Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 628

Thread: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

  1. #591
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Nope. But some are closer than others.
    Okay, so there is no such thing as capitalism any more.

    You realize that insisting on your own definitions of words simply makes you incomprehensible, right?

  2. #592
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Okay, so there is no such thing as capitalism any more.
    As far as recorded history there probably hasn't been. It's still the ideal that we should strive for.

    You realize that insisting on your own definitions of words simply makes you incomprehensible, right?
    No, it means I'm arguing for what I believe, not what someone else believes.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #593
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    No, it means I'm arguing for what I believe, not what someone else believes.
    No, it means you're just off in your own little world.

  4. #594
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No, it means you're just off in your own little world.
    That's not an argument showing that I'm wrong. Just because the status quo is the status quo doesn't mean that it's right or the best option.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  5. #595
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    That's not an argument showing that I'm wrong. Just because the status quo is the status quo doesn't mean that it's right or the best option.
    I was talking about your terminology.

    Most people accept that a mixed economy that is mostly capitalist can still be called "capitalist." Most people understand that capitalist doesn't have to mean 100% capitalist. You're just confusing things, to no good end.

  6. #596
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I was talking about your terminology.

    Most people accept that a mixed economy that is mostly capitalist can still be called "capitalist." Most people understand that capitalist doesn't have to mean 100% capitalist. You're just confusing things, to no good end.
    But it is to a good end. Many people use the problems of a mixed economy as an argument against capitalism, when most of the arguments that they have are against the interventionist aspects of the mixed economy. Mischaracterization of an idea is not good for intellectual progress.

    You don't call the color gray, white. You call it gray. It has some black, and some white, but it's not completely white, and you make note of it.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #597
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    But it is to a good end. Many people use the problems of a mixed economy as an argument against capitalism, when most of the arguments that they have are against the interventionist aspects of the mixed economy. Mischaracterization of an idea is not good for intellectual progress.

    You don't call the color gray, white. You call it gray. It has some black, and some white, but it's not completely white, and you make note of it.
    Fine, but you're busy calling slightly off-white "gray".

  8. #598
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Fine, but you're busy calling slightly off-white "gray".
    Because to me, those shades of gray don't just make slightly off-white, it makes full gray to me.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #599
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Because to me, those shades of gray don't just make slightly off-white, it makes full gray to me.
    To you. Not to most people.

  10. #600
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    To you. Not to most people.
    It doesn't matter what most people think. If it's not capitalism, then it's not capitalism. Deal with the issue, not with a strawman.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •