Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Fort Hood jihadist's business card: "Soldier of Allah (SWT)"

  1. #21
    Educator
    Australianlibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Fort Hood jihadist's business card: "Soldier of Allah (SWT)"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    So is that anything like Soldiers for Christ?

    Or Soldier of Christ?
    This is a good point, however if there was evidence that a Christian soldier, was also in contact with extremist-Christian survivalist Groups, such a phrase on a business no longer seems so benign.

    Thus your argument is valid to a point, but it ignores context.
    Last edited by Australianlibertarian; 11-12-09 at 09:42 PM.

  2. #22
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Fort Hood jihadist's business card: "Soldier of Allah (SWT)"

    I guess it depends on what one defines as a terrorist attack.

  3. #23
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Fort Hood jihadist's business card: "Soldier of Allah (SWT)"

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    He was handing them out with the the Qur'an.
    I've never seen any psychiatrist hand out any religious material whatsoever in connection with his professional services. Were the business cards something he had made in connection with his military profession? Just curious about this, as it seems really strange to me.

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Fort Hood jihadist's business card: "Soldier of Allah (SWT)"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Still waiting on someone, maybe you, to prove this was actually a "terrorist attack" and not simply a deranged Muslim committing mass murder. That religion was a more dominant factor than his mental state.
    At the risk of overestimating myself, I wonder what standard of evidence you require in order to prove the truth of the matter asserted? The criminal standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt? The lesser standard of clear and convincing evidence? Or the general civil standard of proof by a preponderence of the evidence?

  5. #25
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Fort Hood jihadist's business card: "Soldier of Allah (SWT)"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Still waiting for you to figure out you're straw manning.
    And I'm still waiting for you to prve that this cat is just your garden variety nutjob. The evidence suggests something totally different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #26
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: Fort Hood jihadist's business card: "Soldier of Allah (SWT)"

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    At the risk of overestimating myself, I wonder what standard of evidence you require in order to prove the truth of the matter asserted? The criminal standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt? The lesser standard of clear and convincing evidence? Or the general civil standard of proof by a preponderence of the evidence?
    I think you will need DNA evidence linking Hasan to bin Laden to convince Lexrst.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  7. #27
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Fort Hood jihadist's business card: "Soldier of Allah (SWT)"

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    I think you will need DNA evidence linking Hasan to bin Laden to convince Lexrst.
    No doubt!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #28
    Educator
    Australianlibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Fort Hood jihadist's business card: "Soldier of Allah (SWT)"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Still waiting on someone, maybe you, to prove this was actually a "terrorist attack" and not simply a deranged Muslim committing mass murder. That religion was a more dominant factor than his mental state.
    And I would ask that you provide evidence supporting the notion that he was a crazed person.

  9. #29
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Fort Hood jihadist's business card: "Soldier of Allah (SWT)"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And I'm still waiting for you to prve that this cat is just your garden variety nutjob. The evidence suggests something totally different.
    Lerxst won't show you anything, he wants to believe this guy was just nuts and that his religion wasn't a factor.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Fort Hood jihadist's business card: "Soldier of Allah (SWT)"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Still waiting on someone, maybe you, to prove this was actually a "terrorist attack" and not simply a deranged Muslim committing mass murder. That religion was a more dominant factor than his mental state.
    I’ll see what I can do. Though partially its going to come down to the notion that it seems the only way you’d buy religion being at least equally, if not more, motivating of a factor for this then simply his mental state is if they do some kind of tests on him. However you’re leaping to the mental state conclusion just as rashly as those jumping to the “definitely religion dominant” conclusion are.

    Here you go, the argument that his extremist religious views at least were equally, if not more dominant, then any potential mental state ….

    First and foremost, whatever mental state he was in seems to be in part created due to the effect his religion had on him. The reason given for the “bullying” (not the right term but close enough) he sustained was that it was generally based around his religion (towel head, etc). It seems many close to the situation are pointing to his nearing deployment as the trigger for setting him over the edge. Why does it appear that the deployment bothered him so and put him in such a position to go over the edge? Because he felt that we were fighting against his brothers in Islam over there and that they were actually the ones fighting the just cause and was morally and spiritually opposed to it. This was a man whose routinely stated, from reports, his support or admirations for suicide bombers and others like them attacking the troops to send a message; and this support was based upon his extremist religious views.

    To me it seems pretty clear that you had a guy predisposed to being a loner, to likely needing some kind of all encompassing ideology to make sense of his life, had a persecution process, was likely frightened to go to war in general mixed with falling into an extremist sect of a religion that happens to be encompass many of the forces that he is supposed to be fighting against, joining together to culminate and give us what happened.

    I think if we were fighting, lets say Russia or China, that this guy would not have done this as some of the triggers (going to fight against what he views as his ideological brothers, being a greater target for ribbing by companions) would not be as prevalent. Similarly, if he had not fallen into this extreme sect of Islam I don’t believe he would’ve done this as again, the triggers wouldn’t have been as big. Likewise though, if he didn’t have the mental state and predisposition to the types of responses he had to various external hardships, this likely wouldn’t have happened, because the triggers wouldn’t be present.

    It was a mix in my mind of his mental state, his extremist views, and our current military situation combined that likely came together to cause him to act as he did imho. Take any one of those away, or weaken them substantially and I don’t think this happens. And as such I don’t think one can truly say that the mental part of it is so much more dominant, for the mental part of it likely wouldn’t have been triggered and spurred as great as it was if not for his extremist religious views. They go hand in hand in this imho.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •