Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Man Controls Cybernetic Hand with Thoughts.

  1. #1
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Man Controls Cybernetic Hand with Thoughts.

    Man controls cybernetic hand with thoughts | Crave - CNET

    European scientists have successfully built a brain-controlled bionic hand that could be used to kill or maim hundreds of humans in the coming robot versus humans' civil war. Or, far more admirably, allow amputees to feel hand sensations and manipulate their limb--via the brain--as if it were still there.
    This is pretty damn cool. Imagine what this technology could do for amputees all over the world once it's perfected and on the market.

    Then again, how long will it be before some idiot decides he'd rather have a bionic hand than a real one and cuts his own arm off for no reason?
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  2. #2
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Man Controls Cybernetic Hand with Thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Then again, how long will it be before some idiot decides he'd rather have a bionic hand than a real one and cuts his own arm off for no reason?
    How long until the bionic hands are better? As soon as they produce a bionic hand that I can leave attached overnight, that doesn't get tired like my hands, without sacrificing sensitivity and fine control, I'll be looking to replace the ones I was born with.

    Bonus points for studded knuckles.

  3. #3
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,008

    Re: Man Controls Cybernetic Hand with Thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    How long until the bionic hands are better? As soon as they produce a bionic hand that I can leave attached overnight, that doesn't get tired like my hands, without sacrificing sensitivity and fine control, I'll be looking to replace the ones I was born with.

    Bonus points for studded knuckles.
    Ill wait till they have complex algorithms for my limbs. It would be bad assed to just look at someone and think-boot a program to make you perform all the moves of your favorite martial arts an their frail non-metallic bodies.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  4. #4
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Man Controls Cybernetic Hand with Thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Ill wait till they have complex algorithms for my limbs. It would be bad assed to just look at someone and think-boot a program to make you perform all the moves of your favorite martial arts an their frail non-metallic bodies.
    The amount of coordination that would require between all four limbs and your trunk muscles means that it would be easier to run such a thing through the motion controls of the brain-- no cyberlimbs required. Though, it would be nice to make sure your bones could withstand the forces generated by your favorite martial arts.

    Mine can't. X-Rays of my hands look like I've got spiders living in them.

  5. #5
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Man Controls Cybernetic Hand with Thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    The amount of coordination that would require between all four limbs and your trunk muscles means that it would be easier to run such a thing through the motion controls of the brain-- no cyberlimbs required. Though, it would be nice to make sure your bones could withstand the forces generated by your favorite martial arts.

    Mine can't. X-Rays of my hands look like I've got spiders living in them.
    I wonder how long it will before the control can be done wirelessly? Imagine soldiers controlling androform fighting machines with their thoughts rather than taking their own frail human bodies into a warzone. I can't imagine that the government isn't already researching this.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Man Controls Cybernetic Hand with Thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I wonder how long it will before the control can be done wirelessly? Imagine soldiers controlling androform fighting machines with their thoughts rather than taking their own frail human bodies into a warzone. I can't imagine that the government isn't already researching this.
    Terminator is not that far off, look at what drones can do....

  7. #7
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Man Controls Cybernetic Hand with Thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    Terminator is not that far off, look at what drones can do....
    If I'm not mistaken, those are still controlled by human operators though.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  8. #8
    Advisor Polynikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-04-13 @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    522

    Re: Man Controls Cybernetic Hand with Thoughts.

    Which do you guys think will come first, the technology for cybernetic limbs that are better than or equal to our biological limbs, or the technology to grow new limbs?
    "I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country." -Jefferson

  9. #9
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,008

    Re: Man Controls Cybernetic Hand with Thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    Which do you guys think will come first, the technology for cybernetic limbs that are better than or equal to our biological limbs, or the technology to grow new limbs?
    Technology and nature will meld perfectly eventually.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  10. #10
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Man Controls Cybernetic Hand with Thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    Which do you guys think will come first, the technology for cybernetic limbs that are better than or equal to our biological limbs, or the technology to grow new limbs?
    Very interesting question. There have been advances in both fields lately. I suspect they'll evolve pretty much in parallel.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •