Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Interview with the President: Jail Time for Those without Health Care Insurance?

  1. #61
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Interview with the President: Jail Time for Those without Health Care Insurance?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Mark my words...this isn't going to lead to jail time, but it will lead to families that don't comply having their income tax returns withheld by the IRS to pay for these penalties.
    More like whatever portion of the 2.5% they owe (if any) will be taken out of the return, resulting in return reduction rather than withholding of the return.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  2. #62
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Interview with the President: Jail Time for Those without Health Care Insurance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Obviously you have never had to deal with the IRS in an adversarial manner.
    If your suggestion is that the due process system for matters of taxation sucks, okay. So does the due process system for matters criminal. Speaking from experience with respect to criminal courts, it's not uncommon for innocent defendants to take a plea offered by the prosecution simply because they'd rather have the certainty of a shorter sentence instead of the high probability of a longer sentence.

    That doesn't mean that due process does not, in fact, exist. It just sucks.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #63
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Interview with the President: Jail Time for Those without Health Care Insurance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Been there..... It's the only place in this country where you are guilty until you prove you are innocent
    It seems like that a lot on the criminal side.

    Like I said, the due process system sucks, but it's still there.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #64
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Interview with the President: Jail Time for Those without Health Care Insurance?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Allow me to illustrate for you how these things are supposed to work:

    First person: Accusation of some sort regarding the subject at hand
    Second person: Expression of surprise and disbelief regarding the accusation
    First person: Production of evidence to reinforce accusation
    Second person: Reasoned response to evidence

    Now allow me to illustrate for you how you seem to want these things to work:

    First person: Accusation of some sort regarding the subject at hand
    Second person: Expression of surprise and disbelief regarding the accusation
    First person: Demand for evidence that disproves accusation
    Second person: Head explody

    That's not how it works in a court of law, that's not how it works in polite discourse between adults, and that's not how it's going to work here, sorry.

    Please produce your evidence backing up your claim regarding the "bill of attainder" nature of the health reform bill which passed the House, citing specific sections as appropriate.

    Thank you.
    Look, if you cannot show that the proposed fines allows for due process, just say so.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Interview with the President: Jail Time for Those without Health Care Insurance?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    More like whatever portion of the 2.5% they owe (if any) will be taken out of the return, resulting in return reduction rather than withholding of the return.
    You've never dealt with the IRS, obviously.

  6. #66
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Interview with the President: Jail Time for Those without Health Care Insurance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Look, if you cannot show that the proposed fines allows for due process, just say so.
    I can't believe you don't understand that it's not my job to prove that your accusation is false, it's your job to prove that your accusation is correct.

    Having already delved into 1990 pages of tripe, I'm not eager to do so again unless you are willing to expend that same kind effort to put some meat on the skeleton of your argument.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #67
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Interview with the President: Jail Time for Those without Health Care Insurance?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    You've never dealt with the IRS, obviously.
    Yes, I have, both as an independent businessman and an employee of a corporation.

    I've got plenty of experience sending in my quarterlies and having the return of those quarterlies reduced by my calculate tax liability on April 15th.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Interview with the President: Jail Time for Those without Health Care Insurance?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Yes, I have, both as an independent businessman and an employee of a corporation.

    I've got plenty of experience sending in my quarterlies and having the return of those quarterlies reduced by my calculate tax liability on April 15th.
    OK, whatever you say.

  9. #69
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Interview with the President: Jail Time for Those without Health Care Insurance?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I
    can't believe you don't understand that it's not my job to prove that your accusation is false, it's your job to prove that your accusation is correct.
    I cannot believe that you do not understand this.

    Its my assertion that someting does not exist. One cannot prove a negative, and so, if you disagree with my assertion, as you have, then it is up to you to show that it does exist. Its really that simple.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •