Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 153

Thread: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    I see....
    It's trolling when you disagree with my position....
    Ok, how about they spend that time on DUI patrol?....
    Or better yet looking for prostitution or kiddie porn offenders....
    No, it isn't because I disagree with your position. It is because you are willfully bringing an inflammatory position about illegal mexican immigration into a thread about some kid in Wisconsin having his rights violated.

    I have no problem with the other two uses of the police's time.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    i'm pretty sure it is the cops job to enforce the law and maintain order, hypothetically the kid could've got really pissed, thus losing alot of common sense and grabbed a kitchen knife and tried to mug someone or something like that.
    Yea, that seems really plausible...

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Facebook and myspace are valuable investigative tools, however, it's a huge waste of officer time to investigate a STATUS OFFENSE on facebook. Furthermore, I wonder what court would uphold this charge?

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Facebook and myspace are valuable investigative tools, however, it's a huge waste of officer time to investigate a STATUS OFFENSE on facebook.
    I imagine they are great investigative tools if an officer is already pursuing an investigation. But just throwing a net out on facebook and hoping to catch something isn't exactly a worthy pursuit of the public safety officers.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I imagine they are great investigative tools if an officer is already pursuing an investigation. But just throwing a net out on facebook and hoping to catch something isn't exactly a worthy pursuit of the public safety officers.
    Exactly right. These are good investigative tools for pursuing group conspiracy charges, or gang enhancements to an existing criminal activity, etc. Using it as the primary basis for busting someone is questionable, IMO. Especially if you have to ask to be added as a friend. That adds a step to the process that makes me question the legality of it. It would be different if this were public information readily viewable by anyone (though it is still not a basis for pursuing a minor in possession of alcohol charge, IMO). I hope he's hired an attorney.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    No, it isn't because I disagree with your position. It is because you are willfully bringing an inflammatory position about illegal mexican immigration into a thread about some kid in Wisconsin having his rights violated.

    I have no problem with the other two uses of the police's time.
    Wisconsin is a border state, FYI.....

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    Wisconsin is a border state, FYI.....
    Yes, we're simply being overwhelmed by mass immigration from canuckistan. They want access to our free healthcare and social services.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Yes, we're simply being overwhelmed by mass immigration from canuckistan. They want access to our free healthcare and social services.
    It does exist, & it is mainly Muslims who use the north route, because access to Canada is so easy....
    Can we get back on topic?.....

  9. #59
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-21-11 @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    471

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    It does exist, & it is mainly Muslims who use the north route, because access to Canada is so easy....
    That's how Barack Obama got elected. Millions of America-hating black Muslims streamed into America through the porous US-Canada border and each of their votes got counted twice for every white man's.
    Pan-Humanist Movement
    “The only real nation is humanity” ~ Paul Farmer

  10. #60
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    WTF!?

    Is it ok for the police to use facebook and other social websites to *enforce* the law? I think this is a privacy issue.

    What do you think?
    I can understand your concern, however, I use social websites such as Face Book and MySpace all the time to track down individuals. I confess that I have even resorted to trickery, when the situation called for it, to get the respondant to come out into the open.

    It is a very effective tool. And until it is determined that it is illegal, we will use any tool available to us to get the job done. I totally understand where the cops are coming from.

    But, all that being said, something about it does kinda stick in my crawl. But I doubt I will get on a soapbox about it knowing that the criminal element and those who walk on the other side of the line use tools far more destructive as a means to their end. But bustin' college kids for posing with a beer or a bong is a bit petty in my personal opinion. There are bigger fish to fry.

    I suppose all's fair in love and war.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •