESPITE being obviously Communist, that wouldn't be Communist because COTUS said so?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #20
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Top Economic Adviser: ‘Of Course’ Recession Isn’t Over

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Seriously? Your argument is because the Constitution says so? So if something meets all of the criteria to be Socialist, but if allowed under COTUS, it's not Socialist?

    Wow.

    So if the Constitution said hypothetically, that collective farms were acceptable, DESPITE being obviously Communist, that wouldn't be Communist because COTUS said so?
    Explain how it's a bad idea for the government to insure the health and welfare of it's military. Thanks in advance.

    Do you understand the importance of morale in a military unit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •