Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 93

Thread: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

  1. #21
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    If you want to use the word "sanctity", then there certainly is a relationship.
    There -might- be -some- relationship, but there isn't a -necessary- relationship. Not -every- marriage need last into perpituity for the sanctity of marriage to be preserved.

    Obviously, the preferred condition is for all marriages to adhere to the tenets of marriage and last in perpituity, but its foolish to expect this will happen. Given that, if the sanctity of marriage is the goal, and that goal will never be fully realized, then the rational thing to do is to protect the sanctity as much as possible.

    As I said, married couples making a mockery of marriage by not acting under the its usual auspices do more to harm the 'sanctity' of marriage than allowing a marriage to end. By ending these marriages rather than forcing them to contiuue, the mockery ends, and the sanctity is better defended than if those marrigaes been forced to continue.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 12-01-09 at 04:13 PM.

  2. #22
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    There -might- be -some- relationship, but there isn't a -necessary- relationship. Not -every- marriage need last into perpituity for the sanctity of marriage to be preserved.

    Obviously, the preferred condition is for all marriages to adhere to the tenets of marriage and last in perpituity, but its foolish to expect this will happen. Given that, if the sanctity of marriage is the goal, and that goal will never be fully realized, then the rational thing to do is to protect the sanctity as much as possible by.

    As I said, married couples making a mockery of marriage by not acting under the its usual auspices do more to harm the 'snctity' of marriage than allowing a marriage to end. By ending these marriages rather than forcing them to contiuue, the mockery ends, and the sanctity is better defended than if those marrigaes been forced to continue.
    Lookit the boy DANCE!

  3. #23
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    If you really thought this through, then you would realize that those who have pushed through an anti same sex marriage agenda have done considerably more harm to traditional marriage than simply allowing same sex marriage ever could have done.
    My justification for this argument...
    I woud have relaized it if I supposed the argument againast gay marriage and the half-centruy decline of tradtitional marriage were significantly related, and assumed that your "this leaves two choices' position was not a false dichotomy.

    I doubt many, if any, opponents of same-sex marriage base their position on the -current and past- decline of marriage, as this decline had been going on for some time prior to the pop-culture advent of the same-sex marriage topic. It is very likely that this decline -is- related to changes in societal conceptulaization of reproductive rights, but to significantly attach the same-sex marriage argument in this regard is unsupportable.

    That is, the hippies didnt decide it was OK to screw everyone they could because they were swayed by the 'you dont have to be able to have kids to get married' argument.

    So, I disagree with your position.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 12-01-09 at 04:18 PM.

  4. #24
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Lookit the boy DANCE!
    Given your posts, it's not a surprise that you do not reconize a reasonable argument, even when it whacks you upside the head.

  5. #25
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Given your posts, it's not a surprise that you do not reconize a reasonable argument, even when it whacks you upside the head.
    There IS no reasonable argument against gay marriage. Keep dancin'.

  6. #26
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    There IS no reasonable argument against gay marriage. Keep dancin'
    I'm sorry -- where did I argue against gay marriage?

    Again - you aren't bothering to actually read what I post.
    Why don't you do that and respond to it, rather than respond with igorant, infantile one-liners?

  7. #27
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I'm sorry -- where did I argue against gay marriage?
    So, you're pro gay marriage?

  8. #28
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    So, you're pro gay marriage?
    Irrelevant to my point here, whch is that not arguing to ban divorce does NOT equate to a contradiction of the 'sanctity of marriage' argument, as divorce, while regrettable, is a means by which the sanctity of marriage may be better preserved.

    Please DO pay attention.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Banning divorce would be unconstitutional.

  10. #30
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Movement under way in California to ban divorce

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Banning divorce would be unconstitutional.


    Divorce is tradition, that's about it.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •