Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 272

Thread: Adult film director Max Hardcore sentenced to 4 years in prison on obscenity charges

  1. #171
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Adult film director Max Hardcore sentenced to 4 years in prison on obscenity char

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    It is. I play the violent video games frequently enough, but not frequently enough to be a gamer, per se. So to a degree, perhaps I could be considered a hypocrite.
    But you're not a hypocrite unless you want to censor other media, even those viewed only by adults, in private. Do you?

  2. #172
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: Adult film director Max Hardcore sentenced to 4 years in prison on obscenity char

    I'm wary of advocating actual censorship, but I am in favor of using public dissent to help enforce their current model of self-censorship, which is something the gaming community abhors.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 11-23-09 at 12:46 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #173
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Adult film director Max Hardcore sentenced to 4 years in prison on obscenity char

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I'm wary of advocating actual censorship, but I am in favor of using public dissent to help enforce their current model of self-censorship, which is something the gaming community abhors.
    What about in other media? Would you censor porn? Even if it's only viewed by adults in private?

  4. #174
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-16-10 @ 03:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    36

    Re: Adult film director Max Hardcore sentenced to 4 years in prison on obscenity char

    This trial had less to do with outlawing porn and more to do with some right wing Bush appointer prosecutor trying to make a name for himself. I hope some new Obama appointees to the bench will throw this crap out.

  5. #175
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,994

    Re: Adult film director Max Hardcore sentenced to 4 years in prison on obscenity char

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I'm loving where this thread is going.

    Haven't heard from the Rat, he must be busy cleaning up all the sadistic violence in his latest video game for kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I didn't say I don't give a damn about your opinion. I care very much about your opinion, so I can explain to you how completely insane it is. I said I don't care about your moral judgements. Those are irrelevant.

    Keep on scrubbing those video games, you wouldn't want to corrupt society.
    Why should he even bother responding to you when its so blatantly obvious you don't even bother to read and comprehend his posts but instead just want to continue making assumptions about what he thinks or what he says and deal with those assumptions rather than his views. How else can you explain those two quotes that came after a post where he clearly stated he doesn't make video games. More to the point, you actually QUOTED said post and replied to it, yet seemed to have completley missed the part, making it clear as daylight you're intent here isn't to debate him but to just rage against him because you dislike his general idea.

    I'm not anywhere near the extreme of Kori. I don't think the guy should be in prison. I don't necessarily think this kind of work should be banned. I do, however, think there's no problem in general with society basically looking upon such degradation focused porn as an "abnormal" thing.

    I'm not anywhere near the extreme of Riv. Riv, you know for a fact you're far from the average person sexually. Both in mentality and just background/history. In general, in a society, what is "normal" is defined by the majority. The same goes with what's "degrading". Its akin to public nudity. YOU may not find public nudity as offensive. However, because the majority of our society views gratuitous nudity as offensive its not allowed out in public, its not "normal". Just because you don't find it offensive doesn't mean, in a general sense, its "offensive". You could view personally find it degrading if someone calls you a Lazy Mother****er whose enormous stupidity is only surpased by the size of your ass because you don't let peoples words hurt you. That doesn't change the fact that "normally" or "generally" such comments are viewed as degrading. As such, yes, the majority of society and normal social standards views choking a woman while you gag her on your member before turning her around and using the resulting saliva as lubricant as "degrading" even if you don't on a personal level, and therefore in a general sense it is a "degrading" act.

    I disagree, strongly, with the notion that those that are watching this kind of "degredation" porn, especially men, are doing so while not thinking its degrading and that's why they like it. Much like rape, this kind of thing is the feeling of power. This kind of porn is popular amongst men I would imagine because its giving that alpha male mentality where a woman is nothing but a sex toy to do with and use as you see fit, but because the girl is submissive instead of flat out resisting its not "rape" so they can justify it in their mind. Its the same kind of guys that in college that would laugh about how they slipped it in the backdoor and made her scream, but she kept coming back the next week cause he was an upper classman and had bear.

    In college either 1st or 2nd hand I knew of plenty of girls, usually under classman, that ended up doing degrading type things in regards to sex. From being passed around to a variety of partners, to forced anal, to public sex, and onwards. Often, I'd wager, the girls did not do this because they got some kind of actual sexual thrill from it as much as for exterior reasons....popularity, acceptance, social status, booze, etc. I believe what Kori is arguing is that porn of this type gives people, especially men in this case, the idea that these kind of actions are okay, acceptable, and that women in general, not a minority of them, enjoy these kind of acts.

    There was a poster in this thread, forgive me that I forget who, that talked about how Video game defenders have lurched too far in their defenses, going to the point of excusing things that shouldn't be excused because the people attacking the genre are doing so in such large exaggerated measures. I agree with him completely, and I think it applies to this situation as well.

    I think those that think this man should be jailed, or that this type of thing should be banned through the government, are extremely over exaggerating the danger of these films and the boundries our government should go in regards to these issues. At the same time, in the defense of this man the other side I believe has reached too far and missed the mark, going so far as to seemingly correlate the type of things this man depicted in films as being really no different than two people doing general vanilla intercourse.

    I think this is where society fails in some of these aspects. So often you have one of two extreme's, and that's it. You have the people on one side that get offended by something that is outside the norm and instead of just treating it as abnormal, avoiding it, and discouraging it, they try to ban it. On the other side you have people that try to promote the abnormal/bad/deviant as something that is normal/good/healthy and completely fully acceptable for everyone in every way. Middle ground generally is only reached when one side is stopped and the issue is forced into the middle through gridlock.

    Max Hardcore should not be in jail. His videos should be able to sell. His videos are not normal depictions of sex, nor likely the most healthy of types. I personally don't find them very appealing, though at times maybe I'm feeling a bit kinky and one random one strikes my fancy. If so, so be it, its my right as an adult. But at the same time I'm not going to stand there and try to say that such is absolutely perfectly normal. No, its probably a bit abnormal, and I'm fine with accepting that and accepting that hey...maybe I'm a little abnormal.

    Abnormal doesn't necessarily mean bad.

    But perhaps this is my weird perspective as a guy who in a much lesser extreme has always been in a category that is looked at socially as abnormal and outside of the normal realm as a person that is into numerous things of the geek culture. I like roleplaying games, I like video games, fantasy novels intested me, sci-fi movies were always a favorite, comics were intriguing even though I didn't get into them a lot, anime people piss me off but the actual shows aren't bad. I can tell you what thac0 means and what someone means by "lf3m dps with 4k imba for TOGC10 on FC". I'm also never going to sit here and tell you that many of my geeky tendancies are "perfectly normal" because they're not really....but they're not "bad" simply because they're not normal.

    I've just come to understand that there are social stigmas. They're there. They're a part of a culture. Unless we want to live in isolated societies of singular people they're always going to be there. I have no real issues with them, strictly socially speaking. But I do not like when on a large, pervasive, unconstitutional scale the government begins to enforce those social stigmas to greatly on the general public without a good reason.

    In regards to public obscenitiy laws, the amount of people that would be affected by it, the amount of the majority that support it, and the uncontrolled nature of it makes it acceptable to m.e

    In regards to something like pornography or video games, restrictions on age are acceptable to me for the reasos stated above with obscenity laws. However, once such things are enacted, the scope of the benefit of outright bannishment shrinks and thus the needed positives of bannishment do not outweigh the negatives of it to me.

  6. #176
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Adult film director Max Hardcore sentenced to 4 years in prison on obscenity char

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Why should he even bother responding to you when its so blatantly obvious you don't even bother to read and comprehend his posts but instead just want to continue making assumptions about what he thinks or what he says and deal with those assumptions rather than his views.
    Pretty much sounds like what he's doing to me when he says I can't handle watching certain films.

  7. #177
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,994

    Re: Adult film director Max Hardcore sentenced to 4 years in prison on obscenity char

    Right, thanks for confirming my belief in the type of poster you are rather quickly.

  8. #178
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Adult film director Max Hardcore sentenced to 4 years in prison on obscenity char

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Right, thanks for confirming my belief in the type of poster you are rather quickly.
    I think I'm a damn good poster, offering lots of substance and rational argument. I don't have time to convince everyone to like me though. Ignore me if you don't.

  9. #179
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: Adult film director Max Hardcore sentenced to 4 years in prison on obscenity char

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    What about in other media? Would you censor porn? Even if it's only viewed by adults in private?
    To some extent, sure. Where I draw the line, well, that's difficult to answer. I did not necessarily agree with charging Max Hardcore with the crimes, though, when I thought I last checked, I thought there was confusion with his case and what he did specifically (which obviously has probably changed, I just haven't kept up with any of it).

    There is difficulty in establishing what is harmless fantasy and irresponsible content.

    Likely, I am somewhat at comfort with the society we have, which is entirely paradoxical. We are obviously a very sexual culture that provides profit to the porn industry, yet we shun it. I'm comfortable with that notion.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #180
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Adult film director Max Hardcore sentenced to 4 years in prison on obscenity char

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    To some extent, sure. Where I draw the line, well, that's difficult to answer.
    Then you're a hypocrite. Sorry.

    What's wrong with simply letting me draw the line for me? I'll watch what I think is right, and not what I think isn't.

    There is difficulty in establishing what is harmless fantasy and irresponsible content.
    Sure is. And we all disagree on it. So just let each person decide what they watch.

    Likely, I am somewhat at comfort with the society we have, which is entirely paradoxical. We are obviously a very sexual culture that provides profit to the porn industry, yet we shun it. I'm comfortable with that notion.
    That's true. I think we shun it publicly but eat it up privately. Nothing new about that, many societies treat sex that way.

    There's another paradox we have though - we shun sex and porn, but eagerly embrace violence.

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •