Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 89

Thread: Where do people without health insurance live?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Where do people without health insurance live?

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    That catz likes UHC and broad generalizations about people
    Gosh, this represents some deep thinking here. Because, god knows, I'm a bleeding heart commie pinko liberal.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jefferson State
    Last Seen
    11-25-12 @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: Where do people without health insurance live?

    I don't have health insurance.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Where do people without health insurance live?

    You are not adequately represented on the map.

    My contention would be that people in the red states are more likely to be the working poor, particularly the rural poor, and that they do not have the opportunity to purchase health insurance through their employer, for a variety of reasons. For instance, people who work at Walmart in low-skills categories are usually kept at a 32-hour-per-week employment status so that Walmart can avoid the cost of providing health insurance.

    The assumption by many conservatives is that the people who don't have insurance coverage aren't willing to pay for it, or are on welfare. In fact, it isn't AVAILABLE to many Americans, and it is often extremely cost-prohibitive to those who are in the category of working poor. They earn too much to qualify for state benefits, but too little to afford insurance.

    These states are also, in many cases, "right to work" states, so people in the skilled trades, who would have had insurance benefits through a union in another state, instead work in small non-union shops without access to affordable healthcare benefits.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 11-12-09 at 12:26 PM.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Where do people without health insurance live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    The assumption by many conservatives is that the people who don't have insurance coverage aren't willing to pay for it, or are on welfare. In fact, it isn't AVAILABLE to many Americans, and it is often extremely cost-prohibitive to those who are in the category of working poor. They earn too much to qualify for state benefits, but too little to afford insurance.
    If they can't afford private insurance, they will likely not be able to afford public insurance, even though they will be forced to buy it. Few people making too much for Medicaid, but less than $30,000. can afford to pay 5% of their take home pay for the government option insurance they will forced to buy.

    These states are also, in many cases, "right to work" states, so people in the skilled trades, who would have had insurance benefits through a union in another state, instead work in small non-union shops without access to affordable healthcare benefits.
    Being in a union is no guarantee of insurance or other benefits. My daughter once worked in a union grocery store. She was forced to pay $30. a month in union dues, but was paid only $8. an hour, never got more than 30 hours a week, and received zero benefits. The union really did a lot of good for the people that worked in that business didn't it??

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Where do people without health insurance live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    If they can't afford private insurance, they will likely not be able to afford public insurance, even though they will be forced to buy it. Few people making too much for Medicaid, but less than $30,000. can afford to pay 5% of their take home pay for the government option insurance they will forced to buy.
    On the other hand, the rest of us are already paying for them. These people seek out healthcare, typically through the Emergency Room, and the rest of us, with health insurance, end up paying for the cost of their care through higher insurance rates already. This will hopefully stabilize this system. I would prefer to see subsidized clinics in low income neighborhoods with preventive care readily acccessible. That would ultimately be much cheaper than what we are currently doing.

    Being in a union is no guarantee of insurance or other benefits. My daughter once worked in a union grocery store. She was forced to pay $30. a month in union dues, but was paid only $8. an hour, never got more than 30 hours a week, and received zero benefits. The union really did a lot of good for the people that worked in that business didn't it?
    Your argument here is called a hasty generalization. It relies upon an isolated incident to make a larger argument, without sufficient basis. Overall, union employees in skilled trades are MORE likely, not less likely, to have health insurance coverage.

  6. #26
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Where do people without health insurance live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    If they can't afford private insurance, they will likely not be able to afford public insurance, even though they will be forced to buy it. Few people making too much for Medicaid, but less than $30,000. can afford to pay 5% of their take home pay for the government option insurance they will forced to buy.
    And if they do NOT buy insurance, thee will pay a tax penalty.
    Smooth, well-thought-out solution, that.

  7. #27
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,278

    Re: Where do people without health insurance live?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    I was wondering about that myself. These poor heathens by all rights should have not survived.
    Yeah, liberals are all for Darwinism, right? Survival of the fittest?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Where do people without health insurance live?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Yeah, liberals are all for Darwinism, right? Survival of the fittest?
    I personally am. Let's just cut straight to thunderdome and eliminate the middle-man.

  9. #29
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Where do people without health insurance live?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Yeah, liberals are all for Darwinism, right? Survival of the fittest?
    Isnt the purpose of government, at its very most basic level, to thwart Darwinism as it applies to humans?

  10. #30
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Where do people without health insurance live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    On the other hand, the rest of us are already paying for them. These people seek out healthcare, typically through the Emergency Room, and the rest of us, with health insurance, end up paying for the cost of their care through higher insurance rates already. This will hopefully stabilize this system. I would prefer to see subsidized clinics in low income neighborhoods with preventive care readily acccessible. That would ultimately be much cheaper than what we are currently doing
    .

    Very nice, but doesn't address the fact that millions of people are living on the edge already. An additional payout of 5% of their income will likely finish them off financially.

    Your argument here is called a hasty generalization. It relies upon an isolated incident to make a larger argument, without sufficient basis. Overall, union employees in skilled trades are MORE likely, not less likely, to have health insurance coverage.
    I didn't realize that I was required to post a couple dozen examples, although it wouldn't be that hard if I was so inclined. And... for the record, my example did NOT involve a skilled trade did it? Why should someone in an unskilled trade like a grocery store cashier bringing home $500./month with no benefits be forced to pay union dues. What exactly does the union do for them???

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •