Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 93

Thread: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    By choice or because of a job?
    By her choice.

    Someone at work asked me why we were separated. After thinking of a way to say it succinctly in a work environment (I didn't want to go into details) I came up with this:

    Both of us are guilty, it's not me but it's not all her either. This is only my side so take it with a grain of salt, but whereas I got help with my issues and and am willing to do much more, she refuses to put in any effort towards reconciliation. I ignored a big red flag before we got married when she refused to attend pre-marital counseling.

  2. #72
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    More denial on your part.
    The intelligent rebuttal is that you have not shown the conditions upon which you base your argument to be true. Until you do that, there's no reason to discuss your argument.
    There is no reason to discuss my argument? Yup, you are running away sure as ****. I provided evidence to support my argument. Only you have provided no evidence, and only you have failed to dismiss my charge. And it was an incredibly simple charge.

    Of course you do - because you really have no interest in doing anythng other than attacking those that oppose gay marriage. You havent SHOWN any hypocrisy, you simply claim it and then attack.

    So much for critical thinking.

    You may now run away, tail properly tucked.
    Let me give you a lesson in critical thinking. Critical thinkers don't say **** like, "there is no reason to discuss" when a reasonable charge has been made. You can choose to ignore it because you got confused and thought for some reason that I had to prove that money came from alleviating the effects of no fault divorce and women leaving home to work to fighting gay marriage, but I never had to meet that criteria. That was an arbitrary and irrational criteria that you established. For the position that I was arguing I only had to state that most of the money was being distributed toward combating gay marriage and not towards the leading factors that cause gay marriage to decline. You failed to utilize critical thinking. Now lets see if you even reply to this thread, or if it is in fact, you who ran with his tail properly tucked.

  3. #73
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,066

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Allow me to repeat myself:
    ...indeed, the continuance of a marriage that breaks all of the normalities of marriage does more to defile the institution than ending that marriage.



    Please explain. At first blush this makes little sense. It seems to me divorce (the ease at which one can end a marriage) is a much bigger threat to the institution of marriage than marriages amongst a fringe element of our culture.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Allow me to repeat myself:
    ...indeed, the continuance of a marriage that breaks all of the normalities of marriage does more to defile the institution than ending that marriage.



    Please explain. At first blush this makes little sense. It seems to me divorce (the ease at which one can end a marriage) is a much bigger threat to the institution of marriage than marriages amongst a fringe element of our culture.
    Divorce is usually what happens when people who didn't respect marriage to begin with enter a marriage they should not have.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Because they aren't stupid.

    Never mind the fact that there's no necessary relationship between 'the sanctity of the intisution of marriage' and 'the perpituity of a given marriage' -- indeed, the continuance of a marriage that breaks all of the normalities of marriage does more to defile the insitution than ending that marriage.
    The legal institution was defiled from day one when it was invented by the ancient Egyptians to officalize male property rights over underage girls and concubines. The legal contract has never been about "love" or "dedication" (if that's not obvious). The legal institution should be done away with and "marriage" can remain a ceremony.

  6. #76
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    There is no reason to discuss my argument? '
    Given you have not shown the basis of your argument to be factual, no.
    Why should I bother discussing something that you cannot show to be true?

    Yup, you are running away sure as ****.
    Says he who has gone well out of his way to avoid having to show that the basis for his argument is factual.

    I provided evidence to support my argument.
    You did not provide the -proper- evidence, as I have noted repeatedly.

    Let me give you a lesson in critical thinking...
    Its plain to everyoe that you do not possess the ability necessary to do so.

    You may continue to tuck tail.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 12-03-09 at 02:14 PM.

  7. #77
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Allow me to repeat myself:
    ...indeed, the continuance of a marriage that breaks all of the normalities of marriage does more to defile the institution than ending that marriage.
    Please explain. At first blush this makes little sense. It seems to me divorce (the ease at which one can end a marriage) is a much bigger threat to the institution of marriage than marriages amongst a fringe element of our culture.
    Certainly, as I think you didnt get my meaning.

    Marriage has certain tenets, as expressed in the vows taken when the marriage is created -- fidelty, for instance.

    A marriage that wantonly defies these tenets -- one where one or both people are continually sleeping around -- does more to harm the insitution of marriage than divorce, as it makes a mockery of what is 'sacred' about marriage.

  8. #78
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Obviously a move by the gay community to put pressure on the legal system. It won't work.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #79
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Given you have not shown the basis of your argument to be factual, no.
    Why should I bother discussing something that you cannot show to be true?


    Says he who has gone well out of his way to avoid having to show that the basis for his argument is factual.


    You did not provide the -proper- evidence, as I have noted repeatedly.


    Its plain to everyoe that you do not possess the ability necessary to do so.

    You may continue to tuck tail.
    It seems we are just going to have to agree to disagree for the time being. This will just end up turning into a flame war at this rate. I still feel my argument is sufficient, but if you feel that gay marriage is a great enough threat to traditional marriage to justify the money, time, and effort that the anti-gm movement is putting out while doing little to nothing for the effects of no fault divorce and women leaving home to work, then I guess that is your opinion. I can respectfully disagree.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    FINALLY!!! a thread addressing the divorce rate as it pertains to the same-sex marriage debate!!!! My prayers have been answered and I hope that not only does this get on the ballot but by some massive joke it passes.

    Someone call /b/, I smell a raid...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •