Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 128

Thread: Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Paying for medical expenses based on one's benefits is what insurance companies do. Providing medical diagnosis/recommendations is NOT. That's what physicians do.
    That's why health insurance companies hire physicians to make such determinations.

    I once had a doctor order over $3,000 worth of tests on me and it turned out they were totally unnecessary. Do you honestly think my insurance company should've forked over the money without any consideration or analysis?

  2. #62
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    That's why health insurance companies hire physicians to make such determinations.
    These physicians never see the patient. Their determination is unethical, without merit and a conflict of interest. Under no circumstances should they be allowed to make medical decisions on a patient that they have not seen, nor should they be allowed to overrule a medical decision by the treating provider.

    I once had a doctor order over $3,000 worth of tests on me and it turned out they were totally unnecessary. Do you honestly think my insurance company should've forked over the money without any consideration or analysis?
    If the doctor made the decision based on ethical standards of practice and in an effort to treat you, absolutely.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let's not forget that there are some doctors who go nuts spending the insurance company's money. I have a neighbor and a sister who I feel have been physically abused by their doctors by doing tests and surgeries that did no good, and in fact caused some harm.
    Not all doctors can be trusted with our bodies, or our money...
    There are folks who are unethical in every profession. Here's the thing, though. You have the folks at the insurance company...who's job it is to save money, making decisions on how to treat a patient. This is an absolute conflict of interest. This is the ONE practice that needs to be done away with, completely.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #64
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    These physicians never see the patient. Their determination is unethical, without merit and a conflict of interest. Under no circumstances should they be allowed to make medical decisions on a patient that they have not seen, nor should they be allowed to overrule a medical decision by the treating provider.
    They aren't, for the most part. They are simply determining how much the physician should charge, not whether he should undertake the treatment.

    On the other hand, you are basically arguing that a doctor can do whatever he wants and expect unlimited payment. It doesn't work that way. If someone is paying for something, they have a legitimate interest in it, and have a right to second-guess decisions to a certain extent.

  5. #65
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    If the doctor made the decision based on ethical standards of practice and in an effort to treat you, absolutely.
    If they were required to do that, what's likely is that they would pay - and then drop you and/or your doctor from all further coverage. Not a good way to do business.

    Of course, part of what the insurance company is doing when it reviews payments is deciding whether ethical standards of practice were followed. Is it ethical to do completely unnecessary treatments or tests? I don't think so.
    Last edited by misterman; 11-24-09 at 03:07 PM.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    That's why health insurance companies hire physicians to make such determinations.

    I once had a doctor order over $3,000 worth of tests on me and it turned out they were totally unnecessary. Do you honestly think my insurance company should've forked over the money without any consideration or analysis?
    It's not your insurance company's place to decide what tests you need and which you do not.

    That is beyond their scope. They should never involve themselves in such matters.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    It's not your insurance company's place to decide what tests you need and which you do not.

    That is beyond their scope. They should never involve themselves in such matters.
    Then there should be a third party that agrees to take legal responsibility if the patient decides to sue.

    Some doctors do order unnecessary diagnostics. They may be a new doctor and extra cautious due to inexperience. They may be an old doctor who has been sued in the past, leading to paranoia. It may be a doctor who had an unfortunate sentinel event because a test was not ordered. There are many scenarios.

    In real life there are patients who come through ERs feigning chest pain because they know they will get IV morphine and a private room, complete with room service. What do you do about these patients? They are the veritable boy who cries wolf. You have little old ladies who arrive 'suitcase in hand' (otherwise known as have a 'positive suitcase sign') to the ER with every stomach ache or headache. Their pain is 10 on a scale from 1-10 (with 10 being the worst).

    The drug seeker has tattoos up the yin-yang, including two charming swastikas decorating both forearms. His druggie girlfriend spends the night too (in his bed) demanding a guest tray.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    Then there should be a third party that agrees to take legal responsibility if the patient decides to sue.

    Some doctors do order unnecessary diagnostics. They may be a new doctor and extra cautious due to inexperience. They may be an old doctor who has been sued in the past, leading to paranoia. It may be a doctor who had an unfortunate sentinel event because a test was not ordered. There are many scenarios.

    In real life there are patients who come through ERs feigning chest pain because they know they will get IV morphine and a private room, complete with room service. What do you do about these patients? They are the veritable boy who cries wolf. You have little old ladies who arrive 'suitcase in hand' (otherwise known as have a 'positive suitcase sign') to the ER with every stomach ache or headache. Their pain is 10 on a scale from 1-10 (with 10 being the worst).

    The drug seeker has tattoos up the yin-yang, including two charming swastikas decorating both forearms. His druggie girlfriend spends the night too (in his bed) demanding a guest tray.
    Regardless, this type of situation is purely medical. As such, the insurance company needs to stay the hell out of it.

  9. #69
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    It's not your insurance company's place to decide what tests you need and which you do not.

    That is beyond their scope. They should never involve themselves in such matters.
    By that logic, we should have no say in what the insurance companies charge us.....

    If we want doctors to have unlimited control over our treatment, we better be very careful about choosing our doctors. It isn't just insurance companies who are potentially "greedy".

    We are currently suffering a recession because our wise and benevolent leaders thought the banks could regulate themselves....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #70
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Regardless, this type of situation is purely medical. As such, the insurance company needs to stay the hell out of it.
    The insurance company already has a long list of tests and procedures that it will, and will not, pay for.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •