Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: WWII in HD

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    WWII in HD

    I know the premier week is almost over, but History channel will no doubt run this continually for the next few weeks.

    This is a vital piece of History as seen through the eyes of 12 young men and women. Narrated by Gary Sinise.


    World War 2 in High Definition - History.com

  2. #2
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: WWII in HD

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I know the premier week is almost over, but History channel will no doubt run this continually for the next few weeks.

    This is a vital piece of History as seen through the eyes of 12 young men and women. Narrated by Gary Sinise.


    World War 2 in High Definition - History.com
    I've been watching it and find it addictive.

    OBL 11/24/02

  3. #3
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: WWII in HD

    Watching it now. Great stuff. Some stuff, especially on the Pacific theater, is a bit graphic.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: WWII in HD

    I almost cried at parts.

  5. #5
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: WWII in HD

    The mass suicides at Saipan were horrifying

  6. #6
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: WWII in HD

    What with the regular broadcasts and the daily repeat broadcasts it's hard to know which ones I'm seeing. Unlike the series Band of Brothers, for example, they don't list the episode number at the start of each segment.

    OBL 11/24/02

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: WWII in HD

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    What with the regular broadcasts and the daily repeat broadcasts it's hard to know which ones I'm seeing. Unlike the series Band of Brothers, for example, they don't list the episode number at the start of each segment.
    I think they play each episode that has been already aired, in order, and they repeat them in series each night, and into the wee morning hours (That's when I catch them the 2nd time around)

  8. #8
    Educator
    Mika-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    quantum paradox
    Last Seen
    09-25-12 @ 06:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: WWII in HD

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I know the premier week is almost over, but History channel will no doubt run this continually for the next few weeks.

    This is a vital piece of History as seen through the eyes of 12 young men and women. Narrated by Gary Sinise.


    World War 2 in High Definition - History.com
    I thought it was a terrific series.

    I do find many of these series tend to look at the war from the perspective of the Americans so as a Canadian, I sometimes find it does not give enough attention to the other allied efforts, but then I appreciate who made it and it was intended to provide the American perspective.

    For me though I wish I could find more documentaries that also show what Canada, the British, the Australians, New Zealanders, etc., did.

    This series was very moving. Excellent job.

    My father served in the Royal Canadian Air Force in World War Two and I had an Uncle serve in the U.S. armed forces and a third cousin serve as a psychiatrist in the U.S. Army in WW2 and half my family came from the Jewish community of Shanghai, China, and so I know much of what happened in the Pacific theatre and in particular how Japan dealt with the British and Canadians in Hong Kong, Shanghai, as well as Chinese nationals.

    My mother went to Japan to get over her fear of Japanese before she died. I understand why soldiers who fought in the Pacific (mostly the Americans but Canadians and British and Australians and New Zealanders, Indians, etc.)
    can't speak of certain things.

    Then again the other half of my family had to deal with the holocaust so either way I look at this war it has an immediate connection and when I look at these soldiers, I can't imagine what would happen if they didn't do what they did.

    I think these series are important to remind us of their contribution so we can live the way we do today.

    For me what gets me is when you see how young some of those guys were or when I did research to find out just how bad the pow camps were in the Pacific, etc., or the extent of the hand to hand combat, etc., like someone mentioned in battles such as the one on Saipan.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: WWII in HD

    Quote Originally Posted by Mika-El View Post
    I thought it was a terrific series.

    I do find many of these series tend to look at the war from the perspective of the Americans so as a Canadian, I sometimes find it does not give enough attention to the other allied efforts, but then I appreciate who made it and it was intended to provide the American perspective.

    For me though I wish I could find more documentaries that also show what Canada, the British, the Australians, New Zealanders, etc., did.

    This series was very moving. Excellent job.

    My father served in the Royal Canadian Air Force in World War Two and I had an Uncle serve in the U.S. armed forces and a third cousin serve as a psychiatrist in the U.S. Army in WW2 and half my family came from the Jewish community of Shanghai, China, and so I know much of what happened in the Pacific theatre and in particular how Japan dealt with the British and Canadians in Hong Kong, Shanghai, as well as Chinese nationals.

    My mother went to Japan to get over her fear of Japanese before she died. I understand why soldiers who fought in the Pacific (mostly the Americans but Canadians and British and Australians and New Zealanders, Indians, etc.)
    can't speak of certain things.

    Then again the other half of my family had to deal with the holocaust so either way I look at this war it has an immediate connection and when I look at these soldiers, I can't imagine what would happen if they didn't do what they did.

    I think these series are important to remind us of their contribution so we can live the way we do today.

    For me what gets me is when you see how young some of those guys were or when I did research to find out just how bad the pow camps were in the Pacific, etc., or the extent of the hand to hand combat, etc., like someone mentioned in battles such as the one on Saipan.

    Even before Call of Duty 3, I have loved everything you Canucks did for the war effort.

  10. #10
    Too big to fail
    niftydrifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    03-03-16 @ 03:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,725

    Re: WWII in HD

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Watching it now. Great stuff. Some stuff, especially on the Pacific theater, is a bit graphic.
    "Some stuff?" I thought nearly every bit of it was graphic. it's about a war.

    when bullets fly, those are intended to kill. We've been conditioned when seeing something like a mushroom cloud above an occupied city, to not consider it worse than an image of, say, someone's face blown off. But it is much worse than that.

    I can understand why they chose to use actor's voices. When that happens in documentaries, typically you don't see the real people. I liked it when they switched over to the real people telling their own stories.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3227&dateline=1247527  127

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •