Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 628

Thread: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

  1. #91
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    You said that already. I agreed with you. What's your point?



    The economy can't stand on its own two feet, not for a long long time. How will it do that? It needs a shot in the arm. The government can do that by spending more in the short term. What's so strange about that? The government is simply acting just like a private business might, if it could. The government can afford to borrow and take on debt and risk on a scale that private companies can't right now.

    Go read Keynes.
    There's just no getting through to you!...

    Who brainwashed you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #92
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    All they're doing is recycling money.
    Really? How, exactly.

    It ain't gonna work. That would be the same thing as an employee paying his employer, then the employer turning around and using that same money to pay the employee's salary. It ain't gonna work!!!!
    No, not at all, but in a way that's basically how the whole economy works, dude. In a much bigger circle, but that's how it works. You buy, someone else gets paid. They buy, and someone else gets paid. And so on. Value is added along the way. The government is simply buying, and starting that process again.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    From the private sector. Are you saying the government can't find money to borrow?

    ^^^^^^^^^
    So you want the government to borrow money from the private sector to give to the private sector?


    Print it? That's not wealth, that's money you're talking about.

    I am not saying, and never said, the government is creating wealth. The government is injecting cash into the private sector in the form of spending to get the private sector to create wealth.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Cash and money are the same thing. At some point, dollar figures must appear in an account, which is money.



    The government can regulate, and tax - and spend too. That's all it is doing, spending. That's how it stimulates wealth creation by the private sector.

    ^^^^^^^^^
    Again, you want the government to borrow money, give it away, then tax it, then repay the money it borrowed with the fraction of it that it MIGHT have received in taxes? That is exactly how you end up trillions in debt in the first place.


    Try doing that with your credit card. Make a cash withdrawal, give it to your buddy, take 5 percent annually of what he earns from investing it, and try to pay your credit card bill on time and in full.


    The creditors will be calling in three months.
    Last edited by Erod; 12-09-09 at 11:59 AM.

  4. #94
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    You said that already. I agreed with you. What's your point?



    The economy can't stand on its own two feet, not for a long long time. How will it do that?
    There are billions of dollars waiting on the sidelines to invest once the people who don't understand how money is made get out of the way.

    Reduce taxes and government spending and make these vastly smarter private citizens feel better about the value of the dollar, and their money will pour into the market.

    It's not that hard. What Obama is doing will prolong this for many years, which is what he wants. He's trying to kill capitalism in this country once and for all. He wants us to be no different than Belarus in the end.

  5. #95
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There's just no getting through to you!...

    Who brainwashed you?
    Saying nothing but "you don't get it" and then topping it with the "brainwashing" thing is among the lamest, limpest responses possible on a debate board.

  6. #96
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post

    Try doing that with your credit card. Make a cash withdrawal, give it to your buddy, take 5 percent annually of what he earns from investing it, and try to pay your credit card bill on time and in full.


    The creditors will be calling in three months.
    But that's not what's happening, is it?

    People are taking that money and ADDING value with it - by working and earning wages. Then they spend their money, which is used by other people to ADD VALUE through their work. And so on. It's not just money that is circulating, it's labor.

  7. #97
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    There are billions of dollars waiting on the sidelines to invest once the people who don't understand how money is made get out of the way.
    How exactly are they in the way? What is stopping people from borrowing that money? Banks are eager to loan, interest rates are low.

    The reason they aren't borrowing it is because they have no customers because there's a recession.

    Reduce taxes and government spending and make these vastly smarter private citizens feel better about the value of the dollar, and their money will pour into the market.
    Yeah, right.

    People aren't spending because they don't have any dollars because they have no jobs. Or they fear losing their job.

    It's not that hard. What Obama is doing will prolong this for many years, which is what he wants. He's trying to kill capitalism in this country once and for all. He wants us to be no different than Belarus in the end.
    Yeah yeah yeah. Socialism, etc.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post

    People are taking that money and ADDING value with it - by working and earning wages. Then they spend their money, which is used by other people to ADD VALUE through their work. And so on. It's not just money that is circulating, it's labor.
    That's what cutting taxes does, too, except it actually works.

    If the government is going to give the money away anyway, why not just cut taxes? Oh yeah, it's because the government wants control.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    How exactly are they in the way? What is stopping people from borrowing that money? Banks are eager to loan, interest rates are low.

    The reason they aren't borrowing it is because they have no customers because there's a recession.



    Yeah, right.

    People aren't spending because they don't have any dollars because they have no jobs. Or they fear losing their job.



    Yeah yeah yeah. Socialism, etc.
    Banks will loan IF you have 30 percent to put down and perfect credit.

    Lots and lots and lots of people have money to invest in the market. It's buried in their back yards right now because they're waiting for certainty that Obama won't make them pay for doing so.

    Yep, your leader is further left than most socialist countries already are.

  10. #100
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: LA Times: Obama stimulus spending: $246,436 per new job

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    That's what cutting taxes does, too, except it actually works.

    If the government is going to give the money away anyway, why not just cut taxes? Oh yeah, it's because the government wants control.
    No, it's because tax cuts go mostly to the wealthy, who are less likely to spend the money immediately. They will stash it away. We need spending, now.

Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •