Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263
Results 621 to 628 of 628

Thread: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

  1. #621
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Strange, but worthless. It's just correlation. These countries also probably have other mitigating factors, such as corruption and war.
    The point was to expose you to extreme ends; on the other side we have Iraq, Cuba, and Slovakia. Blindly stating "less government" achieves what?

    BTW, I am still asking you what percentage of the US economy is "centrally planned" and waiting for a response.
    Last time i read up, about 34% of the US economy is represented via government expenditure (using the expenditure approach to national income accounting FWIW). I have little doubt it will approach the 40% mark in the near future.

    I tried searching for PPR quickly and couldn't find it. Do you know the answer?
    That is because you are searching for a phantom stat.
    Last edited by Kushinator; 01-06-10 at 02:13 AM.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  2. #622
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    The point was to expose you to extreme ends; on the other side we have Iraq, Cuba, and Slovakia. Blindly stating "less government" achieves what?
    Less government, but an accountable government that does its job is what is most desirable.

    Last time i read up, about 34% of the US economy is represented via government expenditure (using the expenditure approach to national income accounting FWIW). I have little doubt it will approach the 40% mark in the near future.
    Misterman, is this close enough to gray for you?

    That is because you are searching for a phantom stat.
    Since when is PPR a phantom stat?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #623
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Since when is PPR a phantom stat?
    Care to provide any info in regards to the stat? The wiki page was only a few sentences....
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #624
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Misterman, is this close enough to gray for you?
    Of course.

    I never said gray isn't gray. I said white with a tiny drop of black isn't gray. Go read the thread.

  5. #625
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Care to provide any info in regards to the stat? The wiki page was only a few sentences....
    To estimate the extent of government depredation on private product, we first find private product by deducting “product” or “income” originating in government and “government enterprise”— i.e., the payment of government salaries—from Gross National Product. We now have the Gross Private Product. Government depredations upon this GPP consist of the resources that government drains from the private sector, i.e., total government expenditures or receipts, whichever is the higher. This total subtracted from the GPP yields the private product remaining in private hands, which we may call PPR. The percentage of government depredation to gross private product yields an estimate of the burden of government’s fiscal operations on the private economy.

    From America's Great Depression by Murray Rothbard.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #626
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    To estimate the extent of government depredation on private product, we first find private product by deducting “product” or “income” originating in government and “government enterprise”— i.e., the payment of government salaries—from Gross National Product. We now have the Gross Private Product. Government depredations upon this GPP consist of the resources that government drains from the private sector, i.e., total government expenditures or receipts, whichever is the higher. This total subtracted from the GPP yields the private product remaining in private hands, which we may call PPR. The percentage of government depredation to gross private product yields an estimate of the burden of government’s fiscal operations on the private economy.

    From America's Great Depression by Murray Rothbard.
    This doesn't measure the value the government adds to a product. Which is very real even if you're skeptical.

  7. #627
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    This doesn't measure the value the government adds to a product. Which is very real even if you're skeptical.
    I know it's real, but GDP - PPR will roughly show government involvement in the economy, and I would think that PPR is a more reliable measure of growth since it doesn't include those things which are impossible to measure the value of.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #628
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Couldn't you just look at private fixed assets? This would be a rough estimate of at least what "producers" would own.

Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •