Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 153

Thread: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    I'm surprised this stuck. Wouldn't they have to actually prove that it was a beer he was holding and not just an empty beer bottle with fluid in it?

  2. #32
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    i'm pretty sure it is the cops job to enforce the law and maintain order, hypothetically the kid could've got really pissed, thus losing alot of common sense and grabbed a kitchen knife and tried to mug someone or something like that.
    Wtf?
    All this took place after the drinking was long over and the kid was sober.
    So your hypothetical has no bearing on what actually took place.

    Now if the police were watching a live camera feed and saw a kid opening up and drinking from a beer bottle, your hypothetical might just apply.

  3. #33
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    i'm pretty sure it is the cops job to enforce the law and maintain order, hypothetically the kid could've got really pissed, thus losing alot of common sense and grabbed a kitchen knife and tried to mug someone or something like that.
    Isn't that hypothetical just as likely (or realistically, unlikely) with a 21-year-old as it is with a 19-year old?

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    WTF!?

    Is it ok for the police to use facebook and other social websites to *enforce* the law? I think this is a privacy issue.

    What do you think?
    I think people ought to be careful online. I heard about an education student being denied her credential because of online photos of her drinking and partying.

    Regarding this case, the cops ought to go catch some real criminals. Wasting their time on this piddly crap is ridiculous.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    WTF!?

    Is it ok for the police to use facebook and other social websites to *enforce* the law? I think this is a privacy issue.

    What do you think?
    I agree on one hand, on the other... releasing to the public pictures of yourself engaged in illegal activity is just plain STUPID. Darwin in action sort of dumb.

    If had pictures of him with an underages girl would it be a privacy issue?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I agree on one hand, on the other... releasing to the public pictures of yourself engaged in illegal activity is just plain STUPID. Darwin in action sort of dumb.

    If had pictures of him with an underages girl would it be a privacy issue?
    Technically, yes, unless it was reported to the police.

    In this case, the police threw out a net and hoped to catch something in it. In this kid's instance, it was after the fact with no real way to prove or disprove the suspicion unless, somehow, technology suddenly develops the ability to take a material sample from a glass in a picture.

  7. #37
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Technically, yes, unless it was reported to the police.

    In this case, the police threw out a net and hoped to catch something in it. In this kid's instance, it was after the fact with no real way to prove or disprove the suspicion unless, somehow, technology suddenly develops the ability to take a material sample from a glass in a picture.
    He pleaded no contest, it is enough to conclude the case and it tdoesnt require a forensic scientist either.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    He pleaded no contest, it is enough to conclude the case and it tdoesnt require a forensic scientist either.
    He pled no contest. That is not an admission of guilt in American courts. It basically means that "I am not confessing guilt but I don't have the resources to fight the court system so I throw myself on the mercy of the court".

    That, however, fails to address all the privacy issues involved with this and the complete waste of public safety resources pursuing something like this.

  9. #39
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Not all laws need to be enforced this vigourosly, especially when other laws supercede underaged drinking in terms of enforcement priority. Every second this officer spent on Facebook could have been put to better use serving the public.
    Im sure one police officer isnt going to make a drastic difference to the public. I have come of the belief that when a law is broken regardless of what law is of more importance over another is irrelevant; if a law is broken, a law is broken, no matter how small or insignificant you think it is, it is to be enforced.

    Police officers are supposed to be members of their community; this one was acting more like an overly invasive stranger.
    He didnt force his way in. The guy certainly didnt know the person he was adding in the first place, regardless if the police officer was pretending to be someone else. What part is invasive against his will?

    But how does it serve the public interest? The police don't HAVE to enforce that law, they simply choose to.
    What public interest does a law forbidding under aged drinking serve the public interest? If you believe it does serve the public interest, then he was simply enforcing this law. If you dont think it serves the public interest, then thats something you'll have to bring up with the authorities, because a law is broken, no matter how pathetic, its a police officer's duty to enforce it.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  10. #40
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Facebook friend turns into Big Brother

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    He pled no contest. That is not an admission of guilt in American courts. It basically means that "I am not confessing guilt but I don't have the resources to fight the court system so I throw myself on the mercy of the court".
    Ok but read the highlighted text. He had the lawyer and the means to revoke such an accusation made against him and he chose not to, so the court acted on it.

    That, however, fails to address all the privacy issues involved with this and the complete waste of public safety resources pursuing something like this.
    What privacy issues? He added a stranger, he accepted willingly, and i see no public safety resources being wasted apart from a broadband bill.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •